× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Error: can_overcommit.Part.7+8

BobFord
Aspirant

Error: can_overcommit.Part.7+8

Tries to access the ReadyNas remotely and found it offline.

Got home, tried to access the web interface across the network - no success

rebooted the box and got the above error - can't see it has an ip address. can't access the drive using file explorer etc

Model: RN214D43|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: Error: can_overcommit.Part.7+8

Is this an RN214?  What firmware is it running?

Message 2 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello BobFord,

Also, where do you see this error message? Is it on the unit's display screen or on the admin page?

Regards,

Message 3 of 13
BobFord
Aspirant

Hi. The error is on the front panel display. I am running the latest firmware - I upgraded a week or so back and the device has functioned since then

Message 4 of 13
BobFord
Aspirant

An update...

So, I decided to reboot the NAS to prove the error above and the system has gone through the reboot process upto 98% and has stayed like that for the past 6 hours or so. Could this be that the system is doing internal disk type checks (consistency etc) and that it may sort itself out?

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@BobFord wrote:

Could this be that the system is doing internal disk type checks (consistency etc) and that it may sort itself out?

That could be the case.  If you don't have full backups, I'd be tempted to reboot using the "read-only volume" mode.

Message 6 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello BobFord,

Do you still have the same error message on the display screen and it is now not booting up completely? Please post what you see on the RAIDar when it sees the NAS.

By the way, what is the current firmware version of the NAS? The latest has been released yesterday.

Regards,

Message 7 of 13
BobFord
Aspirant

Apologies for day in responding - I was away for the weekend and then work has got in the way lol

So....

The bootup got stuck for 24hrs on 98% to turned it off. I rebooted it last night and got back to the same error message as highlighted at the top of this thread.

I didn't update the firmware last week so suspect I'm running at least 1 version back

I plan to do another bootup again on Thursday and will try and get raidrar stuff as well to put up here.

I was in the process of aggregating my data from various sources prior to clean up and then backup so am wary of going down the full reset path as I'll need to copy off the data first before the the reset unless there's a better interim reboot option that doesn't kill the existing datasets

Message 8 of 13
BobFord
Aspirant

A question for the panel.....

Do you feel a reload of the OS at bootup might solve the problem?

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@BobFord wrote:

Do you feel a reload of the OS at bootup might solve the problem?

I don't think an OS reinstall (or a USB recovery) will do it - this looks more like a problem with the data volume; not the OS.

Message 10 of 13
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@BobFord

Could do you please boot to volume read only? then download logs and send to Netgear,

Boot to ready only from boot menu,
https://kb.netgear.com/20898/ReadyNAS-ReadyDATA-Boot-Menu

How do I send all logs to ReadyNAS Community moderators?
https://kb.netgear.com/21543/How-do-I-send-all-logs-to-ReadyNAS-Community-moderators

Message 11 of 13
BobFord
Aspirant

Interesting developments.....

So, I booted the NAS and it seems to have come up onto the network as a readable device from my windows PC's - all very good. Only problem now is that I can't get to the Admin page or see the device from outside of the network.

A major step forward from where I was last week and early this

Message 12 of 13
BobFord
Aspirant

Hi

I'll try and get the logs sent over asap

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos