× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Network issue with ReadyNAS 312

Cracker
Tutor

Network issue with ReadyNAS 312

Hi, Looking for a bit of help on this one.

When I connect my 312 to an R7500 router it brings the whole network down, no internet access and to the point where a wireless device won't connect to the router, this affects wired & wireless. This network has been configured and running well for about 2 months with no updates/changes in that time frame
I have tried a factory default, an OS install, different firmware levels, Ethernet cables and a different router (VM Superhub2) but still have the same issue.
For a few days i had a direct connection between the 312 & my laptop and it looked as if it was ok so I connected it to my router and noticed the corresponding light on the top of my router was blinking constantly and I have also noticed that the light on the LAN port that its connected to on the router(s) is pretty much constantly blinking - indicating activity.

I connected the 312 to an old Cisco e4200 router not connected to the internet(trying to debug without affecting the whole household) and it doesn't have the same effect on the router but looking at the network section on the performance page there is an almost constant tx, only looks like a few kb buts its constant.

Any ideas much appreciated
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please connect the 312 to your R7500 then after you lose access, connect the ethernet cable from the NAS directly to your PC (without rebooting the NAS) and then download and send me the logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)
Message 2 of 11
Cracker
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply, i am at work at the moment but i will send the logs as soon as i get home.
Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I see you downgraded to 6.2.0?

Why is that?

I would have preferred the logs from 6.2.4.

Is the workgroup name for the NAS the same as the workgroup name for your network?

Is the NAS configured with a static I.P. or a dynamic one?

Can you clarify what you mean by the network going down?

Do all of your devices lose network connectivity when this happens?
Message 4 of 11
Cracker
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
I see you downgraded to 6.2.0?

Why is that?
Downgrading to 6.2.0 was done to eliminate 6.2.4 as a possible issue

I would have preferred the logs from 6.2.4.
I can update to 6.2.4 and send the logs again

Is the workgroup name for the NAS the same as the workgroup name for your network?
Yes

Is the NAS configured with a static I.P. or a dynamic one?
IP address is static

Can you clarify what you mean by the network going down?
All devices connected to the router lose internet connectivity, any device not connected to the router will have trouble obtaining an IP Address. This only happens when this NAS is physically connected to the router

Do all of your devices lose network connectivity when this happens?
Yes
Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is the static I.P. address set in settings on the NAS or in the router settings?
Message 6 of 11
Cracker
Tutor

It is set as static on the NAS, I have the address for the NAS reserved on the Router as well. This was my initial setup which worked without issue.
Message 7 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is the DNS server setting set correctly on the NAS?
Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Cracker wrote:
It is set as static on the NAS, I have the address for the NAS reserved on the Router as well.
There's no point in reserving the address if you aren't setting up the NAS to use DHCP.

I suggest using address reservation instead of a static address - among other benefits it insures you end up with a valid IP configuration.
Message 9 of 11
Cracker
Tutor

It appears the DNS settings contained a 192.168.0.1??? Not sure where this came from, since the DNS settings on the router don't include a 192.168 address.

I removed all the DNS settings and it didn't bring the network down - a good sign.
I carried out a factory reset and then updated the firmware and noticed that the DNS settings had just 192.168.1.1 in it, which works but i thought that would just have been regarded as the gateway and not DNS.

Anyway it has now been up and running for 12hrs so i hope that's it sorted.

Gents, Thanks again for all your help.
Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Cracker wrote:
...and noticed that the DNS settings had just 192.168.1.1 in it, which works but i thought that would just have been regarded as the gateway and not DNS...
It depends on the router. Some pass along the DNS servers that they received from your ISP. Others act as a DNS proxy, and essentially become the DNS server for your home network.

Yours apparently takes the latter approach (as do Netgear routers btw).
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements