× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intel® Atom™ Processor C2000 Product Family Errata AVR54

Laserbait
Luminary

Intel® Atom™ Processor C2000 Product Family Errata AVR54

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/atom-c2000-family-...

AVR54 states:

AVR54.PNG

I know my RN316 uses a D2700 CPU, but are any ReadyNAS devices affected by this errata?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

Through the postings on this community web site, and other sources, NETGEAR has been made aware of a component which may increase the risk of a hardware failure on our ReadyNAS 3130, ReadyNAS 3138. We consider issues such as these very serious. We are currently assessing the specific risk of this issue on two products and expect to share the results of our assessment with the impacted customers within a week.  We stand by the products with our warranty program, which is among the best in the industry.  We will make every effort to minimize possible negative impacts to our customers. 

UPDATE: Please see  NETGEAR Support Service Note for RN3130, RN3138, WC7500, and WC7600v2

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I don't know of any ReadyNAS that uses the C2000 processors.

Message 2 of 15
bridges86406
Tutor

@StephenBdon't know what you mean I have the RN3138. It has a C2000 family processor (specifically C2558) . I wonder how Netgear is going to handle this?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/rangeley/specifications.html

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@bridges86406 wrote:

I have the RN3138. It has a C2000 family processor (specifically C2558) .

I checked the desktop NAS, but didn't check the rackmount.  The RN3130 and RN3138 both have these processors.

@bridges86406 wrote:

I wonder how Netgear is going to handle this?

I don't work for them, so I have no idea.  

The ReadyNAS are covered by the 5 year hardware warranty (assuming you purchased new from an authorized reseller).  So you would be entitled to an RMA if you see a failure.

Also, reading through the AVR, it appears that this problem only happens if there is another failure on the system board (that is, if the LPC clocks stop functioning).  Are you seeing any issues on your own system that might be caused by this AVR?

Message 4 of 15
bulcsu_kovacs
Aspirant

What about RN314? I couldnt find more specific info besides 'Intel® Atom 2.1GHz dual core' - its promising, because there is no 2.1GHz proc on Intel's list, but I'd really like to see some confirmation...

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

SmallNetBuilder wrote:

"Each member of the ReadyNAS 300 family is powered by a 2.13 GHz Intel D2700 dual-core Atom"

Message 6 of 15
Laserbait
Luminary

Actually, the LPC is part of the C2XXX chip, and it's the clockgen for the entire SOC.  It's the part that fails, and renders the chip inoperable.

Message 7 of 15
bridges86406
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

@bridges86406 wrote:

I have the RN3138. It has a C2000 family processor (specifically C2558) .

I checked the desktop NAS, but didn't check the rackmount.  The RN3130 and RN3138 both have these processors.

@bridges86406 wrote:

I wonder how Netgear is going to handle this?

I don't work for them, so I have no idea.  

The ReadyNAS are covered by the 5 year hardware warranty (assuming you purchased new from an authorized reseller).  So you would be entitled to an RMA if you see a failure.

Also, reading through the AVR, it appears that this problem only happens if there is another failure on the system board (that is, if the LPC clocks stop functioning).  Are you seeing any issues on your own system that might be caused by this AVR?

It was just a rhetorical comment that I will be contacting Netgear about. 

I don't think it's a good strategy to just hope that it doesn't die in 5 years, considering the supplier is stating they know that it can/will fail.  I purchased this $1,100+ NAS with the hope that it would work for me until I am ready or need to replace it.  A NAS that has a part that is known to have a substantial failure rate is worthless.

Message 8 of 15
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

Through the postings on this community web site, and other sources, NETGEAR has been made aware of a component which may increase the risk of a hardware failure on our ReadyNAS 3130, ReadyNAS 3138. We consider issues such as these very serious. We are currently assessing the specific risk of this issue on two products and expect to share the results of our assessment with the impacted customers within a week.  We stand by the products with our warranty program, which is among the best in the industry.  We will make every effort to minimize possible negative impacts to our customers. 

UPDATE: Please see  NETGEAR Support Service Note for RN3130, RN3138, WC7500, and WC7600v2

Message 9 of 15
Laserbait
Luminary

Hello Douglas, will Netgear be sharing the results of this with the community as well? These 3138 and 3130 models are still being sold. and it would be bad form to leave these out in the wild, knowing they have a potentially serious problem.

Message 10 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The statement Douglas posted reflects our position. For now we should let our assessment run its course.

Message 11 of 15
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, NETGEAR will share the findings with the community.  We realize that the data is most critical to our customers and the reliability of the ReadyNAS is paramount.

Doug

Message 12 of 15
bridges86406
Tutor

How can this be marked solved?

What was the solution? 

Message 13 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We don't have any further updates yet. The post marked as the solution is the latest update on the situation.

Message 14 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements