× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Expanding ReadyNAS 104 in Flex-raid 0 from 2 volumes to 3 volumes ¿possible?

garcianacho
Aspirant

Expanding ReadyNAS 104 in Flex-raid 0 from 2 volumes to 3 volumes ¿possible?

Hello.

I have a ReadyNAS 104 with two 6 TB disks in raid (flex-raid) 0. Firmware 6.6.0.

10 TB of capacity, working normally.

Manual says that the better way to horizontally expand is add 2 more disks, same number of existant disks.

But is the better way or the only way?

I want to know if I can add one 6 TB disk, to achieve a 3 volumes system with 15 TB of capacity.

Is possible?

Thanks in advance and regards.

Nacho.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Expanding ReadyNAS 104 in Flex-raid 0 from 2 volumes to 3 volumes ¿possible?

@garcianacho wrote:

Manual says that the better way to horizontally expand is add 2 more disks, same number of existant disks.

horizontal and vertical expansion is about expand individual volumes.  When you say "achieve a 3 volume system" are you meaning three separate volumes?  

Either way, it is best to simply create a new volume. You just need to insert the new drive (with the system running).  If the disk is formatted, you will need to re-format it from the volumes page in the web ui.  Then click on the drive, and create a new jbod volume.

You'd then create the shares you want on the new volume (the backup jobs are a good way to move files into those shares).  Users will still see a single share list (showing all the shares from all the volumes).

Message 2 of 5
garcianacho
Aspirant

Very thanks for your quick answer.

Sorry, I have explained bad my desire. I use the english as a foreign language, and make mistakes.

My goal is to get a single volume composed of all three disks and 15 TB of capacity.
I can not backup all the information from the two disks that are already in use, then insert the third and create a new raid 0 volume with all three, because I do not have 10 TB free anywhere else.
Any other solution?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@garcianacho wrote:

My goal is to get a single volume composed of all three disks and 15 TB of capacity.

Are you aware that if any single disk fails you will lose all your data? Raid-0 spanning multiple disks is not a good mode of operation if you have no backup. 

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@garcianacho wrote:

Are you aware that if any single disk fails you will lose all your data? Raid-0 spanning multiple disks is not a good mode of operation if you have no backup. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements