× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FTP user isolation on ReadyNAS 316

BennyKind
Guide

FTP user isolation on ReadyNAS 316

We have our readyNAS set up so that users come from from Active Directory. We have an FTP set up on the ReadyNAS 316 so that our guys can transfer large numbers of photographs to us and vice versa. I know that if you have an FTP set up through IIS you can isolate users so that they can only access one particular folder but are you able to do it through the NAS? Or is there a way around it? I am not a technical genius so I might be missing something very obvious but can anyone help me out please?
Message 1 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FTP user isolation on ReadyNAS 316

Hello BennyKind,

On the ReadyNAS admin page, Settings > Services > FTP, make sure Authentication mode is on User. Then the configuration of the permission should be done on the network's Win server.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
BennyKind
Guide

Hi JennC, Thank you. The permissions are fine. I have set it so that each user can only access their one folder but the problem is that user can still see ALL the other folders on the FTP. I would like it so that when each user logs on to the FTP they can only see the one folder that they can access. Does that make sense?
Message 3 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello BennyKind,

Maybe you can try this, after setting the Authentication mode (Settings > Services > FTP), go Shares and on each share that you have enabled with FTP access, uncheck Everyone from the Security and admin marked.

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
BennyKind
Guide

Thanks.

I suppose this does answer my original question and it does work. This limits the user to just their home folder.

However its not quite what I was looking to do. We have one FTP folder on the NAS. Under this folder we create individual folders for each user and set permissions so that they can only access the one with their name. When the user logs on they can see all the sub folders with everyone elses name but can only access theirs.

Although this method isolates them to just their home folder, the home folder it uses is not the one that I want it to be. I want it to be the sub folder under the FTP folder. If that makes any sense!?

Im not sure that this is possible to be honest.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@BennyKind wrote:

Thanks.

I suppose this does answer my original question and it does work. This limits the user to just their home folder.

"home folder" on the NAS has a specialized meaning - I'm not sure if you meant that or not.

@BennyKind wrote:

However its not quite what I was looking to do. We have one FTP folder on the NAS. Under this folder we create individual folders for each user and set permissions so that they can only access the one with their name. When the user logs on they can see all the sub folders with everyone elses name but can only access theirs.

Im not sure that this is possible to be honest.

You could try setting the FTP folder permission to everyone, and then changing the file permission for each user folder using Windows.  If that were to fail, you could alternatively set the user folder permissions (and folder owner) with ssh.

Message 6 of 8
BennyKind
Guide

Hi StephenB,

That is what we currently have. As it stands, Active Directory users only have access to a folder that we have given them permission to access that is located in the FTP folder.

The problem we have is that although they can only access the one folder that we have given them permission to access, they can see all the other folders that they dont have access to as well. I want it so that when the user logs in to FTP site, they see the one folder that we have given them permission to access and that is it.

I think we may be going down a different route to FTP now anyway but thanks for your suggestions.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@BennyKind wrote:

The problem we have is that although they can only access the one folder that we have given them permission to access, they can see all the other folders that they dont have access to as well. I want it so that when the user logs in to FTP site, they see the one folder that we have given them permission to access and that is it.

The easiest way to do that is to enable FTP on each user's home folder. (so the main "share" is \data\home, and not \data\FTP). That should already be locked down in the way you want.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements