× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Missing files and "dead volume"

rbn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Missing files and "dead volume"

Hi, I have a ReadyNAS DUO (v1) with two 2TB Seagate Barracuda disks in it. I powered it down for some days (going on a holiday) and when I came back and powered it up again, I noticed some files were missing (no new files from the last 2 months were there)... I had a backup but that disk is now dead/unreadable. I can access the shares though, and I have made a new backup of what was (left in) there. I fear I cannot get the missing files back. RAIDar shows green light on the status of the two disks, but the volume status has yellow light and reads: "Volume C: RAID level X, Dead; 1463 GB (79%) of 1846 GB used". What does this indicate, and what could be done to fix this problem?

Best regards,
Ruben
Message 1 of 9
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Missing files and "dead volume"

Are you still able to access Frontview? If yes, kindly go to Status>Health and click on Smart+ button of each drive to check if there are errors on both 2TB Seagate disks.

What is the current firmware version on your NAS?
Message 2 of 9
rbn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I am able to access Frontview... The current firmware version of my DUO is RAIDiator 4.1.13. Here are the disk results of the SMART+:

SMART Information for Disk 1

Model: ST2000DL003-9VT166
Serial: <REMOVED BY MODERATOR>
Firmware: CC3C

SMART Attribute

Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 120
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Power On Hours 20556
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 120
Runtime Bad Block 0
End-to-End Error 0
Reported Uncorrect 0
Command Timeout 0
High Fly Writes 0
Airflow Temperature Cel 26
G-Sense Error Rate 0
Power-Off Retract Count 119
Load Cycle Count 120
Temperature Celsius 26
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Head Flying Hours 242846040870982
Total LBAs Written 2722003001
Total LBAs Read 4180960653

ATA Error Count 0

Extended Attribute

Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 15
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0

SMART Information for Disk 2

Model: ST2000DM001-1E6164
Serial: <REMOVED BY MODERATOR>
Firmware: CC45

SMART Attribute

Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 67
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Power On Hours 2539
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 67
Runtime Bad Block 0
End-to-End Error 0
Reported Uncorrect 0
Command Timeout 0
High Fly Writes 1
Airflow Temperature Cel 24
G-Sense Error Rate 0
Power-Off Retract Count 67
Load Cycle Count 23928
Temperature Celsius 24
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Head Flying Hours 163363376071290
Total LBAs Written 8294375079
Total LBAs Read 4981984358

ATA Error Count 0

Extended Attribute

Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 0
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0
Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well your ST2000DL003-9VT166 disk has firmware with a known issue.

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 4 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Saw this in your diagnostics.log

Memory
-------------------------------
* Found errors on your system that are generally caused by bad memory. Please contact support about this issue.

When did you purchase this issue? I assume you purchased it more than 3 years ago in which case it would be out of hardware warranty.

When the RAM fails if the unit is under hardware warranty we replace the chassis.

If you purchased e.g. a 312 you could contact support enquiring about the cost of data recovery to see if anything could be done to recover the data from your Duo. Don't put the disks into the 312 until prompted to by support and be careful to follow their instructions.
Message 5 of 9
rbn
Aspirant
Aspirant

The unit was purchased 09.12.2011... If the error (I don't know if it is possible to see the date of it in the logs) occurred at an earlier date within the 3 year period, is it possible get covered by the hardware warranty? If this is not the case, I suppose it is not an easy task replacing the RAM in the ReadyNAS like one would do on a computer (or perhaps it is not worth the money)?
Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The warranty has expired. The case would have to be open before then.

You could try replacing the RAM. It has to have as close to the same specs as possible and the same physical layout. Be sure to run the memory test at least a few times before trusting it. Note that it is possible that incompatible memory may pass the memory test which is one reason why we don't support memory upgrades.
Message 7 of 9
rbn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much for identifying the problem! Are you sure that the RAM is the only problem on my ReadyNAS and that the disks are OK? You mentioned that my ST2000DL003-9VT166 disk has firmware with a known issue.. do you know what kind of issue is this?

I think I will try replacing the RAM... also I will try searching for lost/deleted files with a recovery program like "R-Linux" or "Stellar Phoenix Linux Data Recovery" by connecting the disk to my computer, and see how it goes.
Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=64510

No I'm not sure. You could power down, remove the disks, label order, connect to PC and test them using SeaTools.

Perhaps also run the memory test boot menu option a few times
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements