× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NVX expanding array - not getting expected capacity?

r00x
Aspirant

NVX expanding array - not getting expected capacity?

Hi everyone, I've got an NVX which was bumping up against the available free space so I decided to expand the array.

The original drives were a mish-mash (having already been expanded):

1: 2TB
2: 1TB
3: 500GB

This yielded ~1.36TB of space which was in line with expectations.

Sure, I could have added a fourth disk but figured I might as well replace the old 500GB disk. So I switched in a 3TB drive, and the arrangement is now:

1: 2TB
2: 1TB
3: 3TB

I had expected something north of 2TB in this configuration, maybe ~2.7TB. Instead this morning the NAS was reporting (pardon me, I'm at work so this is from memory, will check tonight) around ~1.8TB free space?

Is that normal?? The NAS and volume seemed happy and healthy. Just way smaller than I expected!! The 3TB drive is on the compatibility list so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Hmm. This NAS has not been restarted - it was resyncing overnight and had completed resync with the capacity mentioned above in the morning. Will it need to be restarted to go through a second expansion process?

Data is backed up on a ReadyNAS NV+ so I can trash the array and start again if necessary, just wondering if it IS necessary or not 😄
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try restarting it. It can take a few reboots before expansion takes place.
Message 2 of 5
r00x
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply! I will try it this evening. On finding it this morning I just checked it was healthy then powered it off (in case it actually wasn't) so will see what it does when I get home.

Is it normal for it to *partially* expand like this during a resync, then? It clearly has expanded at least a little... Does it normally do it in stages?
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

"Vertical" expansion (using the extra capacity when you upgrade to a larger disk) usually takes a reboot.

Your disk configuration should give you about ~3TB (which is 2.7 TiB). Note Frontview reports TiB and GiB (multiples of 1024, not 1000). 1 TB of space on drive 3 cannot be used with your current mix of disks.
Message 4 of 5
r00x
Aspirant

Finally had time to look at it properly instead of during the morning rush. Turned it on and it did a few things (including rebooting itself, looked like) and now I have a happy ReadyNAS with the expected ~2.7GB storage!

Crisis over, then. 😄 Thanks for the replies.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements