× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't access shares via SMB

InteXX
Luminary

Can't access shares via SMB

I'm suddenly having some permissions problems on our RN316.

Things were working swimmingly, and then I made some rather minor ACL changes to a certain share via the Admin Control Panel. Now none of the shares can be accessed—even after I restore that one ACL to its original settings. In fact, now I can't even connect to the device by hostname in our Windows domain-connected environment (let's call the domain DOMAIN, for purposes of this discussion).

The ACL change I made was to remove the Everyone user and uncheck Allow anonymous access on the Network Access tab. I also changed the workgroup from WORKGROUP to DOMAIN and added an administrative user.

I backed out of all of these changes, but the situation didn't improve. I'm prompted for credentials when trying to connect in File Explorer using \\BACKUP (the RN's hostname and A record in our DNS), and that dialog requires use of a domain (DOMAIN\user). I've tried using DOMAIN, WORKGROUP and BACKUP for the domain part, but none of these works.

I even tried creating a brand new share with default ACL settings. No luck.

Yikes! What's gone wrong here and how can I set about fixing it? I can't do a default, as there're important files on the box that I need to get off first (a temporary condition, as I'm in the middle of a domain migration to a new DC; the timing for all of this is very bad). I could download them through Control Panel, but given the size and number (hundreds of gigabytes and hundreds of thousands of files) that's a task seemingly doomed to fail.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff Bowman
Fairbanks, Alaska

Model: RN31664E|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x4TB Enterprise Drive
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@InteXX wrote:

I can't do a default, as there're important files on the box that I need to get off first (a temporary condition, as I'm in the middle of a domain migration to a new DC; the timing for all of this is very bad). I could download them through Control Panel, but given the size and number (hundreds of gigabytes and hundreds of thousands of files) that's a task seemingly doomed to fail.

You could try using NFS or FTP to offload the data.  If the issue is purely SMB network access, that likely will work.

Likely obvious - but just in case...  Did you try going into the Windows Credential Manager and deleting the old Windows Credentials for the NAS?  Then create new ones?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@InteXX wrote:

I can't do a default, as there're important files on the box that I need to get off first (a temporary condition, as I'm in the middle of a domain migration to a new DC; the timing for all of this is very bad). I could download them through Control Panel, but given the size and number (hundreds of gigabytes and hundreds of thousands of files) that's a task seemingly doomed to fail.

You could try using NFS or FTP to offload the data.  If the issue is purely SMB network access, that likely will work.

Likely obvious - but just in case...  Did you try going into the Windows Credential Manager and deleting the old Windows Credentials for the NAS?  Then create new ones?

Message 2 of 3
InteXX
Luminary

NFS it is, then.

That's pretty good stuff! I didn't know about it until today.

The copy job is running now.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements