× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help setting up torrents on ReadyNAS rnd4000

Flip4680
Aspirant

Help setting up torrents on ReadyNAS rnd4000

Ok, I've just purchased a readyNAS rnd4000 with x86 architecture. My XBMC laptops can see it, and I can get these laptops to download tv episodes directly to the NAS but so far I still need the laptop turned on to tell the NAS to continue downloading. I've tried following some guides to get utorrent, torrentflux, or transmission running. I've got these applications plus PHPLogcon, PHPMyAdmin, PHP Navigator, Python 2.7, SABnzbd plus a hand full of others but I can't seem to pull it all together. Whenever I try run a torrent application from the netgear admin terminal it downloads a "download" file that I cant seem to do anything with.

Am I on the right track? I've been trying to get this running for a few hours now and I'm starting to pull my hair out. At the end of the day I want the NAS to start the torrent application on bootup, to be able to start a new torrent through my laptop, and be able to shut the laptop down and let the NAS finish the job by itself.

I'm sure that the answer to my question is in the forum somewhere but I couldn't find it no matter how hard I searched. If someone could help me out or at least point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Flip
Message 1 of 9
Flip4680
Aspirant

Re: Help setting up torrents on ReadyNAS rnd4000

Anybody? So far I've got PuTTY installed and I'm trying to follow the directions listed here:
http://readynas.svendens.com/2011/step-1-to-tweaking-your-nas-getting-in-the-box/

But I keep getting access denied even though I'm definitely entering the correct password
Message 2 of 9
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Flip4680 wrote:
But I keep getting access denied even though I'm definitely entering the correct password

But are you entering the correct username? It's "root", not "admin".
Message 3 of 9
Flip4680
Aspirant

I've been entering "ssh root@" as the user. I've also tried "ssh root" and "admin"

I've managed to get BitTorrent running now but still having no joy with utorrent ot torrentflux.

Thanks for the help 🙂
Message 4 of 9
fastfwd
Virtuoso

I assume that you've already installed the EnableRootSSH addon and rebooted as directed. Step by step:

1. Run PuTTY. Set the Session options as follows:
    • Host Name (or IP address): IP address of your NAS

• Connection Type: SSH (Port will automatically be set to 22)

2. Click Open. A console window will open.

3. At the "login as:" prompt, type root

4. At the "root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx's password:" prompt, type the password that you use for logging in to Frontview.

5. Do you still get "access denied"?
Message 5 of 9
Flip4680
Aspirant

Sweet, I'm in thanks very much. The instructions on the web page I was looking at said to use "ssh root@" as the login, using "root" worked. So...

I have root shh accessbut torrentflux and utorrent still won't run properly I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling a few times but torrentflux want to download a "download" file I can't do anything with and utorrent reports error 404.

What should I be looking at to fix this?
Message 6 of 9
Flip4680
Aspirant

I'm still struggling with this...

I have root ssh access now thank to the help from this forum. But I'm still running into the same issues listed above.

I've also been trying to get phpmyadmin running to try and centralise my xbmc libraries and I'm having the same issue with a mysterious "download" file I can't do anything with. Perhaps there's an add on missing or a setting I need to adjust?
Message 7 of 9
fastfwd
Virtuoso

I can't help with torrent issues, but maybe someone else can...
Message 8 of 9
Flip4680
Aspirant

Any pointers on the mysterious download file?
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements