× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Must refresh share permissions every day

bcmit
Aspirant

Must refresh share permissions every day

We have five shares, each granting access to a different group of staff. An example:
Share name: Accounting
Group name: gAccounting
Staff in group: bob, fred, joe, sam

If Fred creates a folder, no one else can write to that folder until I go into FrontView and do the following:
- Shares
- Share listing
- (choose the Accounting share)
- CIFS
- Advanced Options
- Check the box marked "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings. This option is useful in cases where you are changing security levels and need to workaround file access problems."
- Apply

How can I fix this?
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Must refresh share permissions every day

On the CIFS tab,there is an "Advanced CIFS Permissions" section

Try setting the group access to read/write for both files and folders, and checking "Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this."
Message 2 of 4
bcmit
Aspirant

No, that didn't solve it.

In order to checkmark "Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this", one must first checkmark "Automatically set permissions on new files and folders." On my ReadyNAS NV+, having "Automatically set permissions..." checked will not allow other group users (ever) to add new files to another group member's folder. Not even after re-running the "Set ownership and permission..." function in the Advanced tab. This is also something that I don't understand as it appears counter-intuitive.

With neither of those checked, I must manually re-run the "Set ownership and permission..." function any time a group user creates a new folder in order for other group members to add/modify files -- but at least it is possible.
Message 3 of 4
msd
Luminary
Luminary

I am also interested in an answer to this question as I see this happen regularily. Its a nightmare if security of files is important,
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements