× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 6.7.4 update causing problems on 2 x RN104

gregwhite886
Tutor

RN104 6.7.4 update causing problems on 2 x RN104

We have updated 6 ReadyNas 104 devices today with firmware 6.7.4 to patch the recent documented Samba vulnerability and 2 unts are now not functionning. 1 is stuck at 99% booting an we are unable to revive it using the USB recovery. Another unit looks to keep crashing and although i can browse some of the the data (when it is up and running), 1 folder which is around 700GB just hangs accessing the data. Then the NAS looks to reboot as the Admin page shows the booting status bar.

Both these NAS's had iSCSI LUN configured too, whereas some of the other devices i updateted successfully were SMB shares only, no iscsi.

Has anybody else had any issues? Any help appreciated

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7

We have the same problems with our ReadyNAS 2120v2

Conection-Losses of all Shares (SMB und RSYNC) after 1 or 2 hours of boot. I am remembered on Feb. 2016 after a firmware-update and it took 2 mounths to fix it and I spend weeks of unpaid administation-hours....

Now I'll rip that ReadyNAS out of the server-shelf, get the harddrives out and replace it which something "NOT-Netgear" and problem solved!

Message 2 of 7
gregwhite886
Tutor

Yeah frustrating wasting valuable man hours wrestling with this. However, i think i may have just found the issue. When i first set up the iSCSI LUN's, they were unauthenticated with CHAP. Shortly before the update, i added CHAP authentication to them all and reconnected my hosts. After the upgrade, i started having the issues where all the LUN's went 'Reconnecting' and the NAS box was hanging. I read somewhere that another user had an issue where if any unathenticated hosts tried to connect to a LUN, it would crash the iSCSI service on the NAS. I have since turned off CHAP authentication on the LUNs to test and so far, everything has stayed connected! Not ideal, but for now it is stable and controlled by firewall rules to access.

Let's hope it stays that way else i agree with you...... i'm grabbing a bat as wasted many hours.

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So the problems are all resolved by disabling CHAP?

If not I can have a look at your system if you like.

If you're still having issues you could start by downloading the logs using RAIDar then sending them in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)

Message 4 of 7

No I can't sent you any logs, because I dit an Factory Reset again. I have not time and no drive to find out by my self how to disable CHAP and read hours ans hours form some maybe-sorted-Problems.

I would like to know how to disable Netgear-Firmware-Updates in the future?

Message 5 of 7

It's getting in a hateful regularity to fix Problems after firmware-updates from NETGEAR. How can I diable CHAP on the ReadyNAS? How can I disable automatic-firmware-updates?

Message 6 of 7
gregwhite886
Tutor

On my NAS's, firmware updates won't automatically install and have to be started manually so can't connect on that. As for CHAP, under my individual ISCSI groups, there is an option to untick, Require authenticators to initiate using CHAP. Do that for each group and reconnect your ISCSI drives.

That worked for me.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements