× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can not turn off my ReadyNAS Duo

hanserik
Follower

Can not turn off my ReadyNAS Duo

I am using my ReadyNAS Duo to store picture and music files.
I have had acces to it from four different computers in my local network.
The computers have different OS; Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
It has worked well until yesterday.

Suddenly the ReadyNAS Duo disappared from the network.
I can not see it from Explorer and I can not find it with RAIDar.
I have upgraded RAIDar to version (I can not find the version number?).

I have the computer with RAIDar on the same part of the network as the ReadyNAS Duo.

I have tried to turn off ReadyNAS Duo, but it does not react on my pushing the button on the front.
Both green lamps are green with solid light. (I have two discs mirrored).

What can I do?
I have very importend data on my ReadyNAS.

/Hans
Message 1 of 25
Avorill
Aspirant

Re: Can not turn off my ReadyNAS Duo

I have almost the same problem.
I can see the nas NV+ V2 when I push 2 times on the bottom on the front panel it will not shut down, but the display list upp so I can see the ip and free space left but it will not shut down.
Message 2 of 25
rbspeedwagon
Aspirant

Hi there,

Has this problem been resolved? I'm having exactly the same issue (and I'm stoked that not only am I not alone, but I was able to find this thread!)

I'm using OS X Snow Leopard - the NAS appears in my Shared section of Finder, but won't connect, appear in Raidar or switch off when I hold the power button in.

Any clues? Thanks!
Message 3 of 25
essalp
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the same problem with my ReadyNAS Duo V1. It loses the connection to the network (and also Raidar) every day and the only way to get i back is to restart it. I can not turn it off and just have to "pull the plug". The data (mainly music) seams to be OK though.

I did a reset (not the full) a week ago and also updated the firmware and thought the problem was solved, but it came back after a day... 😞

Any ideas of what this could be? Is it a HW-problem? Should I get it/parts replaced?
Tanks!
Message 4 of 25
Solomon22
Aspirant

Hello. Bad Luck. I got same issue on January 27-28 of 2014. ReadyNas DUO V1 with 2 HDD 500GB each stopped turning off and turning on each day ( I scheduled the time). And stopped sending emails to me with problems reports. All lights are solid. Not blinking anything. I Push the power button but it won't power off. Raidar stopped seeing the NAS. When I remove plug and power it on again with power button, then it Raidar sees the NAS for some time showing FileSystem Check progress. all HDD leds in raider shows good state of HDDs. After FileSystem check comes to 100%, nothing is happening. NAS disappears from Raidar within 1 hour and no response from it again.
Its strange both of us got that problem at the same time with previous poster. HELP please.
Message 5 of 25
vandermerwe
Master

Do both of you definitely have Duo v1s?
http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how ... -or-nv-v2/

What firmware are you running?

If you can access the data, make sure it is backed up. This is the first difference between your problems, one of you can access data, the other cannot.

I'm not sure the problems are the same so you may want to start new threads ( separately) posting some more detail. Diagnosis and resolution by board users will be easier.

Things to post:
Model of NAS
Firmware version
Any history of hard drive errors or smart data if you can get it.
Whether you have done an OS reinstall?

A full OS partition (not a full volume) may explain this behaviour.
Message 6 of 25
Solomon22
Aspirant

One more question Does this NAS support files over 4GB size? I put some ISO DVDs there 3-4 days ago. Can be a reason?

Here is info of the NAS:
Model RND2000-100 (DUO V1)
Raidiator 4.1.13
Never did OS reinstall since I bought it
Pictures os SMART can attach, if you tell me how to attach it here
Message 7 of 25
vandermerwe
Master

File size is not a problem.
Can you delete your main logs as well as any backup job logs.
Checking the space in the OS partition would require ssh access.
An OS reinstall will almost certainly not help but is done using the boot menu. An OS reinstall does not destroy data, but you need to be careful not to do a factory default which will wipe your disks.
Message 8 of 25
Solomon22
Aspirant

Situation update. Didn't do anything with NAS until asking this forum.
Today decided to plug it off again and powered it with the power button again. It appeared in raider at once and began resyncing due to power loss. I can see it on the net and browse through folders.
Waiting for resync to complete. will update later
Message 9 of 25
vandermerwe
Master

Delete the logs anyway, it's good preventative maintenance.
Don't download them.
Message 10 of 25
Solomon22
Aspirant

You mean to Clear Logs in "Logs" Tab?
How do those texts affect the work of NAS?
Message 11 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Solomon22 wrote:
You mean to Clear Logs in "Logs" Tab?
How do those texts affect the work of NAS?
Your duo v1 has a 2 GB OS partition that you can't see unless you use ssh.

In addition to the Linux software, logs are stored there, also ReadyDLNA media databases and some other apps databases. As that partition gets full, the NAS begins to misbehave in a variety of ways, and eventually fails to boot.

When you download the logs, the NAS attempts to create a zip file (also on the OS partition), which is then downloaded to the PC. So if the partition is nearly full, downloading the logs can push the NAS over the edge.
Message 12 of 25
Solomon22
Aspirant

OH, thanks for such clear explaining. I never cleared logs for 2-3 years of using. Cleared all of them. NAS looks working at the moment. We`ll see next week.
Message 13 of 25
Solomon22
Aspirant

As soon as here appeared a few advanced geeks, could you please advise or link me to where I can find IP camera with 3G slot for sim cart or USB 3G Modem for x86 Readynas. I have the large list of compatible Readynas cameras with thousand of models but how to find a 3G model there I don't know. Please help.
Message 14 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Solomon22 wrote:
OH, thanks for such clear explaining. I never cleared logs for 2-3 years of using. Cleared all of them. NAS looks working at the moment. We`ll see next week.
It would be prudent to make a backup...

Solomon22 wrote:
As soon as here appeared a few advanced geeks, could you please advise or link me to where I can find IP camera with 3G slot for sim cart or USB 3G Modem for x86 Readynas. I have the large list of compatible Readynas cameras with thousand of models but how to find a 3G model there I don't know. Please help.
No advice on the main question, but wanted to point out that your duo v1 is not an x86 readynas. Also, the ultra/pro line have been discontinued, the going forward line is the RN1xx/RN3xx/RN5xx which run OS6.
Message 15 of 25
Solomon22
Aspirant

Yes I know DUO V1 is not compatible with any surveillance. I plan to get RN51600
Message 16 of 25
StephenB
Guru

If you are thinking about the netgear surveillance add-on, you should probably review the posts in the forum related to that.
Message 17 of 25
essalp
Aspirant

Info of the NAS
Model: RND2210-100ISS (2*1TB)
Radiator 4.1.13
When I hoover over one of the disks (channel 1) it say 21848 ATA Errors, but when I ran the disc test when I restarted it, no errors where found.
Have not done any OS reinstall, just the firmware reinstall.

I'll try to delete the logs as mentioned and see if it behaves different.
Message 18 of 25
vandermerwe
Master

essalp are you posting here because you can't turn off your NAS or do you have some other problem you think may be related to the ata error message. Perhaps you should have started a new thread.

With regard to disk testing, you could power off, remove disk 1 and test it using vendor tools using a PC.

It probably needs replacing, very soon.
Message 19 of 25
essalp
Aspirant

Yes, my posting is because I can't turn off my NAS, and I had the similar problem with it not being found on network.

Regarding the ATA Error, I just wanted to give you as much info as a could, as I don't know if the problems are linked. If that's a separate case, no problem, I'll find another thread or start a new one.

Back to the turn off problem, I have deleted the logs, but it behaves the same way.
Message 20 of 25
vandermerwe
Master

I think you need to backup your data as a priority, then replace the disk.
You could test it using vendor tools, but this takes time, during which your data is at risk.
When you do insert a new disk, the reync will work the remaining disk quite hard, there is a small risk of failure of this disk. If this occurs during the resync you'll lose data, hence the advice to backup the unit now.
Message 21 of 25
essalp
Aspirant

Thanks vandermerwe for the support. I have now made numerous disk test including both the fast and long from the manufacturer (Seagate) and no errors where found. I'll make a back-up any way, but I'll continue using the disks I have.

I still have the same problem with being unable to turn off the NAS in a controlled way. I just have to pull the plug. Any other ideas of what it could be? Could this be linked to the problem I have with losing the connection on the network, or is that very unlikely?
Message 22 of 25
vandermerwe
Master

Have you tried an OS reinstall?
Message 23 of 25
BigBobC
Aspirant

Has a real answer ever been found to this problem? I see questions/answers going back to 2009 but none seem to answer my problem:- I press and hold the START button waiting for the lights to flash - they never do! I can hold the button until my finger gets very sore and still the lights don't flash!!

I have had my ReadyNAS for mant years, it works perfectly. Its about 80% full and tends to stay at that point, once a month I 'prune' the data stored and move old and unused stuff to DVD. But I would love to be able to switch the thing OFF without just pulling the plug. Help would be MUCH appreciated, I'm no geek so words of one sylable are the best, but I'll try to follow any instructions to sort this out.

BobC

Message 24 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@BigBobC wrote:

I press and hold the START button waiting for the lights to flash - they never do! I can hold the button until my finger gets very sore and still the lights don't flash!!

I haven't tried powering down with the power switch for quite a while.  Usually I shut it down from frontview - is that an option for you?

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements