× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backing up Windows Server 2012 to a ReadyNas3100 share

siliconaut
Aspirant

Backing up Windows Server 2012 to a ReadyNas3100 share

Hello everyone,

as stated above, I run into trouble backing up Windows Server 2012 to a share on an older ReadyNas 3100 Business Edition. I have no trouble accessing the share via windows explorer, but the Windows Backup Assistant always breaks off when trying to configure a scheduled backup. 

The error message says that the local computer cannot recognise the username used for the remote share, even though I have used the correct username and password. Could this be an SMB 2.0 related problem and is there a solution? Since they're employing two 3100s, I'd rather not tell my client to thrash them...

The firmware currently installed is RAIDiator 4.2.15.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

FWIW I have seen posts on issues with Windows backup on 2012 server and Windows 8 on other forums also.

@siliconaut wrote:

The firmware currently installed is RAIDiator 4.2.15.

4.2.30 is current.  4.2.15 was released in 2010.  I'd try upgrading one of the NAS first.

One workraound is to use an iSCSI LUN instead of a share for the destination.

Message 2 of 7
dmacleo
Guide

try smb 1 ran into this while back and I forget exact steps to correct but was smb related on both nas AND server.

iirc there was also local security policcy change on server to edit

Message 3 of 7
siliconaut
Aspirant

It seems to be a part of the problem - I finally figured out a solution that works for my case:

Windows Server 2012:

1) Show status of SMB protocols via powershell: 

"Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB1Protocol, EnableSMB2Protocol"

2) If SMB1 is not enabled:

"Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $true"

3) Important: Add the user that the planned backup is run with (in my case, the Server administrator's credentials) on the ReadyNAS with the appropriate rights (user and password must match the one on the server, lowercase and uppercase seem to matter)

After this, backups planned via Windows Server Backup no longer throw up errors and the nightly backup to the NAS works. Hope this helps others who run into similar problems with SMB.

Message 4 of 7
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

You can try again. In Available App list, installed SMB plus add-on and selected SMB 2.0, then Restart NAS.

Message 5 of 7
siliconaut
Aspirant

Amidala, thank you for your input; unfortunately, we're talking about an outdated version of RAIDiator and I guess there is no "install apps" feature here.

Message 6 of 7
dmacleo
Guide

even if it was available to the user smb2 could still cause errors on server 2012.

this is vista based server, smb 1 works.

most of config needed on server end anyways.

on server 2012r2 smb2 does work, also server 2012r2 essentials works with smb2.

I have not tested with server 2008r2 or sbs2011 based on 2008r2 but I think smb2 would work.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements