× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Corrupt root and can't access backup or media folders

CG11
Aspirant

Corrupt root and can't access backup or media folders

A few weeks ago, I noticed my duo was inaccessible and had the slow blue blinking light. I restarted the nas and it was getting an IP from the router, but could not be accessed through frontview nor mapping via windows or UNC. I removed drive 1 and got corrupt root. I removed drive 2 and it booted back up. I could then see the Backup and Media folders, however upon trying to access them, Windows could not open them. I pulled drive 1 and mounted it using a usb drive reader and was able to see the raw files still there with none of the naming or folder formats (using Easeus Data Recovery Wizard). Most of the pictures I restored are not coming up or are merged with other pictures. Haven't looked at all the other files yet. 1 NTFS and 2 Fat12 partitions were found. Is there any way to restore this data on the drive with the proper formatting and file integrity?

My wife is going to kill me if I can't get this fixed...any help would be appreciated!!!

Win7 Ultimate x64
ReadyNas Duo 2x2TB Western Digital Sata Drives
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Corrupt root and can't access backup or media folders

The DUO has no NTFS or FAT partitions. It uses EXT. I'm not sure what the recovery wizard program is doing, hopefully you are not letting it write to the drive.

What error does Windows give you? Did you try enabling HTTP access for the two shares in Frontview, and look at them in your web browser?
Message 2 of 10
CG11
Aspirant

Thanks for your response, StephenB.

Not sure what the program is pulling but it labeled 3 folders I restored to an external drive NTFS and FAT. I haven't overwritten anything on the NAS drive. I put the primary drive back in and left the second one out.

RAIDar show a yellow light (Warning or dead) on the far left, yellow for what I assume is the RAID column, 1 green and yellow for the drives column, fan is green, info = 4.1.13. Mapping via UNC (IP or DNS), if I click on either Backup or Media folders (my 2 root folders), I get "Windows cannot access \\NAS\backup....The network path was not found."

When I pulled up Frontview, I get a pop up message that says "Error_Invalid_Security_Mode". Trying to enable HTTP on the shares I get "The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume. media backup"

I tried to create a new share called "test' and it gave the error, "No filesystem available for share. [test]"

If there is any other info or test that would be helpful in resolving this, please let me know! Thanks for your help!
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Was the NAS running when you reinserted drive 1???
Message 4 of 10
CG11
Aspirant

No. Power was off. I've always shut down before doing anything with the drives.
Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

When you ran the Easeus Data Recovery Wizard, did you tell it to save the results on a different drive?
Message 6 of 10
CG11
Aspirant

Yes, I saved to a different external USB drive.

(BTW, Happy New Year!)
Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

CG1 wrote:
(BTW, Happy New Year!)
You too!

Unfortunately it looks to me like something corrupted the data volume on drive 1. The recovery wizard might have done it, or perhaps something else. BTW, I think you needed the pro version to recover linux files correctly.

You could try diskinternal's linux reader (in your PC) http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ and see if it finds anything. Some have also reported good luck with r-linux.

You could also try netgear support (support.netgear.com). They might be able to remount your data volume on the NAS.
Message 8 of 10
CG11
Aspirant

I have the pro version of Easus although it's an older version. I don't believe it wrote anything to the drive itself, just scanned and extracted. I tried diskinternals and r-linux but unfortunately, neither was able to open the drive. When I launch windows disk manager, it says I must initialize the disk before logical disk manager can access it. Any other options you know of maybe using mac or linux to restore the files? Or is there another way I can inject the filesystem w/o corrupting or overwriting the data?
Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I think your data is likely gone. Though you can try netgear support.

You are recovering from disk 1? If there's a chance that the parity disk and the main disk got mixed up, you could also try disk 2 on the PC.

The windows disk manager behavior is expected, as windows doesn't support the linux file systems used on the duo. All the recovery tools are bypassing Windows when they access the file system.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements