× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Move existing drives from RNDP6000 to RNDP600E ... is it possible?

PredatorVI
Tutor

Move existing drives from RNDP6000 to RNDP600E ... is it possible?

My ReadyNAS Pro 6 (RNDP6000v2) power supply bit the dust.  They are sending me a newer unit via RMA but the OS and X-RAID configuration won't be compatible with the old drives.  There may be a data recovery option, but I suspect it will be pricey.  

It's primarily a media server for my DVD/BluRay collection but also has other personal files I'd like to keep intact.  While most of the data exists scattered across various formats on other systems or online storage (DropBox/Google Drive, Original Disc, etc.), I'd prefer if possible to transfer it intact.

I am looking to see if I could put the old drives in a functioning RNDP600E in a way that will allow me to mount the XRaid volume and transfer the data off to the new unit intact.

Does anyone know if that is possible?  If not, would it work with an identical RNDP6000v2?

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Move existing drives from RNDP6000 to RNDP600E ... is it possible?

What NAS model are they sending you?

@PredatorVI wrote:

I am looking to see if I could put the old drives in a functioning RNDP600E in a way that will allow me to mount the XRaid volume and transfer the data off to the new unit intact.

That works, though it'd be good to put the same firmware on the 600E before you do it.  If you skip this step, the system will update the OS on the disks to match whatever is in the flash.  That often has no bad effects, but if the firmware is very mismatched it can cause problems.

If there are no drives in the 600E, you can temporarily install a scratch disk, then match the firmeware.  If you aren't sure what you were running in the pro, then install the latest firmware (4.2.31).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What NAS model are they sending you?

@PredatorVI wrote:

That works, though it'd be good to put the same firmware on the 600E before you do it.  If you skip this step, the system will update the OS on the disks to match whatever is in the flash.  That often has no bad effects, but if the firmware is very mismatched it can cause problems.

If there are no drives in the 600E, you can temporarily install a scratch disk, then match the firmeware.  If you aren't sure what you were running in the pro, then install the latest firmware (4.2.31).

Message 2 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I wouldn't buy such an old unit. That's buying an older unit than what failed with a less powerful CPU. Though if you already have the Pro Pioneer that's different.

If support doesn't have stock of your unit they may at their discretion offer to replace it with a comparable newer model.

We have a process you can follow: ReadyNAS: Migrating disks from RAIDiator 4.2 to ReadyNAS OS 6 (x86)

Essentially we try to boot RAIDiator-x86 4.2 off the disks so that you can backup your data.

If the replacement chassis is running very, very old firmware it can be a good idea to update the firmware to something a bit more recent using a scratch disk (must not be from your array). Don't need to be on the very latest for this. You could make sure that it's running 6.5.2 or later for example. Then power down, remove the scratch disk, move your disks across (keep the order the same) and see if it will boot up fine.

If it does then there'd be no need for any contract unless you have problems copying your data off or restoring it and decide you need help from support with that.

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

Though if you already have the Pro Pioneer that's different.

I was assuming he already had it.  I agree that buying one isn't the best idea, unless the price is really good.

Message 4 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

You said that "they" are sending a "newer unit" via RMA.  If "they" is Netgear, then refuse the unit because the RNDP600E is not a newer unit than the RNDP6000-200 and whoever you were talking to at Netgear needs some training.  If your initial unit was an RNDP6000-100 (Readynas Pro Business Edition) instead of a RNDP6000-200 (ReadyNAS Pro6), then the hardware is the same but the firmware options and warranty are different.  But there should be no RNDP6000-100's still under warranty to get an RMA while some RNDP6000-200's are.  Now, if you misunderstood and they are sending an RNDU600P (Ultra 6 Plus), then the hardware is the same as the RNDP6000-200.

But all these units do run the same firmware (4.2.x by design, 6.x by unsupported upgrade) and the drives can be moved between them so long as the firmware versions are the same.

Message 5 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Ultra 6 Plus has the same CPU as the Pro Pioneer and Pro Business Edition. The Pro 6 has a faster CPU.

I looked up the case and they're waiting for the Pro to be sent in before sending out a RN516 which is a nice step up from the Pro 6.

Message 6 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

My Ultra6 Plus has the same processor as my Pro6.  Just got lucky, I guess.  I thought the only difference was that the Pro6's were sold as integrated systems and the Ultra6Plus as diskless with a shorter warranty, much like back in the Pro BE vs. Pro Pioneer days.

Message 7 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some Ultra 6 Plus systems may have been made with Pro 6 hardware by mistake I think.

Message 8 of 16
PredatorVI
Tutor

Thanks!  That's what I needed.  For the other responses, I'll add some clarification that might help.

What I have:            RNDP6000 (6 x 2TB) running ReadyNAS OS 4

Replacement Unit:   RN51600 running ReadyNAS OS 6

The support agent told me that I can NOT move the old drives to the new unit as it will reformat the drives because of the way OS 6 differs from OS 4.  He said they MAY have a data recovery option I could purchase to migrate the data.  He didn't have details on pricing yet and I did not clarify what that would entail.

So I am now investigating:

1. Will it be cheaper to find a used ReadyNAS running the same OS 4 family to either transfer the old drives to OR use the power supply to get my old unit to power on and migrate the data?
  2. Will it even work?
    1. I may have found an RNDP600E and wondered if this would work.  I think the answer is yes for using an equivalent OS4-based unit.

I'm still waiting on whether it will be cheaper. 🙂

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm-ntgr linked in the process support was talking about in his post - https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86

It lets you mount the volume read-only, then you have to copy it to other storage.  Then do the regular install, and copy the data back.

Message 10 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Since you said it was an "RMA", I assumed you had to return the old unit.  If you never have to return it, it is quite easy to hook up an ATX supply to allow you to move the data and even to totally replace the supply.  But doing so will void the warranty, and you don't want to return it for RMA with evidence that you've opened it, or you might find yourself paying retail for the new NAS. 

The RNDP600E can also be used to recover your data if you need to be able to move it directly to the new NAS and not via an intermediate storage device.  As for cost, you could always sell the old units to make it up, but you may want to hold onto one as a backup, since it seems you don't have one at this time.

An RN516 for an RNDP6000-200 is quite a step up, so good for you.

Message 11 of 16
PredatorVI
Tutor

Glad to hear the RN516 is good.  I was a little worried because I haven't stayed up on the current state of the ReadyNAS lineup.

As for the "RMA", I chose the $19,99 cross-ship option where they are sending me the new unit with a pre-paid return shipping label to use to return the old unit.  So I'll have both together for some time, but not forever....and yes, I need to be careful about voiding the warranty.

As to the RNDP600E, I was thinking exactly as you suggested.  I could use it as a backup or sell it after.  It's really the only option I can see (without risking warranty) to move the data since I'd need 12TB of intermediate storage regardless.  Unless the data recovery option is so cheap it is a no-brainer, but I suspect it will be pricey.

Thanks!

Message 12 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The RN516 uses a more powerful CPU, has four times the RAM (4GB) and what's more it's got ECC RAM. It's got some eSATA ports and a HDMI port (it was there for possible future use, but seeing we don't have HDMI on the current models I doubt we'll do more with it than what we do already).

The RN516 has USB3 ports whereas the Pro 6 just has USB2 ports.

Data recovery costs start at about $200 USD (support can confirm the current pricing)

The risk you take if you buy an old unit is that if there's a problem with the disks, array or OS you may still need to contact support for assistance.

Message 13 of 16
PredatorVI
Tutor

I purchased the used RNDP600E off of ebay for $205.00 and it arrived today along with the replacement RN516 from NetGear RMA support.  I want to transfer the drives from the busted RNDP6000 to the 600E.  I've powered up the 600E with a spare drive, upgraded the firmware to the same firmware as the busted NAS (v4.2.31) and now want to transfer the 5 drives from the busted NAS to the new (used) 600E.  

I am unable to find a specific KB article on how to do this.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Message 14 of 16
PredatorVI
Tutor

After reading a bunch, I decided to try moving the drives and powered up the RNDP600E and it came right up!  So nice!  Now I'm copying the data off to the new RN516 and will use the 600E as a backup.

Slick as a whistle!

I'm pleasantly surprised that they sent me a new unit instead of just a refurbished one of equivalent generation to my old unit.  Now crossing fingers that all 10 TB can copy safely.  🙂

Thanks for all the help and pointers!

Message 15 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

From memory after moving disks from a RAIDiator-x86 system to another RAIDiator-x86 system it's recommended also to go the Status > Health page and recalibrate the fan.

The Pro 6 was discontinued about 3 years ago now, a few generations of models ago. If there is no stock currently available of the unit you purchased support may at their discretion choose to offer a suitable alternative (e.g. a newer model that replaced the one you have) as a replacement if they have one in stock.

As per the warranty T&Cs replacement units may be refurbished.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements