× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot get to Home Folders share

kcronin22
Follower

Cannot get to Home Folders share

Hello,

We have had our ReadyNAS 214 (firmware 6.10.10) for a few years now and have always had an issue getting the Home Folders to work right.  I gave up for a long time, but now my little is old enough where we got her a laptop, so I wanted to try to get them working so she had her own network storage area. However, in the admin page, I clicked on the "Shares" tab, then on the left, I clicked on "Home Folders". The spinner starts and it looks like it's loading something but never comes back (I attached a screenshot to show what I see).  I have no idea what it's doing and cannot get to the Home Folders to set one up for my little.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Ken Cronin

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Cannot get to Home Folders share

@kcronin22 wrote:

However, in the admin page, I clicked on the "Shares" tab, then on the left, I clicked on "Home Folders". The spinner starts and it looks like it's loading something but never comes back (I attached a screenshot to show what I see).  I have no idea what it's doing and cannot get to the Home Folders to set one up.

Starting at the end - you don't "set up a home folder" the way you create a share.  What you do is set up a user account for her, and then set up her laptop so she connects to the NAS using the account credentials.  The first time she accesses the NAS using file explorer (or finder), it will create her home folder.

So the first step (whether you use home folders or not) is to create that user account on the NAS, and then go into the windows credential manager (assuming Windows) on the laptop so that those account credentials are automatically applied when she accesses the folders.  You can also create a desktop shortcut for her to make it easier to access her files.

But personally I would not set up a home folder for a child (actually we don't use them either).  One reason is that it is harder for you to monitor what is in that folder than it is for you to monitor what is in a share. Also, while it is easy to back up files in a home folder, it is not so easy to restore them. So I'd suggest disabling any file access protocols you have set up for Home in the NAS web ui, and set up an ordinary share for her instead.  If SMB and AFP are disabled for home, then the system will not create home folders (so all her files would be in her regular share). Note if you use your own home folder(s), you'd need to move the files into your own ordinary share before you do this.  

@kcronin22 wrote:

I clicked on the "Shares" tab, then on the left, I clicked on "Home Folders". The spinner starts and it looks like it's loading something but never comes back (I attached a screenshot to show what I see).  I have no idea what it's doing and cannot get to the Home Folders to set one up for my little.

I think you also must have clicked on "Browse" at the top of the shares page - is that correct?

Something is definitely wrong here, as the NAS should just show you the subfolders in "Home" (if any).  I guess this might be a result of something you did in the past to fix the problems you ran into before.  Can you provide more info on what you might have tried?

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Cannot get to Home Folders share

Note that the share you manually create cannot have the same name as any user, including just changing the upper/lower case.  For my granddaughter, Emma, I created For_Emma, but could have used Emma_Files or even just Emma_.  Normal folders within a share can have the same name as a user.  So I could also have created a Family share with an Emma folder in it.  But you don't have the same access control to folders as you do shares. 

I'm just wondering here if you somehow did manage to create a share with the same name as a user.  I'm not sure how you could, so I can't re-create what would happen.  Maybe if you create the share first, then add the user?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements