× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lost connection to RNDP4000

Datadan
Tutor

Lost connection to RNDP4000

I have a ReadyNAS pro 4 bay NAS running OS 6.0.10.0. It has been rock solid for years. Today I cannot access it. It has a static IP address. Raidar can't find it. I can't ping it. I have rebooted it several times. I see the act led flashing while booting and shortly after it starts up but then it extinguishes. My router detects the port running at 1gb/s. I don't get any errors on the NAS display. Any thoughts as to what is wrong? Is it bricked? Can I swap the drives out into a new ReadyNAS without losing data?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Datadan
Tutor

Re: Lost connection to RNDP4000

Rebooted the router....problem solved!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Start by removing all the drives (labeling them by slot, so you don't lose track of the order).

Then power up the NAS, and see if RAIDar will find it (and also look at the LCD display).  Both should give a no disks status, and you should get a DHCP address from your router.

You can also test the disks in a Windows PC with vendor tools (WD's lifeguard or digital dashboard, or Seagate's Seatools).  Windows can't mount the disks, but the diags will still find them.  You can connect them either using SATA or a USB adapter/dock.  Run the short test first, and if that passes run the full long test (the short test amounts to a confidence test).

FWIW, I prefer lifeguard over the newer dashboard software - it gives more information on what's going on.

Message 2 of 6
Datadan
Tutor

Rebooted the router....problem solved!

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

One problem with a static IP is that the router doesn't know that address is reserved, unless you've assigned one outside the DHCP range.  So it can assign two devices to the same address, making both inaccessible.  Address reservation in the router is a better way to get a fixed address for your NAS.

Message 4 of 6
Datadan
Tutor

@Sandshark wrote:

One problem with a static IP is that the router doesn't know that address is reserved, unless you've assigned one outside the DHCP range.  So it can assign two devices to the same address, making both inaccessible.  Address reservation in the router is a better way to get a fixed address for your NAS.

I shouldn't have that problem because my router's assignable DHCP range is configured above 192.168.2.100, wheras all of my static IP's are .10, .20, .30 etc.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Datadan wrote:
I shouldn't have that problem because my router's assignable DHCP range is configured above 192.168.2.100, wheras all of my static IP's are .10, .20, .30 etc.

Another common scenario getting an address conflict (or incompatible address) when you change routers.

Obviously not a big deal if you know what you are doing, but still I suggest using address reservation instead of assigning IP addresses manually.  Personally I like having all the addresses managed in one place.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements