× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Impossible to open files. #28124662

JPM39a
Aspirant

Impossible to open files. #28124662

Hi,

Readynas NV+ / 4x2To  / X raid

FW 4.1.15

W7 + Firefox 51.0.1 32 bits

Yesterday I had problems to access my files, both with SMB and NFS.

I saw with  Frontview that both protocols were disabled. I tried to select them again but every time I entered the protocol page, both remain unchecked.

It seems to me that all the modifications that I tried to make in the configuration were not stored and even, some of them  could be cancelled.

Https were selected (gray)  but there had no access rights defined.

I can start and stop the nas which boots without any problem.

I performed a memory test. It reports no error.

I decided to try an OS reinstall (good or bad idea, I don't know) but since I have did it the Frontview panel is corrupted:

FrontView corrupted_s.jpg

In the same time I can see the 3 shares of my nas but can't browse them with "Total Commander". Using an old PC running XP I can browse the shares but remain unable to open only one file.

I also tried to putty the nas without luck.

Now I have gone above my limited skills on this matter. Any idea on what to do to try to solve this problem will be welcome.

Regards,

Model: ReadyNASRND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Impossible to open files.

The main system log and the ReadyDLNA log filled the 2GB root volume.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Impossible to open files. #28124662

This sounds like a full OS partition.

Do you have a backup of the data?  If so, a factory reset is the simplest way to proceed.

Or if you are comfortable enough with ssh, it is possible to boot the NAS into tech support mode, and access ssh with telnet.  You'd then need to mount the OS partition and manually clean it.  Netgear paid support can do this this remotely.  If you are the original purchaser, you could contact them via my.netgear.com and ask for per-incident support.

Message 2 of 11
JPM39a
Aspirant

Thank you for this very quick response.

Yes, I have a backup but I didn't make it every days, so I will loose some files if I try the factory reset that you have suggested. For this reason, I would prefer to use this option as the last chance.
Saying  "confortable" regarding my SSH knowledge is definitely excessive. I am absolutly unable to "translate" the solution that you have proposed into command lines. I already used SSH for other devices with commands found on the internet. If somebody is able to told me what command lines to enter in this case I'm surely able to do that on the nas. In case of mistake, the only consquence will probably to be obliged to use the factory reset. Right ?

On the other side, If the cost is reasonable, paying for tech support is not a problem and would probably be the safer solution. Any idea about this cost ?

Regards,

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@JPM39a wrote:

On the other side, If the cost is reasonable, paying for tech support is not a problem and would probably be the safer solution. Any idea about this cost ?

I don't work for Netgear, so I don't know current pricing.  It does depend on geography, but the last I heard US per-incident suppport for this would be about $75.

Some posters here haven't been offered the per-incident option (instead they were given the price for a service contract).  So you might need to press Netgear a bit.

Occassionally Netgear mods here can help out with courtesy support (depending on the issue and how much else they are dealing with).  So keep an eye on your messages (upper right of the forum) - it's possible one might reach out to you.

Message 4 of 11
JPM39a
Aspirant

OK, I wait and cross my fingers.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@StephenB wrote:

Or if you are comfortable enough with ssh, it is possible to boot the NAS into tech support mode, and access ssh with telnet.

Actually both give access to the shell not SSH. SSH is the secure shell. Telnet is unsecure and doesn't use SSH (though you can tunnel telnet over SSH). The key advantage of telnet is that the service is almost guaranteed to start and be usable.

Tech support mode is a low level diagnostic mode intended for use by support. Using it yourself would have the same implications as using SSH in normal mode.

Message 6 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The main system log and the ReadyDLNA log filled the 2GB root volume.

Message 7 of 11
JPM39a
Aspirant

Thanks to stephen for his diagnosis and to mdmd for his intervention, my problem has been solved very fast and without any data loose.
One last question: since 2 or 3 weeks it was impossible to shut down the nas with frontview. I had to press the power button. I did not take care of this matter but I'm now wondering if it wasn't the first symptoms of the full OS partition.

What is your opinion about that ?

Thank you again and have a good day.

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@JPM39a wrote:

I'm now wondering if it wasn't the first symptoms of the full OS partition.

What is your opinion about that ?

I think that's likely.  Though perhaps test it now that the OS has been cleaned.

BTW, the v1 ReadyNAS are getting pretty dated.  Though they seem to keep on ticking, at some point it will actually fail.  Plus the newer NAS have better performance, and Netgear is no longer providing security updates for the legacy NAS.

So you might want to plan for an upgrade - perhaps keeping your tried-and-true v1 as a backup NAS until it finally falls apart.  I've done that with my own v1 (NV+ and duo). 

Message 9 of 11
JPM39a
Aspirant

I will try. Maybe it could allowed me to anticipate if the problem should recur.
You are right, time to consider replacing that NAS is coming but (unfortunately) the WAF of this idea has to be checked before :womansad:.

Using the old one as a backup will improve the current situation. For the moment I use several USB drives and it's a bit tedious. The result is that the backup is not 100% up to date all the time.

Knowing that the performance of the NV+ is not far to be sufficient for my use (except capacity but I suppose that it follows the today drives ones) Which model (4 bays) would you recommend ?

Model: ReadyNASRND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@JPM39a wrote:

Which model (4 bays) would you recommend ?

The RN104 is the entry level product.  Overall it is ~3x faster than the NV+, but it does seem to run into performance limits here - especially if you are running apps or services like antivirus.

Personally I think the RN214 is a right choice for most home users.  It provides ~100 MB/sec throughput on a gigabit network.  Warranty is 3 years.

The RN314 has about the same overall performance (using an Intel processor not ARM).  The advantage of the RN314 is that it's warranty is longer (5 years).  It's worth checking prices on both before you buy.

If you want a step up from the RN214, the RN424 is brand new and worth looking at.  It's also intel-based with a 5 year warranty.  

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements