× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Factory Reset ReadyNAS Pro (RNDP4000)

Datadan
Tutor

Factory Reset ReadyNAS Pro (RNDP4000)

I have a ReadyNAS pro 4 bay NAS running OS 6.0.10.0 Hotfix 2. I want to sell it. If I do a factory reset will it stay on OS6 or revert back to OS4?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Factory Reset ReadyNAS Pro (RNDP4000)

@Datadan wrote:

I have a ReadyNAS pro 4 bay NAS running OS 6.0.10.0 Hotfix 2. 

You must mean 6.10.0?

@Datadan wrote:

I want to sell it. If I do a factory reset will it stay on OS6 or revert back to OS4?

It will stay on OS6.

However

1. if you are selling it diskless, just remove the disks.  All settings and personal info are on the disks, not in the NAS flash.
  2. If you are selling it with disks, then it is best to zero the disks, and not just do a factory reset.  Otherwise recovery software still could potentially recover your data.

If you use Seagate disks, then the SeaTools utility (Windows) can zero the disks.  Seatools can also test other brands, but I am not sure if the "advanced" erase disk tool is available with other brands.  There are other tools out there that you could use.

When the NAS is booted with the erased disks, it will automatically do a factory install (again OS-6). 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Datadan wrote:

I have a ReadyNAS pro 4 bay NAS running OS 6.0.10.0 Hotfix 2. 

You must mean 6.10.0?

@Datadan wrote:

I want to sell it. If I do a factory reset will it stay on OS6 or revert back to OS4?

It will stay on OS6.

However

1. if you are selling it diskless, just remove the disks.  All settings and personal info are on the disks, not in the NAS flash.
  2. If you are selling it with disks, then it is best to zero the disks, and not just do a factory reset.  Otherwise recovery software still could potentially recover your data.

If you use Seagate disks, then the SeaTools utility (Windows) can zero the disks.  Seatools can also test other brands, but I am not sure if the "advanced" erase disk tool is available with other brands.  There are other tools out there that you could use.

When the NAS is booted with the erased disks, it will automatically do a factory install (again OS-6). 

Message 2 of 5
Datadan
Tutor

Thanks. I do plan on zeroing the disks I was just concerned with the OS.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Datadan wrote:

I do plan on zeroing the disks I was just concerned with the OS.

The OS is installed on the disks, and the system boots from the disks.  The flash memory in the chassis just contains the install image.

So you don't need to do a reset at all.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

You will likely be doing the seller a favor by having OS6 already installed.  IMHO, only someone who needs one into which they intend to insert an existing 4.2.x volume should start off using 4.2.x today.  We are seeing many buyers of used legacy ReadyNAS show up here looking for solutions to the issue accessing it without the OS6 upgrade. Just advertise that it's been updated.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements