× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Jumbo Frame question (Duo v2) & Perf update (new router)

Lithium-Admin
Novice

Jumbo Frame question (Duo v2) & Perf update (new router)

Hi Guys,

Quick question. I used to own the Duo v1, where you can turn on/off jumbo frames. I don't see that on the latest firmware for Duo v2. Also, I can't find it anywhere on documentation in regards to jumbo frames on the v2. Can anyone tell me if jumbo frames are enabled/disabled/unsupported in Duo v2??? 😄

Lastly, I was using a Netgear WNDR 3700v2. My entire home network is on Ethernet CAT5e. I just upgraded my router to ASUS RT-N66U. This thing is amazing. I used to get 50-60 MB/s copying from the NAS to my MBP on gigabit LAN. Now, after changing out the router, I'm getting 95-110 MB/s on NAS to MBP (over LAN) file copy. Haven't tried out write to NAS on LAN, but I'm sure it will be insane as well.

Thanks for your help!
Message 1 of 8
HERBIEO
Aspirant

I dont think there is any support for jumbo frames at the moment, but maybe in a future update there will be.
Message 2 of 8
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Duo v2 RAIDiator 5.3.5 does not support jumbo frames.
Message 3 of 8
Lithium-Admin
Novice

Thanks to both!
Message 4 of 8
christopherw
Aspirant

I'm not sure if the Duo v2 really needs to 'support' Jumbo frames, I get decent enough read and writes without it explicitly enable-able on the unit. (Just under 47 Mbps write speed, 58 Mbps read speed tested in iometer using the config file from the site.) Who knows? It may already implicitly support a 9000 MTU; given the unit's running X-RAID2 on an ARM CPU I'm pretty happy with these results.

(I have a Ultra 2 at home, throughput isn't much faster than this!)
Message 5 of 8
Lithium-Admin
Novice

Well, to my understanding jumbo frames would help significantly to increase the write speeds and doesn't really affect the read speeds.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your getting 58 Mbps = 7.25 megabytes / second, that's 7.25 MB/s... isn't that a bit slow?

I'm getting above 100 MB/s read on my Duo v2 (100 MB/s = 800 Mbps). Pretty much maximizing my gigabit ethernet network at home (1 000 000 000 (bits per second) = 119.20929 MB/s).
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

honcho wrote:
Well, to my understanding jumbo frames would help significantly to increase the write speeds and doesn't really affect the read speeds.
The reason jumbo frames increases performance is that most NIC cards will generate one interrupt per packet. The larger frames reduce the packet per second rate, which lowers the CPU overhead. This mechanism applies to both read and writes.
Message 7 of 8
Lithium-Admin
Novice

Cool! Thanks for the info!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements