× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware K.O'd Readynas 104 error mount_block_root+248

GaryCatlin
Aspirant

Firmware K.O'd Readynas 104 error mount_block_root+248

A firmware ran on my ready nas 104 on friday night and it had restarted, it now displays mount_block_root+248 and does not start and is not accessible. all out data at the moment appears to have gone, from the last 15 + years, including my childrens baby videos/photos. I have tried the usbrecovery but it does nothing, just sits are a debug telnet terminal. I really need help getting the device back online as we are so upset with the loss of all our family data. Please help!

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Re: Firmware K.O'd Readynas 104 error mount_block_root+248

One test that is useful is to try booting the NAS w/o drives, and see if you get the same error, or if you get a no disks status.  My guess is that you will see the same error - but this is pretty easy to try.

First power down the NAS.  Then remove the disks - labeling them by slot number as you remove them.

Then you can power up the NAS diskless, and see what status you get.

Power down the NAS before reinserting the disks.

@GaryCatlin wrote:

I have tried the usbrecovery but it does nothing, just sits are a debug telnet terminal.

Did you create a USB recovery flash drive? FWIW, the instructions for that are a bit confusing for Arm based ReadyNAS like the RN104.

@GaryCatlin wrote:

I really need help getting the device back online as we are so upset with the loss of all our family data.

You could try paid netgear support. 

If you can connect the disks to a Windows PC (either with SATA or USB adapter/docks), then you can try RAID recovery software (which would let you offload the data).  You need a package that supports BTRFS - for instance, ReclaiMe.  https://www.reclaime.com/

I hope you can get the data back.  After you do, you should look into putting a backup plan in place for your NAS.  As you've discovered, RAID isn't enough to protect your data.

Message 2 of 19
GaryCatlin
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the looking at this, I have important stuff backed up its now more the unknown factor. Tried it with out the disks and the same error, the only part i can get to is in debug telnet connection. Its the latest firmware update which has caused it, i don't know if there is a way for flash the firmware from the usb via the debug console. Its setup as per netgear instructions but its not installing the firmware from the usb as per their support page. Tech support are not being helpful at the min, either helping or entertaining me paying for it.

Message 3 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@GaryCatlin wrote:

Its setup as per netgear instructions but its not installing the firmware from the usb as per their support page. Tech support are not being helpful at the min, either helping or entertaining me paying for it.

The instructions for creating the flash are confusing.  

The way I read them, you first need to create the recovery flash using the USB recovery tool.  Then apply the instructions here: https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system#M...

Message 4 of 19
GaryCatlin
Aspirant

Hi,

Yeah tried several usb's just goes to debug telnet thats it

Message 5 of 19
Sandshark
Sensei

Sounds like a UBOOT problem.  USB recovery is supposed to fix it, but you are not the first to report it didn't.  That could point to a hardware failure.  Unfortunately, I'm not an expert there, as it's unique to ARM processors.

But, there is a good chance your volume is intact, so a replacement OS6 NAS could be a solution.  Unfortunately, availability at a reasonable cost is not good.

Message 6 of 19
adrien60
Tutor

Hello @GaryCatlin 

I just got this error after upgrading my RN104 from 6.10.6 to 6.10.7.

First, I tried to create a USB recovery key with 6.10.7 firmware.

After recovery, NAS was power down, and same error happened after I powered it on again.

Then I created a USB recovery key with 6.10.6 firmware.

After recovery, and power on, NAS was alive, with no data loss !

I don't know why the 6.10.7 firmware created this issue, but I think I'll stay on 6.10.6 for now :cathappy:

Hope you'll recover your NAS like me.

Adrien

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 7 of 19
icer91
Aspirant

I had the same experience as @adrien60 reported, where:

1. I got the "mount_block_root+248" error
  2. I tried the USB recovery tool with firmware 6.10.7, but got the same error after rebooting
  3. I tried recovering with 6.10.6 and it worked, with all my data appearing to be intact

Does anyone know what may have caused the "mount_block_root+248" error and if there's a fix for it planned?  Would hate to think this is the last firmware upgrade I'll ever be able to do if this doesn't get fixed in a future release.

Thanks!

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 8 of 19
StephenB
Guru

The error indicates an issue with the flash memory in the NAS - not the firmware update per-se. The USB recovery rewrote the flash, which resolved it.

Not sure how likely it is that a future firmware update would result in the same problem happening again.

Message 9 of 19
icer91
Aspirant

Ok, that's helpful to know @StephenB.  Thanks for the info.  I'll plan to try a firmware upgrade back to 6.10.7 soon, and will loop back here if I run into the same issue.

Message 10 of 19
melvil6311
Aspirant

My RN104 has the same problem.

Currently 6.10.7 cannot be found (why?).

I've tried updating the firmware to 6.10.5 and 6.10.6 using a USB stick,
but the "mount_block_root + 248 error" doesn't go away.

I tried replacing the internal coin battery, but error No change.

I was really disappointed.
This is a catastrophe caused by a firmware bug.

Message 11 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@melvil6311 wrote:

This is a catastrophe caused by a firmware bug.

It's actually a hardware issue (all firmware updates include re-writing the flash memory with the new firmware image, and that appears to have resulted in an error).

You might want to try another USB recovery next, and see if that helps.

Message 12 of 19
adrien60
Tutor

I tried multiple time USB Recovery with 6.10.7, and there is the error each time.

The only thing which work is to revert to 6.10.6 with USB Recovery.

Message 13 of 19
melvil6311
Aspirant

I tried 3 usb sticks,(ver 6.10.6)
But the result is the same.
The error is no changed.

Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@adrien60 wrote:

The only thing which work is to revert to 6.10.6 with USB Recovery.

Then it makes sense to stick with 6.10.6 for now.

FWIW, I installed 6.10.7 on an RN102, and didn't see this particular error.

Message 15 of 19
GaryCatlin
Aspirant

the only solution i found was to get hold of another chassis that has the previous firmware installed, swap the drives over like for like and power it on. it boots up with the older firmware but keeps all you data. I have disabled and further updates from Netgear as their technical want paying for further support. Its a but like the Iphone software slowing down old phones that is going around in the news at the moment, make you wonder if other companies are doing similar stuff with their hardware.

Message 16 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@GaryCatlin wrote:

the only solution i found was to get hold of another chassis that has the previous firmware installed, swap the drives over like for like and power it on. 

Sometimes it is possible to get the firmware image onto the flash manually using tech support mode. But if the flash has completely failed, then the only solution is to get another chassis.

FWIW, the RN104 was launched in 2013, and became "end of life" in 2016, so your NAS was between 6 and 9 years old.  Like all electronics, eventually something will fail.

@GaryCatlin wrote:

it boots up with the older firmware but keeps all you data

What is supposed to happen:

• If the firmware image in the replacement chassis is newer than what is on the disks, the firmware on the disks is updated to match the flash.
  • If the firmware image in the replacement chassis is older than what is on the disks, then the flash image is updated to match the the disks.

Though if the replacement is x86 and the original was arm (or vice versa), then the firmware on the disks has to be updated from the flash, even if that results in a downgrade. If that is your situation, then it is best to do an initial install with a scratch disk, and then make sure the system is running the firmware you want it to run (avoiding a downgrade).

Message 17 of 19
GaryCatlin
Aspirant

If you able to get hold of a chassis as long as it has the previous firmware (the one before latest/current version) move your drive and keep them in the same order, It will, when powered on say, "updating firmware" it will pass and restart the raid, i found online several people doing this and all their data came back, as did mine, luckily. Now have cloud backups in place as well just encase.  

Message 18 of 19
adrien60
Tutor

@GaryCatlin @icer91 

I just seen a new update was posted on ReadyNAS forum : 6.10.8 version.

I tried updating my RNAS104 to this version and... it works !

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements