× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot open attached USB drive

ChrisSHale
Aspirant

Cannot open attached USB drive

Hi all.

I have no problem in accessing my folders on the RN212 drive nor accessing the drive via ReadyCloud on Windows 10. However, when I attach a USB drive I can see it via File Explorer but when I try to open it I get asked for my admin credentials password. I enter my password but still cannot access this drive. Am I missing something? Thanks

Chris

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Cannot open attached USB drive

@ChrisSHale wrote:

Are you suggesting creating a folder on the USB drive and sharing that?

Not exactly. I was thinking you could create a share on the USB drive (in which case the NAS would create the folder for you). However, I just checked, and you can't actually do that - the NAS web ui won't let you create a share on an external drive.

I have also tested the commands I gave you with a USB flash drive connected to the NAS, and I can mount it with net use t:\\nas-name\USB_HDD_1 /user:admin nas-admin-password.

So the puzzle is why you are unable to do that. One difference is that I am not using ReadyCloud.  Is the NAS on the same network as your PC?  Also, if you are using the default admin password for the NAS (password) then you might need to change that in order to get this to work.

Are you trying to copy a NAS share to the USB drive?  Or just some selected files?

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@ChrisSHale wrote:

Hi all.

I have no problem in accessing my folders on the RN212 drive nor accessing the drive via ReadyCloud on Windows 10. However, when I attach a USB drive I can see it via File Explorer but when I try to open it I get asked for my admin credentials password. I enter my password but still cannot access this drive. Am I missing something? Thanks

Is the USB drive connected to the ReadyNAS when you do this?

Are there shares on the drive?

Message 2 of 17
ChrisSHale
Aspirant

Hi Stephen.

Thanks for your input.

The USB drive is attached to the USB port and there are no shares on the drive. It really mystifys me! Thanks

Chris

Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@ChrisSHale wrote:

The USB drive is attached to the USB port and there are no shares on the drive. It really mystifys me! Thanks

I think you need create a share, and move all the folders into it, in order to use file explorer. 

Message 4 of 17
ChrisSHale
Aspirant

Hi. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. All I want to do is copy files from my NAS folder onto that USB drive. I can access all the folders on the USB drive attached to the RN212 via the Readycloud page just not via File Explorer. See the permissions on the USB drive on the screenshot attached. Thanks for your help. Chris

Message 5 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@ChrisSHale wrote:

Hi. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. All I want to do is copy files from my NAS folder onto that USB drive. I can access all the folders on the USB drive attached to the RN212 via the Readycloud page just not via File Explorer. See the permissions on the USB drive on the screenshot attached. Thanks for your help. Chris

File Explorer can access network shares that are advertised by the NAS using the SMB protocol. If SMB isn't enabled for the drive, then File Explorer won't see it.

I just checked this with an RN102 (I don't usually use USB drives). You don't actually need to create a share to enable SMB for the USB drive.

Here's some stuff to check.  When you go to the shares page of the NAS admin UI (not the "Browse" page), you should see something like this:

usb1.png

Click on the settings wheel on the right, and then choose "settings" and "Network access".  You should then see this screen:

usb2.png

Make sure SMB is enabled (with a green stripe).  Also make sure that both your ReadyNAS account and admin have read/write access.  (the settings above will do that, but note they give everyone read/write access).

Message 6 of 17
ChrisSHale
Aspirant

Hi Stephen. I'm no expert but my settings were exactly as you indicate. When I try to access the USB file by File Explorer I get asked for a password but can access the USB folders and fileson it when in the NAS UI interface. It just doesn't make sense but thanks for trying to help. It's probably something obvious when I know what! Chris

Message 7 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@ChrisSHale wrote:

Hi Stephen. I'm no expert but my settings were exactly as you indicate. When I try to access the USB file by File Explorer I get asked for a password but can access the USB folders and fileson it when in the NAS UI interface. 

Maybe try opening CMD on the PC and try entering

net use * /del /y

net use t: \\Netgear\USB_HDD_2 /user:admin nas-admin-password

substituting the real NAS admin password for the placeholder.  Be careful on the typing - particularly the two different slash directions.

If this works, it would mount the USB hard drive on the PC as drive letter T.

Message 8 of 17
ChrisSHale
Aspirant

Hi. I can see what you are telling me to do but I think I may not have understood the format of the command(s).

I entered the command as 1 line. Shoud I have entered the first line and then the second line? I have masked my password but I did enter it! I've attached a screenshot. Thanks. Chris

Message 9 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@ChrisSHale wrote:

Hi. I can see what you are telling me to do but I think I may not have understood the format of the command(s).

I entered the command as 1 line. Shoud I have entered the first line and then the second line? I have masked my password but I did enter it! I've attached a screenshot. Thanks. Chris

These are two commands, so each needs to be entered on their own line.

On the first one, there is a space between /del and /y.

Message 10 of 17
ChrisSHale
Aspirant

Sorry to be a pain but I believe I've entered it correctly but got errors. Please see the attached screenshot. I'm in the UK so off to bed! If you reply I'll pick it up in the morning. Chris

Message 11 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@ChrisSHale wrote:

Sorry to be a pain but I believe I've entered it correctly but got errors. Please see the attached screenshot. I'm in the UK so off to bed! If you reply I'll pick it up in the morning. Chris

You did enter it correctly.  Try rebooting the PC and entering them again (after opening ReadyCloud if the NAS is remote).

Message 12 of 17
ChrisSHale
Aspirant

Morning Stephen. I connected with the NAS drive via ReadyCloud and ran both commands. I got the same rsponse as before but this time I got a system error 5 which appears to suggest I don't have access rights. Not that I understand the difference but I wondered if it was something to do with admin rights, even though this is my laptop with no other users, so I tried Powershell and, rather than just a system error 5 I got a bit more info although I don't understand it. Screen shot attached with password hidden. Thanks

Chris

Message 13 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@ChrisSHale wrote:

Morning Stephen. I connected with the NAS drive via ReadyCloud and ran both commands. I got the same rsponse as before but this time I got a system error 5 which appears to suggest I don't have access rights. Not that I understand the difference but I wondered if it was something to do with admin rights, even though this is my laptop with no other users, so I tried Powershell and, rather than just a system error 5 I got a bit more info although I don't understand it. Screen shot attached with password hidden.

Try creating a test share on the USB drive (maybe call it Test).

Then try the commands again, but use \\Netgear\Test instead of \\Netgear\USB_HDD_2

Message 14 of 17
ChrisSHale
Aspirant

Hi Stephen. I'm afraid I'm getting out of my depth now. Are you suggesting creating a folder on the USB drive and sharing that? Treat me like a baby! Thanks

Chris

Message 15 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@ChrisSHale wrote:

Are you suggesting creating a folder on the USB drive and sharing that?

Not exactly. I was thinking you could create a share on the USB drive (in which case the NAS would create the folder for you). However, I just checked, and you can't actually do that - the NAS web ui won't let you create a share on an external drive.

I have also tested the commands I gave you with a USB flash drive connected to the NAS, and I can mount it with net use t:\\nas-name\USB_HDD_1 /user:admin nas-admin-password.

So the puzzle is why you are unable to do that. One difference is that I am not using ReadyCloud.  Is the NAS on the same network as your PC?  Also, if you are using the default admin password for the NAS (password) then you might need to change that in order to get this to work.

Are you trying to copy a NAS share to the USB drive?  Or just some selected files?

Message 16 of 17
ChrisSHale
Aspirant

I wanted to copy folders and files from the NAS drive to the USB drive.

II tried the easy option first - changed the password. I hadn't changed the password from default. I did that and automatically could access the USB drive! I didn't need to mount it. 

Thank you so much for your time and patience. Much appreciated! 

Regards and thanks again

Chris

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements