× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fixing a corrupted TimeMachine backup

ZxF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Fixing a corrupted TimeMachine backup

My Mac tells me that my TimeMachine backup is corrupted. I am running OS X 11.5/6 and ReadyNas OS 6.5.

Upon closer examination I discovered that one item in the backup list is incomplete:

.../2016-05-24-192008.inProgress/

In the past, in cases like this I could simply delete the item in question and everything would go back to normal. I have been trying to delete this item  all morning, to no avail:

1. Trying to delete this entry from the Finder seems impossible. The Finder always respond with "you don't have  enough priviledges...", no matter what I do. I even enabled the root account, but that didn't help either.

2. I thought I could access the TM backup from the Web interface. However, every time I enter the NAS URL I am automatically logged in as admin, not as the TM backup owner. (In both cases I am the account owner).

3. The admin is not the owner of the TM backup. I thought that the admin could access a user's home directory, but either that is not possible or I couldn't figure out how.

Sooooo -  I am stumped. Any thought or suggestions would be much appreciated.

-Franco

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Fixing a corrupted TimeMachine backup

Hi ZxF,

Have you tried the ReadyNAS time machine credential that you configured in the admin page? I believe that should be the credential used in accessing the hidden time machine sparsebundle folder in your ReadyNAS via MAC Finder.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Logging in via AFP the credentials used for Time Machine would let you see the sparsebundle.

Logging in via SMB as the admin user (the user you use to access the local admin page) you would see the sparsebundle in the hidden .timemachine folder inside the main data volume.

Message 3 of 7
ZxF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

Thank you for getting back to me on this. I am not sure what do you mean by  "ReadyNAS time machine credential”. Where exactly do I find those?

Best,
Franco

Message 4 of 7
ZxF
Aspirant
Aspirant

@mdgm wrote:

Logging in via AFP the credentials used for Time Machine would let you see the sparsebundle.

Logging in via SMB as the admin user (the user you use to access the local admin page) you would see the sparsebundle in the hidden .timemachine folder inside the main data volume.

I can indeed log in via AFP, i.e. on my Mac through the Finder, and I can see the sparse bundle in question and all the backups, including the incomplete one, BUT I cannot delete it. At least I haven't found a way to do that, not even as root.

I'll try the SMB route and let you know. Thank you for your suggestion.

Best,

Franco

Message 5 of 7
ZxF
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can indeed log in via AFP, i.e. on my Mac through the Finder, and I can see the sparse bundle in question and all the backups, including the incomplete one, BUT I cannot delete it. At least I haven't found a way to do that, not even as root.

I'll try the SMB route and let you know. Thank you for your suggestion.

Best,

Franco

Message 6 of 7
ZxF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, I have enabled SMB now. Using SMB I can log in as admin, BUT I still can't see the sparse bundle in the other account, let alone delete anything in that account.

I tried to log myself in through SMB as the user who owns the TimeMachine backup, but I wasn't able to.

Best,

Franco

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements