× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: File system and / or Hard Drive diagnostics in OS6

fream wrote:
Missing things
I also miss that there is no WebDAV support in OS6 so for the time being I guess I will be using RN Remote App from the Mac when not at home.

WebDAV is already there in 6.1.x. If you click the Settings option on your share, enable HTTP under Network Access. You should see a WEBDAV section on the left, under SECURITY and HOSTS.
Message 701 of 1,275
fream
Aspirant

Skywalker wrote:
fream wrote:
Missing things
I also miss that there is no WebDAV support in OS6 so for the time being I guess I will be using RN Remote App from the Mac when not at home.

WebDAV is already there in 6.1.x. If you click the Settings option on your share, enable HTTP under Network Access. You should see a WEBDAV section on the left, under SECURITY and HOSTS.

So true! Thanks for the quick reply!

(Just wish the rest of "the Internet" had this information... 😛 I could not find it in any release notes or documentation/help files.)
Message 702 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

This morning I saw that OS 6.1.3 is available directly on readyNAS but is still not announced. You can see the release notes there : http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23919
I won't jump on this boat this time (my temps and fans are ok for now). I would have like to see a spin down for the update, hopefully the next will ad this important feature for the health of ANY hard drive.
Message 703 of 1,275
meche
Aspirant

We can perform an update directly without alter manually the firmware for X86 legacy support ? (sry for my english ^^)
Message 704 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

Yes you can upgrade the firmware through a clic inside the webinterface (called Frontview). Even if your Readynas OS 6 is on a legacy (unsupported) hardware.
However, if your NAS is perfectly working for the features you're using and if, in the release notes, you can't find any fix or improvement on something you want use, then it's probably better to wait. Like usual : "If it ain't broken don't try to fix it"
Message 705 of 1,275
mangrove
Apprentice

Has anyone quick instructions for how to get rid of that pesky "please register your device" warning?
Message 706 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What happens if you click the register button?
Message 707 of 1,275
MueR
Aspirant

Is there any up-to-date instruction on installing the latest firmware on an Ultra 6? I've been browsing through the last 15 pages or so and haven't been able to find it.
Message 708 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you already running a prior version of ReadyNAS OS 6 or are you running 4.2.x still?
Message 709 of 1,275
mangrove
Apprentice

mdgm wrote:

NTGR have no business nagging their users to register. Not that you would ever criticize anything they do.

For other, more interested parties: Modify /frontview/dashboard/frontview_1.0.2.50.js (this javascript file will be updated, so version numbers change, this is for 6.1.3). Search for this string:

if(this.sysinfo.getRegistered()=="0")

...and change == to != for:

if(this.sysinfo.getRegistered()!="0")

to disable the nagging screen. Do note that this doesn't actually disable the check itself, there is a settings file (or even a phone home function) behind the curtain.
Message 710 of 1,275
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

mangrove wrote:
mdgm wrote:

NTGR have no business nagging their users to register. Not that you would ever criticize anything they do.

I think by "click the register button", he just meant "click the register button". You can close the registration window without filling out the form.
Message 711 of 1,275
mangrove
Apprentice

Possibly, in that case, sorry. Of course I have done that. Although, that doesn't remove the nagging screen which leads me to believe that there is a phone home feature for this, too.
Message 712 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

I believe it checks on boot, and when the network cable is connected. At least thats how OS4 works.

On RAIDiator 4.x, FrontView looks for the existence of /ramfs/.registered file (created from the /frontview/bin/check_registration process).
OS6 probably stores it in the readynasd SQlite database somewhere.
Message 713 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

When I installed OS 6 I saw this registration notification for few days then after a while it disappeared. After a while it stopped bugging me : I think I once clicked on 'register now' without answering any information. Maybe you could try this.
Message 714 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

It checks if your serial number is registered. If you had registered it previously, either manually on support site, or via Registration button (OS4), it would go away in OS6 also once it does its phone home.
Message 715 of 1,275
StijnS
Aspirant

Thanks for bringing the new OS to my Ultra 2.
Are there any NTGR devs reading here? If so: could they please compile the kernel next time with bridging support? I have one ethernet port short in the corner where my Readynas is standing, so I would like to bridge the two network ports... 😄
Message 716 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Skywalker is the best dev in the ReadyNAS team and he has not only read this thread but posted in it too.

Personally I don't think using the ReadyNAS as a switch would be a good idea even if that were possible. The NAS OS is not designed for that purpose. Far better to get a gigabit switch (there are a number of good NetGear ones, I have some 8-bay ones, a 24-port one and a 28-port one), connect that to your existing network and connect the NAS and other network devices to the switch.
Message 717 of 1,275
meche
Aspirant

arnomc wrote:
Yes you can upgrade the firmware through a clic inside the webinterface (called Frontview). Even if your Readynas OS 6 is on a legacy (unsupported) hardware.
However, if your NAS is perfectly working for the features you're using and if, in the release notes, you can't find any fix or improvement on something you want use, then it's probably better to wait. Like usual : "If it ain't broken don't try to fix it"

Thanks for this quick answer ! I just wait for more feed back 😉
Message 718 of 1,275
StijnS
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Skywalker is the best dev in the ReadyNAS team and he has not only read this thread but posted in it too.

Personally I don't think using the ReadyNAS as a switch would be a good idea even if that were possible. The NAS OS is not designed for that purpose. Far better to get a gigabit switch (there are a number of good NetGear ones, I have some 8-bay ones, a 24-port one and a 28-port one), connect that to your existing network and connect the NAS and other network devices to the switch.

I have plenty of network switches, but for only a printer, it seemed a bit overkill to put in another switch if the NAS has two ethernet ports.
For now I'll place the switch and wait impatient for printer support in OS6. 🙂
Message 719 of 1,275
mangrove
Apprentice

StijnS wrote:
I have plenty of network switches, but for only a printer, it seemed a bit overkill to put in another switch if the NAS has two ethernet ports.
For now I'll place the switch and wait impatient for printer support in OS6. 🙂

You could always port forward one to the other with some sort of utility, netcat for example. Typically, only port 9100 has to be forwarded.
Message 720 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

mangrove wrote:
You could always port forward one to the other with some sort of utility, netcat for example. Typically, only port 9100 has to be forwarded.

port 9100 is for PDL printing. for LPD/LPR it's 515...It could be also in CUPS. Depends on your network. You can have a look there : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TC ... rt_numbers
If you manage to do it successfully, please come back to explain how you did it 😉
Message 721 of 1,275
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

chirpa wrote:
It checks if your serial number is registered. If you had registered it previously, either manually on support site, or via Registration button (OS4), it would go away in OS6 also once it does its phone home.

There actually is no registration status phone home in OS6. It is all based on a flag that gets set once you click on the Register button.
Message 722 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

Even better, and much simpler!
Message 723 of 1,275
nasischijf
Aspirant

fream wrote:
fream wrote:

Future stuff
I plan on testing to activate Jumbo frames to see if I can get better performance. And also to get a better network switch to be able to use network bonding (on both the Pro6 and the Mac Pro) to see if I can get better throughput.
I also plan on maybe setting up iSCSI and move some of my Aperture libraries to the NAS. That requires to buy a iSCSI-driver for OSX though...

So far a very happy upgrade and purchase! Looking forward to any feedback on the above and also new features in the coming releases of OS6!

I've just configured iSCSI with CHAP on OS6 6.1.2 (RN102) using the free GlobalSan iSCSI initiator 4.1 on OSX 10.8.5 🙂 So, no need to purchase an expensive license 🙂
Message 724 of 1,275
mangrove
Apprentice

Skywalker wrote:
There actually is no registration status phone home in OS6. It is all based on a flag that gets set once you click on the Register button.

In that case, that function doesn't seem to work. At least it didn't on my NAS.
Message 725 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements