× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Performance issues with network Shares

darkavich
Tutor

Performance issues with network Shares

I have a ReadyNas 316, running 6.1.3 firmware (but the problem has existed with prior firmwares)

I have a share that has both CIFS, AFP and NFS. When I access this share via NFS, I rarely see problems, but when I access via CIFS or NFS I have very long time-outs and hangs. Doing a bit of troubleshooting, it doesn't appear to be an MTU size problem (although it behaves like one).

AFP is completely unusable, not only does it never respond with folder contents, it hangs my OSX systems. CIFS is a little more usable, but frequently times out or takes minutes to return a directory listing.

Note, I have a NV+ with the same share and configuration and I do not see any issues. I also see no issues with CIFS/NFS/AFP to other systems on the network, so the problem is with the 316.

I have been reading lots of forum postings that this problem appears to have been around for 2+ years. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

I do have a ticket open with Netgear, but nobody has contacted me yet.

Thanks,
-Steve
Message 1 of 13
darkavich
Tutor

After lots of debugging and process traces I think I have identified the cause of this problem. It appears that the real-time virus-scan utility is causing long delays in file access. Once I disabled the real-time scanning it appears that all the problems have gone away. I am still debugging the traces (it's sad there are no good utilities built in) but hopefully I can identify the cause and Netgear can fix their Antivirus software.
Message 2 of 13
snowbee
Aspirant

I experienced this problem as well (for SMB and AFP, but FTP is super fast), for my rn102 running 6.1.3. Thanks for posting your findings here, I'll try to exclude some folders from being scanned. And I guess I saw "ctscand" tops my readynas CPU now and then. I might not need live scan too.
Message 3 of 13
snowbee
Aspirant

So I just confirmed this happened from my rn102 as well. When Finder hang in AFP access, here's my "top" list in my readynas. As you can see, "ctscand" takes up 94% ~ 98% CPU. Hey Darkavich, can I look at your ticket, I may second you there ... But thanks anyway for helping me identify my problem.

27348 root 30 10 153m 77m 1244 S 94.1 15.6 4:22.22 ctscand
2099 admin 20 0 53820 2548 1424 S 1.3 0.5 4:29.68 qbittorrent-nox
1125 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 1.0 0.0 0:25.06 btrfs-tra
Message 4 of 13
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

ctscand process is Antivirus function, when you access a share, Antivirus will scan the share a time, it will occupy CPU resources.

snowbee wrote:
So I just confirmed this happened from my rn102 as well. When Finder hang in AFP access, here's my "top" list in my readynas. As you can see, "ctscand" takes up 94% ~ 98% CPU. Hey Darkavich, can I look at your ticket, I may second you there ... But thanks anyway for helping me identify my problem.

27348 root 30 10 153m 77m 1244 S 94.1 15.6 4:22.22 ctscand
2099 admin 20 0 53820 2548 1424 S 1.3 0.5 4:29.68 qbittorrent-nox
1125 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 1.0 0.0 0:25.06 btrfs-tra
Message 5 of 13
darkavich
Tutor

Support has been less than useful. So far, this is what they have told me to do:

Re-install my OS
Open up my firewall to the storage and email them the administrator password.

I think my option here is probably to just return the unit and got to another vendor.
Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

They obviously needed to look at the NAS OS. If you won't let them, then you are on your own.
Message 7 of 13
darkavich
Tutor

I have no problem with them looking at the OS, but you don't ask a customer to remove all security and then EMAIL passwords. A simple web-ex session is called for.
Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

You probably could have substituted teamviewer on a PC. Did you suggest it?
Message 9 of 13
darkavich
Tutor

Yeah, that works too. Yes, I quite strongly suggested that an alternative to sending clear text credentials and putting my internal storage on the internet was preferred.
Message 10 of 13
steviep1
Aspirant

I have had an issue since having bought our office an RN316. We have 13 staff all sharing to the NAS and I have been hounded by intermittent problems with access. It's cost us hours of work time. I've now tried this solution and it appears to have solved all the issues.

Thank you very much for having helped with this and posting here.
Message 11 of 13
darkavich
Tutor

You should definitely open a ticket with Netgear as they need to know their Virus product is horrible and cripples the system. I am not sure why they choose to write there own while many other good solutions already exist.

I still have problems with AFP, but I just gave up using this for Time-Machine and use CIFS for all my macs. The iSCSI and NFS have been rock solid though.
Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

darkavich wrote:
...I am not sure why they choose to write there own...
They didn't write their own AntiVirus software. That would have been extremely stupid on their part.

http://www.commtouch.com/press-releases ... antivirus/ and http://www.f-prot.com/
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements