× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DLNA rebuild - rescan

ipb_uk
Aspirant

DLNA rebuild - rescan

RNDP6000-v2 V6.10.8

Something is wrong with the dlna part on this nas. When the nas is rebooted it deletes the files.db and starts to rescan. What needs to be done to stop it deleting the file and rebuilding?

I've reinstalled the firmware (6.10.8), hoping that would reset what ever was wrong but no joy there.

it's running as /usr/sbin/minidlnad -S

What info should I get for you to help me resolve this?

Thank You.

Message 1 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Mid term, an update to v6.10.9 would be smarter (due to the fixes applied in the package handling) than re-update for hope-and-pray.

If minidlnad does find errors from the previous run, it will re-do the re-scan from scratch. Have an eye in the related log if available FMI.

Message 2 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Just wonderiing - does the scan complete w/o error before the next reboot?

Message 3 of 13
ipb_uk
Aspirant

Ok so where do I get 6.10.9 from? The box was updated on the 6th June, it's now says it up to date!
The nas was on for about 39 days and the files.db was 41.3 GB. On 16 July snapshot it was 38.6 GB.
I can't find 'upnp-av.log' any place other than downloading the whole lot of logs. At the moment I can't tell if it had completed a scan. I rebooted it this morning at 2.50, it now 19.00 and after downloading the logs to get the upnp-av.log the first few lines are....
-- Logs begin at Wed 2023-07-19 05:19:57 WEST, end at Wed 2023-07-19 14:33:15 WEST. --
Jul 19 14:01:10 Pro minidlnad[2941]: Application transferred too few scanlines
Jul 19 14:01:10 Pro minidlnad[2941]: Application transferred too few scanlines

Message 4 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Message 5 of 13
ipb_uk
Aspirant

Ok Thank you. It's installed and now rebuilding again.
Message 6 of 13
ipb_uk
Aspirant

Hi,

I've downloaded the log files and the upnp-av.log has row after row of "Application transferred too few scanlines" and nothing else.

Seems to be jpg related?

What can I do?

Thanks very much.

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@ipb_uk wrote:

What can I do?

Enable ssh, and try this command:

minidlnad -d -R

Enter ctrl-c after it completes.

That should give you some more info on what is going on.

Message 8 of 13
ipb_uk
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,
I got the below...

root@Pro:/# minidlnad -d -R
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
root@Pro:/#
Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@ipb_uk wrote:
root@Pro:/# minidlnad -d -R
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
root@Pro:/#

Not good.  I am suspecting that some malformed metadata in the media is causing the scanner to crash.

One avenue is to disable media scans for some media types (for instance, turning off images if you suspect that is the problem).  That might help isolate the problem.  It would probably go faster if you completely disable DLNA on all but one share, and then add them back one at a time as you successfully scan.

A similar concept is to create a test share with DLNA enabled (disabling it everywhere else). Then copy over media files (some at a time), and scan.  Repeat until you find the problem.

Personally I use Plex (running on a PC with the media folders mapped to drive letters).

Message 10 of 13
ipb_uk
Aspirant

After up grading to 6.10.9 it restarted from scratch. So none of my media players could find anything play!

So I stop minidlnad, restored a backup from a few days ago, adjusted minidlnad to only do music via admin page. Then restarted minidlnad. It's now growing again and my media players can see my music.

I have my music setup how I like it with all the tags I want on them, using mp3tag, ordered in folders that make sense to me (artist/year-album/tracks), all one one share.

I've been told (rightly or wrongly, didn't fancy finding out!) that these newer programs (Plex, Emby) mess with your files. So I've avoided them to date and I don't want my PC to sit in the middle just to serve music which is on another device. That said I would be interested in hearing your views on these programs.

I would still like to now where minidlna log file is? It's not using the folder in the minidlna.conf file.

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@ipb_uk wrote:

I've been told (rightly or wrongly, didn't fancy finding out!) that these newer programs (Plex, Emby) mess with your files. So I've avoided them to date

Plex doesn't change the media files (based on looking at the modification dates of the files on the NAS) - so there is no problem there.  But it does organize its media database its own way, and even with good tagging it can get confused.  So I have needed to go in manually to fix up its matching on the albums and tracks it gets confused on.

@ipb_uk wrote:

I don't want my PC to sit in the middle just to serve music which is on another device.

I decided some years ago that it was best to only use the NAS for storage, and to run apps on a PC instead.  Too many issues with installing the apps on the NAS and keeping them current (and also issues with apps breaking the NAS web ui when upgrading the NAS firmware). 

DLNA is a bit different, since it is built in.  But DLNA only works on your local network, and I want to be able to access media when remote.  Plex does that.  While installing it on the NAS is possible, it is increasingly difficult (and the peformance I get isn't nearly as good as when I install it on my PC).  All ReadyNAS models have limited RAM and none have a GPU.  The PC I use has a GPU, so it can so it can handle on-the-fly video transcoding with no problem when that is needed (due to bandwidth limitations when remote).

@ipb_uk wrote:

I would still like to now where minidlna log file is? It's not using the folder in the minidlna.conf file.

I don't see any config for the log location in /etc/minidlna.conf on my NAS.

The logging is in the system journal.  Try this:

journalctl --no-pager | grep dlna
Message 12 of 13
ipb_uk
Aspirant

The logging is in the system journal.  Try this:

journalctl --no-pager | grep dlna

Ah, there be errors! Lot of 'em.

Thank you Stephen. I've deleted the db and letting it start over.

Loads of errors, which after googling seemed to be something to do with forked-daapd. 

I've seen a new version of minidlna 1.3.3. from Jmaggard. Does here lurk around these parts these days? But the file is much larger than the version on the nas 1.3.1. (4032KB - 325KB). It looks to me that the nas version is split into more than one program. At this point I'm reluctant to swap the version.

I'll leave it alone now and see if it finishes.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements