× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot connect to RAIDar to set up device (network problem I think)?

61gazza
Aspirant

Please can you send a working link as I have tried all types and cannot download Firefox 3.5.1?

this will be my last email you'll be glad to here!

thanks

Message 51 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@61gazza wrote:

Please can you send a working link as I have tried all types and cannot download Firefox 3.5.1?

I fiixed the URL in the earlier post.  

Here it is again: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/3.5.1/win32/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%203.5.1.exe

Message 52 of 71
61gazza
Aspirant

Hi Stephen

guess what? I have managed to install old Firefox and redid factory restore and it prompt me in RAIDar to press set up which I did, and went through to the end and checked software last thing.

so now I can press set up and I have logged in using admin and password, so laptop is connected to NAS still.

I am at the home screen wandering what to do next, shall I unplug lead and connect to router or not?

i would appreciate it if you could guide me through next steps so I don't mess it up, it is looking promising!

thanks

Message 53 of 71
StephenB
Guru

I would update the firmware next.

That will require you to download 4.1.14 from http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25786/~/raidiator-version-4.1.14-(sparc)

Extract the file from the zip, and get it on the laptop somehow.  Then upload the file from the laptop and do the update.

After that, try connecting the NAS to the router.

Message 54 of 71
61gazza
Aspirant

Hi Stephen

thannks for prompt reply, I have downloaded the firmware to desktop but when I click on it it says widows cannot open this file, what do you want to do

1. Use the web service to find the correct program,

2. Select a program from a list of installed program,

sorry but but I am not sure how to get it on to NAS?

thanks

Message 55 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@61gazza wrote:

Hi Stephen

thannks for prompt reply, I have downloaded the firmware to desktop but when I click on it it says widows cannot open this file, what do you want to do

Can you confirm that the file you downloaded is RAIDiator-V4.1.14.zip?  Check that the .zip extension is still there.

If you are talking about the firmware inside the zip (RAIDiator-4.1.14 with no file extension), then windows can't open that - and it doesn't need to.

@61gazza wrote:

sorry but but I am not sure how to get it on to NAS?

In the NAS web ui (Frontview), select system, then update on the left menu. Then select the "local" tab. The screen looks like this:

4.1 firmware.png

Then select "choose file" and navigate to the firmware file on the PC.

After that "upload and verify".

You should then see a prompt to install it. After Installation you will be prompted to reboot the NAS.

Message 56 of 71
61gazza
Aspirant

I don't believe this,

imcame me out of front view and went from NAS to router, could see IP address on Mac book so entered that address on Firefox, but nothing happened.

pwent back to NAS to laptop and press set up, goes to Firefox and says connection has timed out the server at 192.168.168.168 is taking too long to respond?

not sure if it is worth factory restoring again?

Message 57 of 71
61gazza
Aspirant

I have just downloaded the zip file again then extracted it and saved to my desktop, is this correct?

Message 58 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@61gazza wrote:

I have just downloaded the zip file again then extracted it and saved to my desktop, is this correct?

Yes.  Then upload it to the NAS (using the screen I posted earlier).

Message 59 of 71
61gazza
Aspirant

Hi Stephen

i did try to upload it but it came back with a message something to do with image, can't remember the rest of the message, anyway so I have had to do another factory restore as it's the only time I can get the front view, it will not let me connect says server is taking too long to connect again, 

im hoping that if I can upload software update it might sort this NAS out?

Message 60 of 71
61gazza
Aspirant

One thing I have noticed that when it has completed the factory restore, the RAIDar screen shows a green light in vol disc, but when you look at the instructions for setting up this Netgear NAS it shows a yellow light (Offline) so why is mine green light when I am connected to laptop? As this is offline?

Message 61 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@61gazza wrote:

im hoping that if I can upload software update it might sort this NAS out?

I am hoping that too.  Though it is not behaving nicely right now.

Message 62 of 71
61gazza
Aspirant

I downloaded radiator extracted to desktop, then when i tried to update in frontview it came back with message invalid image?

Is anything simple with netgear?

Message 63 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@61gazza wrote:

I downloaded radiator extracted to desktop, then when i tried to update in frontview it came back with message invalid image?

The image file was extracted from the zip? Or did you attempt to upload the zip?

Message 64 of 71
61gazza
Aspirant

I extracted from the zip, it is a file with three files inside, do I need to separate them and click on the file with biggest mb? The other 2 are notes I believe?

Message 65 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@61gazza wrote:

do I need to separate them and click on the file with biggest mb?

Yes

Message 66 of 71
61gazza
Aspirant

Hi Stephen

just managed to update firmware and rebooted NAS.

what shall I do now?

thanks

Message 67 of 71
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad you've gotten past that step.

I'd start by checking the disk health

Go to the status menu item at the bottom left.  Cick on it, then health., 

Click on the SMART+ button next to each drive, and you should see a pop-up that shows the disk statistics.  

Reallocated sector count and pending sector count are the most important.  ATA errors would come next.

You can post the values here if you see anything concerning.

Then I'd make sure you can log in with a new browser, instead of the ancient firefox.  Once you've confirmed that, unistall the old browser.

After that, the next step is to shift the NAS back to the router, and see if you can reach it from the laptop.

After you've confirmed all that, re-create the shares and restore the data.

Message 68 of 71
61gazza
Aspirant

Hi Stephen

well updated to latest Firefox, and logged in to front view after factory restore, however turned off NAS , set laptop up to network, connected NAS to network, rebooted NAS, looked on Mac and NAS is showing in network, however NAS is still flashing blue light RAIDar is not showing info, so not looking good is it?

Message 69 of 71
61gazza
Aspirant

When I put IP address in browser it doesn't connect and says server took too long.

Message 70 of 71
StephenB
Guru

What IP address are you entering in the browser?

Have you looked in your router's device list to see if you can find the NAS?

Message 71 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 70 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements