× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS 104 connectivity and backup problems

tomiaurednik
Tutor

NAS 104 connectivity and backup problems

I have some NAS 104 in production with my clients:

Problems:

I set all my NAS to static IP in LAN.

1. Continuously Ping (ip –t) to NAS works fine, but in admin console I receive connectivity problem every 15 sec … I refresh it and it happens again … So I cannot work … 
  2. Back up – when computers are in sleep mode BCK log error appears: source cannot be mounted. How to fix that not to set that computers are all the time awake? 
  3. Cannot backup open files (Customers have open their outlooks all the time so backup is never successful (I suppose because of open file (outlook.pst file)). BCK log error appears: source cannot be mounted.

Any help will be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: NAS 104 connectivity and backup problems

@tomiaurednik wrote:

Continuously Ping (ip –t) to NAS works fine, but in admin console I receive connectivity problem every 15 sec … I refresh it and it happens again … So I cannot work … 

What firmware are you running?  What apps are running on the NAS?  Is this happening like clockwork (every 15 seconds), or is it variable?

Back up – when computers are in sleep mode BCK log error appears: source cannot be mounted. How to fix that not to set that computers are all the time awake? 

OS 4.2.x had a WoL before backup feature which could take care of this.  But OS 6 didn't carry that forward.  You might want to post a suggestion in the ideas for storage section that it be added back.

Without WoL you need to wake the computers on schedule some other way so the backup can be done.  There is an example of how to do that on a Windows PC here: http://www.howtogeek.com/119028/how-to-make-your-pc-wake-from-sleep-automatically.  

Alternatively, If WoL is configured on the PCs, there are some management tools that can wake them up from a server.  But I don't know of any ReadyNAS apps that will do that.

Cannot backup open files (Customers have open their outlooks all the time so backup is never successful (I suppose because of open file (outlook.pst file)). BCK log error appears: source cannot be mounted.

The NAS backup can't do this.  You'd need to have run a suitable backup program on the PC.  Basically the PC backup program needs to create a snapshot on the PC, and backup up from there.  This typically uses the Microsoft VSS service.

Message 2 of 4
tomiaurednik
Tutor

1. OS 6.2 / non or Antivirus/ variable: depending from which computer I connect to the NAS (on some cumputer also vriable)

Message 3 of 4
tomiaurednik
Tutor

Hi

Any news about this question:

Continuously Ping (ip –t) to NAS works fine, but in admin console I receive connectivity problem every 15 sec … I refresh it and it happens again

1. OS 6.2 / non or Antivirus/ variable: depending from which computer I connect to the NAS (on some computer also variable)
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements