× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No sync when inserting replacement drive in ReadyNAS 212 (Fw 6.10.10)

dacarson
Aspirant

No sync when inserting replacement drive in ReadyNAS 212 (Fw 6.10.10)

Hi,

After many years Drive 2 on my ReadyNAS Duo was starting to fail. So I hot swapped the drive, but it won't sync to the replacement drive. I have tried attaching the replacement drive to my mac via a SATA <->USB3 and it had no issue initializing, formatting and using it. The drive is identical to Drive 1. 

As can be seen when I mouse over the replacement drive, it shows its capacity correctly of 7.3T (aka 8T) but it shows two? drives with zero free space on the left hand side of the screen.

I tried removing and putting the drive back in, as seen in the logs, but it doesn't want to sync.

Any ideas? 

Mar 24, 2024 08:20:43 AMDisk: Disk Model:ST8000VN0022-2EL112 Serial:ZA1CGB0D was added to Channel 2 of the head unit.
Mar 24, 2024 08:15:34 AMDisk: Disk Model:ST8000VN0022-2EL112 Serial:ZA1CGB0D was removed from Channel 2 of the head unit.
Mar 24, 2024 08:08:41 AMDisk: Disk Model:ST8000VN0022-2EL112 Serial:ZA1CGB0D was added to Channel 2 of the head unit.
Mar 24, 2024 07:59:19 AMDisk: Disk Model:ST8000VN0022-2EL112 Serial:ZA1CGB0D was removed from Channel 2 of the head unit.
Mar 24, 2024 06:05:07 AMBackup: Error backup job DavidPhotos: Failure during copy.
Mar 24, 2024 01:00:30 AMVolume: Volume data is Degraded.
Mar 24, 2024 12:44:32 AMDisk: Disk Model:ST8000VN0022-2EL112 Serial:ZA1CGB0D was added to Channel 2 of the head unit.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
dacarson
Aspirant

Re: No sync when inserting replacement drive in ReadyNAS 212 (Fw 6.10.10)

To fix the issue of formatting a drive with a "foreign" OS, I needed to 'Destroy" the drives that appeared, then remove and re-insert the drive. Now it is re-syncing. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
dacarson
Aspirant

Here is the screen shot I refer to in my post.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 9.05.13 AM.png

Message 2 of 6
dacarson
Aspirant

Looks like the same issue as reported here:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/ReadyNAS-RN214-will-not-resynch-new-disk...

There is a comment stating:

"Did you format it via the NAS GUI?  If the drive is formatted with a "foreign" OS, the NAS won't add it for fear it's overwriting data you need. "

I did format it with a "foreign" OS. Is there anything I can do now?

Message 3 of 6
dacarson
Aspirant

To fix the issue of formatting a drive with a "foreign" OS, I needed to 'Destroy" the drives that appeared, then remove and re-insert the drive. Now it is re-syncing. 

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Note that a "Duo" here means one of two specific models (the original Duo launched in 2008, or the Duo v2 launched in 2013).  Calling your RN212 a "Duo" creates confusion.

Normally you don't insert formatted disks into an OS-6 NAS, instead you insert blank disks.  What happens if you select the new drive in the center pane, and then click on "Format" on the right?  EDIT: you did much the same thing by destroying the two volumes in the left pane.

@dacarson wrote:

but it shows two? drives with zero free space on the left hand side of the screen.

FWIW, these aren't drives.  The left side of the screen is showing volumes that the NAS is detecting.  The two at the bottom are false detections - likely a result of the Mac formatting.

Message 5 of 6
dacarson
Aspirant

Thank you very much for getting back to me and your comments.

@StephenB wrote:

Note that a "Duo" here means one of two specific models (the original Duo launched in 2008, or the Duo v2 launched in 2013).  Calling your RN212 a "Duo" creates confusion.

My apologies. I had a Duo v2 before the RN212 and they look the same, though it had slipped my mind that they are different units. 

Normally you don't insert formatted disks into an OS-6 NAS, instead you insert blank disks. 

I did try just inserting the blank disk first but nothing happened when I did that. That was why I tried formatting it on the Mac to make sure the disk was fine. 

What happens if you select the new drive in the center pane, and then click on "Format" on the right?  EDIT: you did much the same thing by destroying the two volumes in the left pane.

The "Format" on the right wasn't available. When I moved the cursor over it, the cursor didn't change like it did when I moved over the RAID button.  I tried clicking on it but nothing happened. Though as mentioned I was able to destroy the two volumes, then remove and re-insert and it did start sync'ing.

@dacarson wrote:

but it shows two? drives with zero free space on the left hand side of the screen.

FWIW, these aren't drives.  The left side of the screen is showing volumes that the NAS is detecting.  The two at the bottom are false detections - likely a result of the Mac formatting.

Thank you. I wasn't sure what they were as the Mac only showed one partition of the full disk space, but there were two listed. They also said they were zero size. 

My RN212 has finished syncing and it is all up and running perfectly now. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements