× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 Bug?: Switching from JBOD to X-Raid loses network Vis

Leinahtan
Aspirant

RN104 Bug?: Switching from JBOD to X-Raid loses network Vis

I have, for most of the day, been trying to make the RN104 appear visible under Network. Previously, the ReadyNas had been visible and easily accessed. Suddenly, it decided to no longer be visible.

Here is what we had before and what we did that changed it.
Previously, we only had 1 hard drive in the unit, a simple WD Green 1.5 TB. We decided to use this single drive for our "test" to see if the thing worked. It worked, we were able to easily access it from every computer, MAC and PC (and even the PS3), throughout the network. We even bonded the network connections together into backup mode and everything was working fine. The Hard drive was viewed as a JBOD if I recall correctly.

We decided to keep it, and picked up 2 WD Red Disks (3 TB each). We powered the unit down, removed the Green, and inserted the two new reds. The unit begins to boot up as normal, and we noticed all prior settings had been lost (probably stored on the green), so we re-did them all quickly. We also noticed it was "Rebuilding", for the X-Raid Functionality. It takes 6+ hours to do so. The next day, we look at it via the Raidar Program and everything seems to be working. We then decide to upload some files to it via Explorer...but... It's not there now. Somehow, during the upgrade from 1 Green Disk JBOD to 2 Red Disk X-Raid, the NAS ceased advertising itself to the PCs in the network. As for the MAC's, it displays 2 copies of itself in the Finder, but the MACs are unable to connect via those connections (SMB & AFP if I recall). I haven't tried with the PS3.

I am, however, able to connect via RAIDAR's browse functionality (direct IP connect), and upload files and test the files out through the explorer window when it direct connects. Everything is working this way. However, I want the original discover functionality without having to tell people to create shortcuts that connect to \\192.168.1.xxx over and over. Plus, as of now, I only have the round-a-bout fix for PC's and not for the MACs...

I should also note that I have made both the NAS and my computer now part of the same workgroup. I do see the NAS as a MEDIA device (Cell Phone logo...) and as a STORAGE device under network, but attempting either of those prompts the Webpage access to the device (admin).

I have reset the device back to factory settings again, and I am currently waiting for it to complete its rebuild again. Any help or advice on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN104 Bug?: Switching from JBOD to X-Raid loses network

Do you still have this issue on 6.2.3 Beta?: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=78866
Message 2 of 5
Leinahtan
Aspirant

I have not tried the beta yet. It says I won't be able to downgrade if I install the Beta so I am a little hesitant to do so. Is there any way to go back to 6.2.2 in case it doesn't work?
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It says you won't be able to downgrade to 6.1.x. You can downgrade to 6.2.2
Message 4 of 5
Leinahtan
Aspirant

Well, I applied the Beta Patch to the ReadyNas, my computer has spotted the ReadyNas via Network. Thanks. That seemed to fix it. I'll be checking the other systems and making sure everything is working but I thought you'd like an update.

*Bugs: Default User: Group Membership switching broken.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements