× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk Cleanup

Leroy1
Aspirant

Disk Cleanup

Hello,

I got a question about the Volumes tab

What does the Cleanup option for harddrives do? Format or just clean up old files?

Thanks,
Message 1 of 9
Leroy1
Aspirant

Re: Disk Cleanup

Can someone answer?
Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I see "defrag", "scrub", "destroy" and "settings" (in order). But not "clean".
Message 3 of 9
Leroy1
Aspirant

Sorry, I think it's scrub. My UI language is Dutch so it presents as cleaning up
Message 4 of 9
ljung
Tutor

From software manual
Scrub a Volume
Scrubbing cleans and validates all data on a volume and checks the volume for errors. No
data is deleted. Folders, LUNs, and snapshots on the volume remain intact.
Message 5 of 9
Leroy1
Aspirant

Thanks!
Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

"Cleaning up" isn't a good translation for this control, hopefully netgear will improve it at some point.
Message 7 of 9
Leroy1
Aspirant

It says Opschonen. On Google Translator

http://translate.google.nl/#nl/en/opschonen
Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

In English, "scrubbing" is usually used for thorough, vigorous cleaning - "I scrubbed the pot" for instance.

But file system scrubbing is a bit more specialized. The manual does use the phrase "clean", but there isn't actually much "cleaning" going on. It's really a diagnostic scan that does some repair.

btrfs is doing a file system scan, reading and validating files using the checksum feature (if it is turned on). RAID should kick in to automatically repair bad data blocks. I am not sure if the OS6 scrub also includes the raid parity verification done by OS4 systems or not - the documentation isn't very clear on that.

Anyway, If "Opschonen" is used for that idea in Dutch by tech folks then it is appropriately translated.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements