× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ v.1: 4.1.10 -> 4.1.13 lost admin password

HACY
Aspirant

NV+ v.1: 4.1.10 -> 4.1.13 lost admin password

NV+ (v.1). After the upgrade the admin password is lost. Not the previous one (I was able to do the upgrade, so it is not forgotten), neither either of default ones.

I did the OS-Reinstall (press reset with paper clip, power on, wait about 5 seconds until LCD text changes, remove paper clip), no help.

What next?

I can access the shares, only the admin www-pages are unaccessible.

Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NV+ v.1: 4.1.10 -> 4.1.13 lost admin password

It's possible if your OS partition was quite full that the /etc/passwd file may have been corrupted.

Or if you don't even get a login prompt Frontview may not be loading due to e.g. an add-on that is not compatible with the new firmware.
Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

HACY wrote:
NV+ (v.1). After the upgrade the admin password is lost. Not the previous one (I was able to do the upgrade, so it is not forgotten), neither either of default ones.
I am confused on exactly what you are saying.

If the last thing you did was an OS reinstall, then the admin password should be netgear1.

If the last thing you did was the firmware upgrade, then the admin password should not have changed.

If you don't have a backup, you probably should make one.

If neither password works, then perhaps try a different browser first.

One thing you could do is back up all the data (since you can access the shares), and rebuild it (do a full factory reset, recreate the configuration, reinstall any addons, reload all the data).
Message 3 of 5
HACY
Aspirant

backup taken.
first I did Firmware upgrade. It should not have changed the password, but it did.
Then I did the OS re-install to try to reset the password, No help.

I have upgraded it pretty many times during the years, so os partition might be pretty full.
Factory reset and reload the data is the next one in "to do" list... But it has to wait two weeks while I am away.

Message 4 of 5
HACY
Aspirant

HACY wrote:
...I did the OS-Reinstall (press reset with paper clip, power on, wait about 5 seconds until LCD text changes, remove paper clip), no help...

In the end it was my error. "... wait about 5 seconds until LCD text changes..."

I did it again, this time I took the Readynas from the shelf to the table to be able to read what the LCD says. Around 5 seconds the LCD text changes actually two times. On the second time it says "OS Reinstall" and when I waited that second text before releasing the reset switch, the Readynas finally started the reinstallation process and also reset the admin password to the default one. First time I probably was too hasty on doing this.

Case closed, success.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements