× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with ReadyNas NV+ after changing a drive

mlight
Aspirant

Issue with ReadyNas NV+ after changing a drive

Yesterday I swapped out the 4th drive in my ReadyNas NV+.  I got a number of emails from the NAS.

- Disk remove event occurred on SATA channel 4.

- Disk fail event occurred on SATA channel 4.

- A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity.  It is recommended that you perform a RAID volume resync from the RAID Settings tab ( accessible in the Volumes page => Volume tab in  FrontView ).  The resync process will run in the background, and you can continue to use the ReadyNAS in the meantime.

- Disk add event occurred on SATA channel 4.

- Disk initialization started.  The estimated time of completion is 17 hour(s) and 39 minute(s), at which time you will be notified via email.  You can also check the progress in Frontview in the Volumes -> RAID Settings tab.  Please do not shutdown the system while the initialization is in progress.

==================

Sometime after that last email I noticed that the NAS was unreachable.  I wasn't sure about the time, but it was probably under an hour.  I couldn't ping it or use the Raidair app to connect to it. 

There wasn't a message on the front panel, it just had the IP address and the size info.  So I just let the NAS blink away, waiting for when it would be finished.

And that last email was yesterday more than 24 hours ago.

This was the 4th drive that I swapped out.  I had to swap out Drive 2 due to a sudden failure.  I had been receiving occassional SMART error emails on Drive 3, but nothing on Drive 2.  I swapped out Drive 2.  It initialized successfully and it synced successfully.  That was in April of this year.  When Drive 3 went past the 30 mark on SMART errors, I swapped that out too.  That was at the end of September of this year.  A few days ago on the 1st of December, I swapped out Drive 1 and that went well.

So I am having trouble with Drive 4 now.  All of the drives are WD 2GB Reds.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Issue with ReadyNas NV+ after changing a drive

The drives have a 3 year warranty, are they still covered?

In terms of how to proceed - I'd power down the NAS and test all the drives with WDC's lifeguard program in a PC.  Label by slot of course.

You can also try booting the system w/o drive 4 (power down before you remove it).

Do you have a backup of the data?

Message 2 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello mlight,

Please download the logs.

Can you also please check what you get under Volumes > Volume Settings? Post a screenshot if possible.

Regards,

Message 3 of 8
mlight
Aspirant

I can't get to the readyNas NV+ to get the logs.

I haven't shut it down yet.

The othere 3 drives are fine.  I just picked up this drive last week, so I can return it there.

Message 4 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello mlight,

Have you already tried booting without the disk 4?

Regards,

Message 5 of 8
mlight
Aspirant

I had to unplug the unit from the power since the power buttong wasn't working.

Popped out the drive and then turned on the box.  It came up fine with 3 drives.

The logs did not show anything after drive 4 started the initialization.  That was it until I had to shut down the unit.

Date Message 
Fri Dec 4 00:36:01 VET 2015System is up.
Fri Dec 4 00:27:29 VET 2015Improper shutdown detected. To ensure data integrity, a filesystem check should be performed by rebooting the NAS through Frontview with the volume scan option enabled.
Wed Dec 2 11:42:36 VET 2015Disk initialization started. The estimated time of completion is 17 hour(s) and 39 minute(s), at which time you will be notified via email. You can also check the progress in Frontview in the Volumes -> RAID Settings tab. Please do not shutdown the system while the initialization is in progress.
Wed Dec 2 11:42:29 VET 2015Disk add event occurred on SATA channel 4.
Wed Dec 2 11:37:12 VET 2015A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity. It is recommended that you perform a RAID volume resync from the RAID Settings tab ( accessible in the Volumes page => Volume tab in FrontView ). The resync process will run in the background, and you can continue to use the ReadyNAS in the meantime.
Wed Dec 2 11:36:43 VET 2015Disk fail event occurred on SATA channel 4. If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead. If this disk is a part of a RAID 6 volume, your volume is still protected if this is your first failure. A 2nd disk failure will make your volume unprotected. It is recommended that you replace the failed disk as soon as possible to maintain optimal protection of your volume.
Wed Dec 2 11:36:00 VET 2015Disk remove event occurred on SATA channel 4.
Wed Dec 2 09:26:23 VET 2015RAID sync finished on volume C. The volume is now fully redundant.
Wed Dec 2 02:51:10 VET 2015RAID sync started on volume C.
Message 6 of 8
mlight
Aspirant

After the ReadyNas NV+ came up with the three drives, I went ahead and put in drive 4.

It made it through the initialization and now is at 65% on the resync.  I am watching the progress through Fronview.

It indicates that it has a little over two hours to go.

So I am not sure what happened on first attempt, but it is churning away.  I will let report back when it has finished.

Message 7 of 8
mlight
Aspirant

It finished a while ago with the resync.  So everything is ok.

Not sure what the initial issue was. 😞

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements