× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Plex Media Server app

K3N8
Aspirant

Plex Media Server app

Hi,

I tried to install the Plex Media app on mu RN104. The R104 clearly had difficulty handling the app. Things were slowing down considerably and the app took half a day just indexing the movies and TV series. The metadata had problems. In all it was a disappointing experience. Is it just me or do you guys have te same issues?

Thankx,

Alexander
Message 1 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Plex Media Server app

I think that is what you could expect, the processor in the 104 is "limited" when it comes to intense processing tasks.
As far as the metadata problem this is probably not related to the readynas, but rather to the provider of the metadata and the media you have?
Its generally accepted and recommended that the 314 would have been better unit from on which to run something like plex.

I run plex on a 316, also had metadata issues but most were fine.
Message 2 of 5
K3N8
Aspirant

Well I think you're right. I'll just use the RN104 for what it is, a NAS. I'll run the applications on my linux server like I always did.

Thankx

Alexander
Message 3 of 5
xxjosh90xx
Aspirant

Hi I'm new here. I was wondering if someone can help me. I want to move my Plex - PMS Content from my HTPC to my new readynas 102. I found this guide but I can understand it.

Moving a PC/MAC Plex database to ReadyNAS
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=63376#wrap

This guide says not to move plugins but I want to add one plugin to the readynas which is the unsupported app store for plex.

If anyone can get back to me this would be great.
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I am not sure what is confusing you. After you install plex, you can try the procedure in your link if you like - though the path on the RN102 is a bit different from the one there. On the RN102, the path is /data/.apps/plexmediaserver.

Another option is to let plex rebuild a new database - if you haven't done a lot of manual editing/entries, that may be faster and simpler.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements