× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IP-Address problem after Firmware upade

thomasx
Aspirant

IP-Address problem after Firmware upade

Hi,

I just updated my ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition (6-bay) from 4.2.27 to 4.2.28, and now my ip address is not only wrong, but also I can neither change it nor use DHCP.

I had user my NAS for a long time under the ip address 10.1.1.5, but the change to 10.9.8.7, including a change of the according router to match the new ip, so that the subnetmask could stay at 255.255.255.0

this worked for several years.

after the update my NAS changed to 10.1.1.5 again, so I had to change my addres on my mac to be able to log on again.

but there i can change the ip address, click save and get a affirming response, but then the numbers revert to the old (wrong) values. I CAN change the Gateway address though, althhough it does not survive a reboot.

what can I do to chenge my ip to the wanted 10.9.8.7 and start using my beloved NAS again?

any help appreciated.

with kind regards,

thomas

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You could try deleting all the logs from the web ui (DON'T download them), and see if that helps.

If it does, then you likely have a filling OS partition.  Let us know either way - even if deleting the log clears it, there still might be an underlying issue that should be looked into.

Message 2 of 9
thomasx
Aspirant

Thanks for these thoughts.

Oddly, after klicking delete, it confirmed me that the network settings have been updated.

after going to the network settings, the gateway field was empty.

I tried to enter my wanted settings, but to the same result: does not work, reverts to the old wrong values.

Anything else I could try?

is there maybe a way to change these setting in a terminal/console?

thomas.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

The failure to apply the settings is almost a symptom of a deeper problem.

One option would be per-incident Netgear support.  They could log in remotely to solve the problem (though that might be a bit tricky with the bad IP address).

Message 4 of 9
thomasx
Aspirant

since for me everything worked perfectly before, is it possible to just go back to 4.2.27 and maybe (hopefully) have everything working again?

thomas.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@thomasx wrote:

since for me everything worked perfectly before, is it possible to just go back to 4.2.27 and maybe (hopefully) have everything working again?

thomas.

You could try that of course.

Message 6 of 9
thomasx
Aspirant

I just did. but same behaviour afterwards. 😕

that's strange.

are there any more/other things I could try?

How can I get an incident-support?

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You'd contact support.netgear.com, and ask about per-incident support for the NAS.  They won't give any support (on any terms) if you aren't the original purchaser.

Is SSH enabled?  I'm guessing not, but thought it's worth checking.

Message 8 of 9
thomasx
Aspirant

Not that I am aware of. No fancy changes to the system have been made, since I would like my data to be safe.

So if it would have been to been activated to be enabled, it is not. 

I am the original purchaser - so I should try that incident support. 

So far thank you very much for your support. I appreciate it a lot.

Thomas.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements