× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Chances of Recovery

Chappy316
Aspirant

Chances of Recovery

Hoping to (hopefully) find some sliver of light at the end of what appears to be a very dark tunnel at this time.

It appears that I have lost two of the four drives (in a very short time period) and I am wondering if there is any chance of recovering anything that was on these drives.

I was having an issue with a drive starting to throw errors. Unfortunately, I drug my feet and did not replace said drive in a timely manner as I should have. This backup was not accessed very often and within the last couple weeks we have lost two of those four drives in a matter of a few days without knowing it.

Is there any way to potentially get the drives back up long enough to recover some or all of the data so I can begin the process of rebuilding that should have been started when I first noticed errors with the first drive?

Ideally this time around I will purchase an external backup and grab the most important files first if there is a way to some how restore the volume, even if it is temporary.

Thanks to everyone for any and all help. Sadly, I may have learned my lesson the hard way. Shame on me but if this is the way it goes, I can at least say I learned.

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 1 of 24
mdgm
Virtuoso

Re: Chances of Recovery

Every situation is different. Problems like this have to be considered on a case by case basis. It depends how badly the disks have failed etc.

In some cases use of disk cloning tools designed for cloning failing disks can help.

Message 2 of 24
Chappy316
Aspirant

To avoid cluttering up someone else's thread, it appears that @Matt-I is having similar issues to me.

Someone else tagged @rn_enthusiast in his thread. I will be taking the suggestions he made to see what we can come up with. Hopefully things work out for the best.

Message 3 of 24
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Hi @Chappy316 

Your raid is broken because you have a dual disk failure in a raid 5.

Disk 3 started to show signs of failure back in December 2020. I don't think you were notified as it seems the alert system failed to send you messages (either not configured or misconfigured).

[20/12/01 22:47:30 EST] warning:system:LOGMSG_SENT_ALERT_MESG_FAILED Alert message failed to send.

Evident in the logs is that disk 3 was steadily getting worse throughout the year and eventually the disk was kicked from the raid.

[21/06/13 17:25:27 EDT] warning:volume:LOGMSG_HEALTH_VOLUME Volume data health changed from Redundant to Degraded.
[21/06/13 17:25:31 EDT] err:disk:LOGMSG_ZFS_DISK_STATUS_CHANGED Disk in channel 3 (Internal) changed state from ONLINE to FAILED.

In July, it appears the disk was pulled from the bay and re-added which initiated a raid re-sync.

[21/07/08 19:23:58 EDT] warning:disk:LOGMSG_DELETE_DISK Disk Model:WDC WD4000FYYZ-01UL1B2 Serial:WD-WMC130D08XJ7 was removed from Channel 3 of the head unit.
[21/07/08 19:26:45 EDT] notice:disk:LOGMSG_ADD_DISK Disk Model:WDC WD4000FYYZ-01UL1B2 Serial:WD-WMC130D08XJ7 was added to Channel 3 of the head unit.
[21/07/08 19:26:58 EDT] notice:volume:LOGMSG_RESILVERSTARTED_VOLUME Resyncing started for Volume data.

However, the disk is too bad and resync never completed. From this moment forward, the raid is no longer redundant.

Then in October, disk 4 was kicked out of the raid and the volume was declared "dead" (dual disk failure).

[21/10/04 18:03:11 EDT] notice:volume:LOGMSG_HEALTH_VOLUME Volume data health changed from Degraded to Dead.
[21/10/04 18:04:09 EDT] err:disk:LOGMSG_ZFS_DISK_STATUS_CHANGED Disk in channel 4 (Internal) changed state from ONLINE to FAILED.

Disk 4 is not 100% healthy but not too bad either. 19 bad sectors on the disk and I don't see any real complaints about the disk in the kernel logs. However, it is still not a healthy disk and clearly it encountered a failure on the 4th of Oct.

Below is the current state of your disk 3 and disk 4.

---> Disk 3
Device:             sdb
Controller:         0
Channel:            2
Model:              WDC WD4000FYYZ-01UL1B2
Serial:             WD-WMC130D08XJ7
Firmware:           01.01K03
Class:              SATA
RPM:                7200
Sectors:            7814037168
Pool:               data-0
PoolType:           RAID 5
PoolState:          5
PoolHostId:         2fe5a296
Health data 
  ATA Error Count:                2554
  Reallocated Sectors:            1300
  Reallocation Events:            125
  Spin Retry Count:               0
  Current Pending Sector Count:   864
  Uncorrectable Sector Count:     148
  Temperature:                    45
  Start/Stop Count:               33
  Power-On Hours:                 36077
  Power Cycle Count:              33
  Load Cycle Count:               3

---> Disk 4
Device:             sdc
Controller:         0
Channel:            3
Model:              WDC WD4000FYYZ-01UL1B2
Serial:             WD-WMC130D3MD5Z
Firmware:           01.01K03
Class:              SATA
RPM:                7200
Sectors:            7814037168
Pool:               data-0
PoolType:           RAID 5
PoolState:          5
PoolHostId:         2fe5a296
Health data 
  ATA Error Count:                0
  Reallocated Sectors:            0
  Reallocation Events:            0
  Spin Retry Count:               0
  Current Pending Sector Count:   19
  Uncorrectable Sector Count:     19
  Temperature:                    44
  Start/Stop Count:               32
  Power-On Hours:                 37414
  Power Cycle Count:              32
  Load Cycle Count:               3

Disk 1 and 2 are healthy as is. Disk 3 is likely a write-off at this stage (but keep it until data is recovered). The best option here is to clone disk 4 and use a healthy cloned disk to re-assemble the raid. That should absolutely be possible given that disk 4 is not completely dead, which I don't see it being.

My advise would be to opt for some paid data recovery support with Netgear and let them help clone disk 4 and re-assemble the raid. You could possibly even manually re-assemble the raid with the current disk 4 but I would not risk it as it is not a fully healthy disk. I think a paid support contract is worth it here as chances for successful recovery are very high, in my opinion.

I would also advise that you consider getting the alerts setup to be working. This way you will be notified by email if disks are failing and you won't end up in the same situation again. Backups are of course also important and I am sure many people here on forum can give advise on that and which strategies they use.

Cheers

Message 4 of 24
Chappy316
Aspirant

Hey @rn_enthusiast,

For starters, thank you very much for the help and insight to hopefully resolving this problem.

Just some follow up then a couple questions.

Disk 3 was removed from the array in July with some guidance from other uses on this forum to hopefully jump start it back to life. The suggestion was made, to hopefully make this fully redundant again, to start searching for replacement/upgrade options. I did not realize that it never fully reinitialized. In the process of determining what I wanted for a replacement, we get to where we are now unfortunately.

In the future, I would guess your suggestion would be to not pull a drive that is potentially, or likely from what it looked like, failing to avoid a chance of breaking the array?

Also, I am getting an external backup solution (some sort of external USB) for the highly sensitive files in the array. Do you have one here that you would recommend brand or size wise? I was looking at a WD Essentials as I have always used their internal drives in personal builds in the past and never had any major issues.

So a couple questions on trying to recovery what is left.

What is the process of going through NetGear for paid support to clone Disk 4 (and/or Disk 3 for that matter) and do you know a rough idea of cost on this process? (I know you were a former employee so its just a question, nothing I would hold you to. Just looking for a rough idea.)

Is the cloning process something I could do at home myself? If yes, would that be a faster and cheaper first attempt to fixing the array? Also, is there any more damage that can be caused if I made an initial attempt at home and then had to revert to NetGear?

When attempting to clone Disk 4 (and or Disk 3) either at home or with NetGear, can the drive size be upgraded at that time? The initial reason I came here was to look into expanding the size of the array. Currently they are 4tb drives, could I clone one or both of them to larger drives and restart the array with more size? The ultimate plan is to upgrade the whole array but I was cautioned away from it in July. The status of Disk 3 scared away a couple users in fear that another drive in the array may be close to end of life. Looks like they were right.

If upgrading in HDD size is not the case, would I need to buy a 4tb drive that "matches" what is currently in the array or would anything of similar size be acceptable to clone to regardless of brand or model?

As far as alerts go, apparently it doesn't want to play well with gmail or I am missing something simple. I tried getting it set up with my account so I can receive them and Google won't allow the simple one button sign in, even after I turned on the ability to use less secure apps. Attempting to manually enter the email credentials doesn't help either as it throws an SMTP error when sending a test message.

Again, thank you for any and all insight into this.

Chris

Message 5 of 24
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Hi @Chappy316 

As for external USBs, I have had WD elements USB drives attached to my NAS for a while with no problems. @StephenB and @Sandshark might know more about USB compatibility in general but I have had good success with WD elements 2TB and 4TB, personally.

The cost of the data recovery contract, I think was something in the the region of $100-$150 but it has been a good few years since I worked there. More extensive data recovery work could require extra cost from what I remember. Maybe @StephenB knows the price better? In any case, it will be far cheaper than any regular data recovery service.

As for doing it yourself, you theoretically can. Netgear aren't doing anything magical here but it requires a bit of knowledge. The other advantages of using Netgear to do it, would be that they can use the NAS itself for the cloning process. Makes it easier for you. One would need to examine the raid super blocks to ensure that you are cloning and using the correct disk to re-assemble the raid. Based on logs, it looks like disk 4 is the one we need to use and clone for the raid assembly but examination of the raid super-block would still be prudent. Next will be to monitor the cloning process and assess whether the clone was fully successful and then manually assemble the raid array using disk 1, 2 and the cloned disk 4.

The issue is that it requires some knowledge and/or experience to do this. There are pitfalls, as cloning in the wrong direction or incorrect re-assembling the raid, can lead to total data loss. In any circumstance, it would imagine that you would need Netgear to at least help assemble the raid so having then also start the cloning process (which takes many hours to finish) would probably make sense as I don't imagine that would add a lot to the cost of the work + it makes it safer for you. The replacement drive and can be a drive of same size or larger. I am 99% sure of this. Either should do fine but checking with Netgear is the best thing here but I don't imagine the clone process will cause any issues using a larger target drive.

As for the alerts, I don't use gmail myself (due to privacy stance and tinfoil hats and so on 🙂 ). But the NAS email service is like a forwarding agent that essentially log in into your gmail account and send the mail to yourself. This is something I think gmail might have blocked by default. I am sure it is possible to get working and the two guys that I tagged earlier in the post probably knows more about this, than I do. I will let them chime in on that.

Cheers

Message 6 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Chappy316 wrote:

As far as alerts go, apparently it doesn't want to play well with gmail or I am missing something simple. I tried getting it set up with my account so I can receive them and Google won't allow the simple one button sign in, even after I turned on the ability to use less secure apps. Attempting to manually enter the email credentials doesn't help either as it throws an SMTP error when sending a test message.

For gmail, you can 

1. set gmail to allow less secure apps
  2. set gmail to not use two-factor authentication
  3. smtp server: smtp.gmail.com
  4. smtp port: 465
  5. tls: checked
  6. username and from fields set to full email address (including gmail.com).

Message 7 of 24
Chappy316
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

For gmail, you can 

For whatever reason, those settings give me an error that simply says "Cannot send a test message. Check SMTP server settings." I attempted the simple one click with less secure apps enabled and that didn't work so I tried manually entering the info to no avail.

Message 8 of 24
Sandshark
Sensei

I use other NAS for my backup and haven't connected a current model USB drive to one in years, so I can make no recommendation.  Heck, I don't even own one.

Typically, you can use a larger drive for a cloning process; but I don't know Netgear's specific requirments.

The recovery process will recover your files to an external device, so getting that USB drive is quite important and it can't just be for "important files", you need sufficient storage to hold everything you want to recover.  Ultimately, you're going to want to do a factory default and restore all files from backup to get a "clean" system.

Message 9 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Chappy316 wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

For gmail, you can 

For whatever reason, those settings give me an error that simply says "Cannot send a test message. Check SMTP server settings." I attempted the simple one click with less secure apps enabled and that didn't work so I tried manually entering the info to no avail.

FWIW, those settings (including disabling two factor authentication and enabling less secure apps in the gmail account) work for me.

Message 10 of 24
Chappy316
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

I use other NAS for my backup and haven't connected a current model USB drive to one in years, so I can make no recommendation.  Heck, I don't even own one.

Typically, you can use a larger drive for a cloning process; but I don't know Netgear's specific requirments.

The recovery process will recover your files to an external device, so getting that USB drive is quite important and it can't just be for "important files", you need sufficient storage to hold everything you want to recover.  Ultimately, you're going to want to do a factory default and restore all files from backup to get a "clean" system.

My apologies for not fully understanding how this process works. My thought was to get a smaller sized external so when the array comes back up, I could move things to an external USB depending on importance so we can somewhat prioritize if time is limited.

You're suggesting getting an external large enough to hold the full array? Essentailly, recovering a full backup of everything to then start over clean with the ReadyNAS?

I did some quick looking on the NetGear site for recovery services and found a support page that has what looks like the information I need. I don't want to quote pricing here because things may be priced case by case but it doesnt look horrible to recover depending on how they time things.

I will be picking up an external that is larger than what was on my array before talking to support. Once I talk to them and get an idea of what may be needed internally, more hardware will be bought most likely.

@StephenB wrote:

FWIW, those settings (including disabling two factor authentication and enabling less secure apps in the gmail account) work for me.

Looks like email services may have to have an account created with another provider. Not the end of the world if it resolves future issues like this.

Message 11 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Chappy316 wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Looks like email services may have to have an account created with another provider. Not the end of the world if it resolves future issues like this.

You could of course try that.  But again, gmail is working for me (on several different ReadyNAS models).

@Chappy316 wrote:

You're suggesting getting an external large enough to hold the full array? Essentailly, recovering a full backup of everything to then start over clean with the ReadyNAS?

Yes, though of course it could be more than one external drive.

Though like @Sandshark I back up my main NAS to other NAS.

Message 12 of 24
Chappy316
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Yes, though of course it could be more than one external drive.

Though like @Sandshark I back up my main NAS to other NAS.

I moreso meant an external to get things running again. You're talking redundant storage with redundant storage to back it up as well? Not a horrible idea at all. Suggestions, if not NetGear, for another NAS? I would like to expand this current setup, once things are resolved, likely to 8tb or 10tb drives.

Message 13 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Chappy316 wrote:
You're talking redundant storage with redundant storage to back it up as well? Not a horrible idea at all. Suggestions, if not NetGear, for another NAS? I would like to expand this current setup, once things are resolved, likely to 8tb or 10tb drives.

ReadyNAS have been scarce for some time, and there is quite a bit of speculation here that Netgear is exiting the NAS business.  Netgear hasn't said one way or the other.  In any event, you should research other vendors now, since many of the new ReadyNAS that you will find are overpriced.  But I only own ReadyNAS, so I can't offer specific recommendations on other brands.

I use rsync backup myself, and most NAS out there support rsync. 

Message 14 of 24
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Yeah, I agree with StephenB on this. I would be vary of buying a ReadyNAS at this stage.

On the top of my head, I would say look at: Synology, QNAP and Asustor. As for backups to another NAS, Rsync should do the job and it is a natively supported Linux application. You will find that feature on any Vendor NAS to be honest.

Message 15 of 24
Chappy316
Aspirant

First thing I am grabbing, once I get in touch with L3 support, is going to be a large enough external to get all of the data off of here. Then I will look at replacing the existing drives so I can get it back up and running. After that I will consider another NAS. I actually looked at Synology before but this ReadyNAS 3130 basically fell my lap. Is it possible to rsync it with an external, even if its only temporary? That would give me some peace of mind.

Speaking of L3 support, do either of you ( @StephenB or @rn_enthusiast ) have a recommendation of a way to get in touch with them, or someone trustworthy with similar abilities, to try and move forward with the cloning process? I did the chat support last night and who ever I spoke with was struggling with their English. I told him I wanted to speak with someone in L3 support and bump my problem up to the next level and I got back very vague responses and the chat equivalent of being hung up on. *facepalm*

Message 16 of 24
Sandshark
Sensei

FWIW, RAID and true (independent) backup have different purposes.  While RAID does add some protection against data loss, it's more about convenience -- the ability to continue to use the device in a degraded state while that degradation is dealt with instead of having to wait for restoration from another device.   True backup needs to deal with things RAID may not, especially hardware failure of the NAS itself.  Depending on the criticality of the data, it may also need to deal with theft, fire, etc.

But RAID doing it's job depends on proper monitoring.  Even when you get your email alert situation resolved, you really should be "checking in" with the NAS UI periodically.

Message 17 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Chappy316 wrote:

Is it possible to rsync it with an external, even if its only temporary?

Yes.  You can back it up to external drives, either using the local->local backup (which uses the linux cp command), or by using rsync with a 127.0.0.1 local IP address for the source.

Message 18 of 24
Chappy316
Aspirant

@rn_enthusiast wrote:

As for doing it yourself, you theoretically can. Netgear aren't doing anything magical here but it requires a bit of knowledge. The other advantages of using Netgear to do it, would be that they can use the NAS itself for the cloning process. Makes it easier for you. One would need to examine the raid super blocks to ensure that you are cloning and using the correct disk to re-assemble the raid. Based on logs, it looks like disk 4 is the one we need to use and clone for the raid assembly but examination of the raid super-block would still be prudent. Next will be to monitor the cloning process and assess whether the clone was fully successful and then manually assemble the raid array using disk 1, 2 and the cloned disk 4.

The issue is that it requires some knowledge and/or experience to do this. There are pitfalls, as cloning in the wrong direction or incorrect re-assembling the raid, can lead to total data loss. In any circumstance, it would imagine that you would need Netgear to at least help assemble the raid so having then also start the cloning process (which takes many hours to finish) would probably make sense as I don't imagine that would add a lot to the cost of the work + it makes it safer for you. The replacement drive and can be a drive of same size or larger. I am 99% sure of this. Either should do fine but checking with Netgear is the best thing here but I don't imagine the clone process will cause any issues using a larger target drive.

This may sound a little scary but its all a dice roll to an extent, right? I have a friend who I very much trust with things of this nature so I picked his brain. He seems fully confident that we can clone the drive. I would rather make an attempt here first versus paying the $200 consult fee to find out we can't do anything through NetGear. From the browsing I have done, it appears its a $200 consult/first hour charge and then $150 an hour after that. This information was gathered from their Q&A pages as well are my (less than successful) chat with support last night.

He does have a couple things he wanted me to ask/verify with the help I have received here.

1) He knows we will have to do a bit-by-bit clone but wanted to make sure we can use an equal size or larger drive. You aren't the only one that is nearly 100% certain that we can do that. The existing drive is 4tb so I will need a fresh 4tb or larger drive to clone to. Ideally we want to increase the size of the array so I will be looking to get a larger drive as long as we can go that route. Regardless, they will all be upgraded but obviously recovery is the first priority, upgrading is second.

2) Should we power down the rest of the array to save power up time and stress on the drives that are still good? I don't want to remove or power down anything that I don't have to for fear of decreasing the chances of recovery that we are already limited to.

3) If we an manage to clone Disk 4 successfully, will it be as simple as remounting the drive in the array? Ideally yes but I feel like that may not be the case from the sounds of it. What do you mean when you say we would need to manually assemble the array?

4) Should I consider getting two replacement drives and attempt to clone Disk 3 as well to maximize our chances of recovery? Given that Disk 3 is in much worse shape, is that even a potential option? I will ultimately need two drives but is cloning the more damaged disk even an option?

Thanks again everyone! You have all been more than helpful at this point.

Message 19 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Chappy316 wrote:

1) He knows we will have to do a bit-by-bit clone but wanted to make sure we can use an equal size or larger drive.

Yes.

@Chappy316 wrote:

2) Should we power down the rest of the array to save power up time and stress on the drives that are still good?

It's reasonable to do that now.

@Chappy316 wrote:

3) If we an manage to clone Disk 4 successfully, will it be as simple as remounting the drive in the array?  What do you mean when you say we would need to manually assemble the array?

You will begin by mounting the drive with the NAS powered down.  Then power up.  But the array will probably be out of sync (there will be changes to the volume that were never written to disk 4).  In that case there would be some steps with mdadm and btrfs to force the array to mount.  Likely there will be some file corruption/loss too.  So you would need to enable ssh, and manually run some commands to do that.

@Chappy316 wrote:

4) Should I consider getting two replacement drives and attempt to clone Disk 3 as well to maximize our chances of recovery? Given that Disk 3 is in much worse shape, is that even a potential option? I will ultimately need two drives but is cloning the more damaged disk even an option?

I'd get two replacement drives.  But I wouldn't attempt to clone disk 3.  If you are successful, you will still have a degraded array.  You can hot-insert a blank disk 3, in order to recover from that part.  Though I'd urge you to make a backup to external storage before you do that.

Message 20 of 24
Chappy316
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

You will begin by mounting the drive with the NAS powered down.  Then power up.  But the array will probably be out of sync (there will be changes to the volume that were never written to disk 4.  In that case there would be some steps with mdadm and btrfs to force the array to mount.  Likely there will be some file corruption/loss too.  So you would need to enable ssh, and manually run some commands to do that.

I'd get two replacement drives.  But I wouldn't attempt to clone disk 3.  If you are successful, you will still have a degraded array.  You can hot-insert a blank disk 3, in order to recover from that part.  Though I'd urge you to make a backup to external storage before you do that.

This is where you lose me. I know enough to be dangerous with consumer level computing. When it comes to command line, what I would call higher level work, I get lost fast. I will pass this information on to him and see what his thoughts on the process are. This is much more of his day to day than it is mine. Now, this makes cloning the drive sound like the easy part. Haha!

So I am looking at picking up two new drives, if not four to ultimately get the array to where I want it to be. As well as an external to move files to in the interim. One step closer. Still keeping those fingers crossed.

Message 21 of 24
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

To be honest, unless your friend is familiar with mdadm raids and BTRFS filesystems and understands the raid layout on a ReayNAS, then the "hard" part of assembling the raid, is better done with Netgear L3 support.

He/she will need to understand how to access the unit in Tech Support mode, safely start the OS raid - md0 (proably best to start that in degraded mode with disk 1 and 2 alone) and mount the OS, followed by chroot'ing into the OS with the correct mount bindings for sys, dev and proc. Then examine the raid super blocks for the data raid (md127) between disk 1 and 2 and the cloned disk 4, to see how far off the sync is between them and then judge if it is safe to assemble it (raid will definitely be marked "dirty" at this point). This will then be followed by mounting the data BRTFS filesystem and hope it doesn't spew a bunch of errors and you will likely need to zero-log the filesysten journal too because in this situation you will probably have inconsistency between the journal and the filesystem. Lastly, one would sync in the new disk 4 to the md0 raid as well.

It is a lot of technical jargon and things to battle with, if the experience isn't there. I agree that cloning the disk can be done by yourself (just be careful to clone in the correct direct. Don't overwrite the opriginal disk 4. I have seen people clone the new empty disk onto the one containing the data. You don't want to be that guy as that will be game over! ). It will surely not take Netgear L3 too long to assess, re-assemble the raid and mount up the filesystem but they also do this, if not daily, then at least weekly. We suggest this route for a good reason 🙂 You can save time (money) cloning the disk yourself if you wish, but leave the harder technical part to the people who knows the product - is my advise.

If you had a hard time getting in touch with L3 through support, maybe @StephenB can ping a few mods to help get a case created for you (I am not sure who the mods are these days).

Cheers

Message 22 of 24
Chappy316
Aspirant

I will forward this all over to him. This is not something he does often so its more my trust in him than anything.

With the data on the line at that point, he may just help me clone the drive and go from there. I will see if I can get in touch with someone in L3 Support unless @StephenB has another suggestion.

Message 23 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Chappy316 wrote:

With the data on the line at that point, he may just help me clone the drive and go from there. I will see if I can get in touch with someone in L3 Support unless @StephenB has another suggestion.

I agree that Netgear support is a good option.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements