× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues with V6.10.9

Sandshark
Sensei

Issues with V6.10.9

I don't know if anyone else here has a ReadyData 5200 converted to ReadyNAS OS6, but I have some issues after I updated to 6.10.9 that I want to alert others to and find out if anyone else has found any similar issues with other models.  I don't seem to have the same issues with my converted RN4200's.  Since I went straight from 6.9.6 (long-term stable) to 6.10.9, I do not know where the disconnect occurred.  I also haven't compared old to new .conf files to see if other models could be affected, but I know a properly converted RD516 won't have the issue, because the OS thinks it's an RN516.

Basically, it's clear that the programmers of OS6.10.10 had no idea what an RD5200 is or that it can run ReadynasOS.  Two things stood out immediately:  /etc/frontview/sensors/RD5200.conf is just plain wrong,  and the picture of the NAS shown on the "Overview" page is of a router, not a NAS.

Yup, there is still a .conf file for the RD5200, but instead of having three chassis fans, one CPU fan, a system temperature, and a CPU temperature on the Performance page, it has a single system fan and just the system temperature.  I rectified that by replacing it with my personally modified version from V6.9.6, since I always store a copy just in case.  I have no idea how to change the picture, but that's of not real concern except that it shows the ignorance of the programmer(s).  (Note to anyone having this issue and no saved .conf, just copy the RN4200 one.)

It does properly recognize that the unit has 12 drives on a SAS expander where a 4200 has 8 on SAS without an expander and 4 on SATA, so at least I didn't loose my volume.  But ReadyNAS can recognize drives on "non-supported" interfaces if you first initialize them on a "supported" one, so I'm not sure it's really 100% correct.  But since the picture on the System page is right and even shows the correct (and different from the RN4200) bay numbering, I think it's OK there.

Long-removed volumes now appear in the Volume and Utilization displays on the Performance page.  It turns out I've had entries in system.log regarding them before 6.10.9, but they were never shown on the Performance page.  Here is a log entry (eda3 below was removed years ago), where it seems the unit is trying to take snapshots of a non-existent volume..

Mar 24 06:00:03 RD5200A snapperd[11200]: THROW: open failed path:/eda3/Docs2 errno:2 (No such file or directory)

What keeps happening, and never did before on 6.9.6 and bothers me the most, is that processes keep getting reset.  I almost always keep an SSH window open, and Putty keeps informing me that the NAS stopped responding due to a reset.  Moreover, readynasd, btrfstransacti, smbd, even zerotier-one and almost everything show a very small time accumulation in top, though I've been running the NAS constantly for a few days.  The only task that seems to have an appropriate amount of time is Eaton-IPP (which I installed to monitor my Eaton UPS a few years ago).  I can find nothing in the logs that seems to indicate why these resets are occurring, or even that they are.

So before I decide whether to to go back to 6.9.6 (which Netgear recommends against), I want to especially find out if anyone else is seeing anything similar with regard to resetting processes in 6.10.9 (or 6.10.10).  My two backup RD4200 NAS don't run long enough to see if anything is resetting, though I may find I need to just to find out.  I ran 6.10.9 on them for a couple months before I bit the bullet and moved to it on my main NAS.

Message 1 of 2
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Issues with V6.10.9

OK, so it's my bad on the configuration file.  I had completely forgotten that the as-shipped RD6200 has the chassis fans connected to the backplane, causing them to be uncontrollable and run full blast all the time.  The RD5200.conf in OS6.10.9 is correct for that configuration.

It took some doing to fix the issue with the snapshots.  I had to look at all the entries in  /etc/snapper/configs and delete the ones that don't apply and then remove those configurations from  /etc/sysconfig/snapper.  I have no idea why these still existed.  Maybe because I just destroyed the volumes without first destroying the shares on them.

None of this affected the fact that I still get occasional resets of some processes.  The graphic is still wrong on the System/Overview page of the GUI, but I can live with that.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements