× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I access my itunes server remotely?

Riboflavin
Aspirant

Can I access my itunes server remotely?

I have a share setup on my RN102 (6.1.6) that contains MP3s, and is setup for iTunes streaming. It works great locally, I can see it in itunes and stream media etc. Is it possible to use this remotely? It would be nice if I could stream to my computer at work. I have searched the forums and found a lot of old info, I'm not sure which is still relevant. Do I need to install something like Firefly to make this work, or is the new itunes streaming stuff enough? Maybe if I install ReadyNAS Remote on my work computer it would see my nas in itunes?
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The itunes server installed in the RN102 is forked-daapd (basically like firefly), so that wouldn't help.

ReadyNAS remote should work, though the performance is uneven.
Message 2 of 5
Riboflavin
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
ReadyNAS remote should work, though the performance is uneven.

Not really following you there. So if I connect via remote I should see my shared media show up in itunes?
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Certainly readynas remote will let you access the shared media.

You could try adding the music/videos directly into iTunes running on the PC. Or if you see the iTunes shared library advertised, you can select that.

Though I don't use readynas remote, because I discovered years ago that it wasn't very reliable/fast. That may have changed, so it is worth a try.
Message 4 of 5
Riboflavin
Aspirant

Installed ReadyNAS Remote on the remote machine, opened up iTunes and there it is! Super easy 🙂
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements