× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Initiate a local copy or move on the server, then disconnect while the task runs to completion

Initiate a local copy or move on the server, then disconnect while the task runs to completion

Running RNOS6 on RNDU600+

Looking to initiate a local copy or move of large collection of file on the server, then disconnect the PC while the task runs to completion. For example, move a branch of several hundred GB of small files from one share to another, or copy them within a share.

Seems like doing it from my PC (on wireless) is inefficient as every file seems to get sent to the PC first, then back to the NAS.

Is there not some way to issue the command on the NAS, so that it will continue the operation even if the PC is disconnected?

Model: ReadyNASRNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Initiate a local copy or move on the server, then disconnect while the task runs to completion

Have you tried doing it using the web admin page?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Initiate a local copy or move on the server, then disconnect while the task runs to completion

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

The backup job mechanism can be useful for this (and it can send an email notification when it is complete).

Message 3 of 5

Yes, soon after I wrote this I discoverd the 'filemanager' under the share feature of the web admin, and that seems to do the trick w.r.t. not copying the files locally. I have not tried ending the session and coming back to it, however, but this solves my most immediate issue, thanks!

Message 4 of 5

Yes, I've started to use this backup feature but didn't think of using it for a one-time copy. Nice tip, thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements