× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New disk failed after sync. How do I recover?

network23
Aspirant

MORE HELP PLEASE!!

Okay, I was able to get them to accept back all the Seagate 2TBs...even the one that hadn't failed yet.

I had replaced all but that one in the NV+ and it was working fine.

So, I removed the good 2TB drive and replaced it with one of the previous 1TBs.

I let it Sync overnight.

It's been 2 days. The drive light on the NV+ is flashing and the LCD screen says Disk 2 Sync.

I cannot access the NV+ from my computers and RAIDar does not see the NV+.

Would it be safe to try and reboot it?

What should I do???
Message 26 of 36
godthehamster
Aspirant

I have the same drives, 12 of them with a ReadyNAS3200 and am experiencing the same issue. Three NAS have all displayed this problem with these drives. The first one was Bay 8, the second was 5 and 11, now its 5 8 and 12. Disks show up and work fine in windows machines, they work fine in other slots on the NAS, they just will not work in the NAS, other disks known good disks of the same model dont work in 5 8 or 12. seems pretty freakin odd to me. :x

WTF.

Even if i get it working at this point there is no way im putting this thing in production.
Message 27 of 36
Sandshark
Sensei

I have an Ultra4+ populated with those drives, though a different firmware revision. I upgraded from what I think was 4.2.19 to 4.2.22 (not sure, but I had skipped a couple of versions) and began having all kinds of trouble with the drives. I found from this forum that I was not alone. I backed off to 4.2.21 and all is well except that it mis-reports some SMART data. I have not tried 4.2.23. I suggest you back down to 4.2.21 and then try the "bad" drive again.

Many of my problems seemed to be when spinning up from a sleep cycle, so originally I also disabled drive spin-down. I've since re-anabled it and there do not seem to be any problems, but it also sees a lot less use since I added a 6-bay Pro to the mix.
Message 28 of 36
StaticFree
Tutor

I wish I had known about this quirky issue before I bought 2 brand new same model of Seagate 2TB ST2000DM001 drives that OP reported issues with. I have a ReadyNAS RND-4000 4 bay unit that was using a single 1.5TB Seagate drive for a few years.
I decided to up my capacity and inserted one of the new Seagate 2TB drives into slot 2 and waited all day for it to finish sync'ing up and initializing it. After it completed, I started transferring some files over to the ReadyNAS and BOOM, the file transfers halted in the middle of the transfer and my Windows 8.1 PRO system reported that it was having connection problems with the ReadNAS. After a few minutes, the ReadyNAS came back online connected again and I got error notification email from it saying:
"A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity. It is recommended that you perform a RAID volume resync from the RAID Settings tab ( accessible in the Volumes page => Volume tab in FrontView ). The resync process will run in the background, and you can continue to use the ReadyNAS in the meantime."

I log into the ReadyNAS unit to do the recommended resync, but it won't let me! The resync button is greyed out and it does not let me manipulate the new 2nd drive saying that it is "DEAD".
With that disappointment, I submitted for an RMA for the two new 2TB Seagate drives I bought from newegg.
Meanwhile, I tried to connect the supposedly bad "DEAD" drive to my Windows PC via USB adpapter and proceeded to format it. It finished formatting and I've copied tons of files over to it without a problem. The disk check report no problems found with the hard drive!
So, conclusion? I think it is the ReadyNAS unit that is quirky and not the Seagate 2TB hard drives (this particular Seagate model ST2000DM001). The firmware version on each drive says it is CC27.
Date says: 14051 Site: WU. Whatever that means. Did I get old firmware drives that don't work in RAID mode? Got them on sale from newegg.com and they did not come in sealed antistatic bags but rather taped shut bags. Are these old or refurbed drives they sold me maybe, thus the deep discount sale price? (But they claimed to be new).
I am thinking of cancelling my RMA now but it still leaves me wondering and worried if these drives I got might have something wrong with them or was it just the flaky Netgear ReadyNAS unit that is at fault!
Message 29 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you check the disks using SeaTools? Formatting a disk and writing to it is not enough to verify the disk is O.K.
Message 30 of 36
StaticFree
Tutor

Hi, no not yet. Have not got the chance. I have to down load the tool and install it and then connect the drive internally before I can test it like that.
Unless it will be just as a reliable test working through my USB drive adapter. I will try to get around to doing this test if I can find the time. Too busy I am.
And all this is really a hassle to me getting in my way (time wise). sigh!
Message 31 of 36
StephenB
Guru

You can test using a USB adapter.
Message 32 of 36
StaticFree
Tutor

StephenB wrote:
You can test using a USB adapter.

Well, I downloaded the seatools utility and tried to install it on my Windows 8.1 Pro WMC computer. It says that this software is incompatible with this OS!
What a pain in the butt. The Seagate site says it is Windows 8 compatible so I figured it would work on Windows 8.1... should not be much of a difference with regards to this utility's function! But no.
I opened a support ticket with Seagate on my drive and this software util for now.

I know I could probably install it in compatibility mode, but I want to make sure that it does not compromise the software's function in any way and cause it to give false test results.
Would you know if it is okay to run it in compatibility mode (say like for Windows 7 mode) on Windows 8.1 ? Or is there a place to download a latest version perhaps that is fixed to install properly on Windows 8.1?

Update: I went ahead and forced it to install in Windows 8 compatibility mode. It still prompts you that it is incompatible with my Windows 8.1 OS but I forced it to go install anyway. It installed now and I will run it to see what it does.
Message 33 of 36
StaticFree
Tutor

FYI, the Seagate drive passed the seatools short and long tests. The drive is working fine on my Windows 8.1 Pro PC. It just does not work well with the Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ RND-4000. I wonder if Netgear is going to offer anymore firmware update fixes to this NV+ v1 model that I bought a few years ago.
Message 34 of 36
rickw1
Aspirant

Got a similar problem with my ReadyNAS Duo. Bought 2 Seagate 2TB drives (Model: ST2000DM001) and both fail to sync. Haven't tested the drives with seatools yet, but it sounds like I would be wasting my time.
Would you recommend I try to have the drives swapped with another model and if so which one?
Message 35 of 36
StephenB
Guru

With Seagate the full model name includes the part after the dash (e.g., ST2000DM001-9YN164). Drives with different suffixes are not the same (can have different number of platters, require different firmware, etc).

If you can easily exchange the drive (with the seller), then there probably is no reason to run seatools. But if you can only RMA it to seagate, you still might want to.

As far as other options, I wouldn't get use a "green" drive. I'd get either an ST2000VN000 or a WD20EFRX. Unfortunately neither are on the compatibility list. Personally I'd get them anyway.

With the Seagate (ST2000VN000) the sector count might not match what you have now (assuming you have 2 TB drives already). If so, you might need to do a factory reset and restore from backup.

With the WDC, you should look at the load cycle counts (one of the SMART stats) after install. If they continually increase, you might want to reset the head parking threshold.
Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements