× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configure multiple remote share backup jobs without the GUI

Configure multiple remote share backup jobs without the GUI

In the backup jobs section of the ready nas OS6 administration console, I have configured a couple RSYNC jobs to pull data from two shares on another device running RSYNC, and a windows file system backup that pulls one share from a windows file system. So I get the pattern.

Now I want to create jobs for about 30 or so shares across 6 devices, each running either RYNC or providing windows shares.

How would I 'clone' a configuration and just change the share name on both the source and destination folders, rather than re-enter the same details over and over?

How would I edit the backup job configurations in a text editor, for example, to quickly add many similar jobs with only the share name changing?

Thanks for any tips you might have as to how to address this.

Model: ReadyNASRNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Configure multiple remote share backup jobs without the GUI

If you download the Config Backup it's not hard to find.

But if you edit it using the wrong editor you could easily break the formatting and you might not put correct values in the fields when trying to edit it that way.

Also if you zip up _READYNAS_CONFIG, it will restore /etc to /_READYNAS_CONFIG/etc rather than /etc, so you do have to be careful about how you zip it back up e.g. selecting the /etc folder and zip that.

I think it would be much easier to just add the jobs configuring them using the web admin UI.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's designed to be edited using the UI.

Whilst there are config files which could be edited you may break the formatting of the files and it might not be any quicker. Indeed you could find it takes longer to do it manually.

Message 2 of 5

Thanks, that makes sense. I imagine the GUI will serve most of my needs, once I get up and running. I have dozens of backups to configure.

Where would I find the coding files you mention?

Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you download the Config Backup it's not hard to find.

But if you edit it using the wrong editor you could easily break the formatting and you might not put correct values in the fields when trying to edit it that way.

Also if you zip up _READYNAS_CONFIG, it will restore /etc to /_READYNAS_CONFIG/etc rather than /etc, so you do have to be careful about how you zip it back up e.g. selecting the /etc folder and zip that.

I think it would be much easier to just add the jobs configuring them using the web admin UI.

Message 4 of 5

I also want to transfer the jobs from one box to another at some point, so the solution you provide make sense. I thought I might be able to edit one file in place, but I did not think about doing a backup of the config files then doing a restore.

I will try to find the path/file myself.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements