× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN10400 - won't boot, now won't power... anyway to replace?

someotheruser
Aspirant

RN10400 - won't boot, now won't power... anyway to replace?

Have been naively using my RN10400 for years thinking the RAID idea was protecting my data.. bad idea.

This morning i was able to see my NAS root folder but not able to open subfolders. I tried rebooting the NAS and saw t was taking a very long time to boot. It did seem to eventually boot but same result. I could see root folder but couldnt open any folders. I tried going to admin web page and i could see the banner image but no UI to do anything.

Not that this wasn't enough, i tried disconnecting the power cable to move the NAS to my desk so i could work on it better.. and now it won't even power up. Guessing the cable end connector or the power connector itself is broken.

So, many questions:

- is there any way to get support for this device so that i can ask questions?

- my guess is going to be very difficult to now fix the chassis so is there any compatible box i can buy that i can put my drives in without losing all my data? My guess is if there is such a thing this would solve the power up issue but then i would be back and the NAS not booting properly. But perhaps i would be able to use RAIDar or internal self test to find out more.

Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN10400 - won't boot, now won't power... anyway to replace?

Replacement power adapters are inexensive, so you could do a risk buy of one.

You can migrate the disks to any OS-6 NAS (though you will likely need to get a used one if you go down this path).

Message 2 of 12
someotheruser
Aspirant

Already ordered power brick replacement. Suspect a couple weeks to try that.

So OS-6 are anything with model numbers like RN200, 300, 400, etc? And Netgear doesn't sell these anymore? Will see if i can find a used one.

And I am looking at ReclaiMe s/w and buying 4 USB enclosures to see if this at least lets me recover all my data.

Anything else i should be doing?

Thanks for the speedy reply. 🙂

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@someotheruser wrote:

So OS-6 are anything with model numbers like RN200, 300, 400, etc? 🙂

Correct.

@someotheruser wrote:

And Netgear doesn't sell these anymore?

They haven't come out and said so, but there is little-to-none inventory out there.

@someotheruser wrote:

Anything else i should be doing?

No, I think you are pursuing all the options.

Message 4 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

@someotheruser wrote:

So OS-6 are anything with model numbers like RN200, 300, 400, etc? 🙂

Correct.

Or a legacy NAS converted to OS6.  Those will be at least as fast as your 104, and many are faster.  Of course, they're also a lot older.  But that is making them easier to find used as well as less expensive.  Note that your caddies for a 104 won't fit in a legacy unit, so don't make the mistake of buying one without caddies thinking you can move yours over. 

Message 5 of 12
someotheruser
Aspirant

got new power supply and the nas powers up now. no display but leds working. My guess is at some point i plugged in the power plug the wrong way and it has blown the display. that or when i put it back together after taking it apart to check the power connector wasn't broken; possibly a cable or connector to the display was not seated properly. That all being said, the nas is now visible on the network and i am able to open some folders.. but things are still very slow. Running diagnostics with RAIDar and i get:

Successfully completed diagnostics
System
Disk 1 has 40 Current Pending Sectors
Disk 1 has 40 Uncorrectable Sectors
Disk 3 has 31496 Reallocated Sectors
Disk 3 has 31496 Reallocation Events
Disk 3 has 246 Command Timeouts
Disk 3 has 33232 Current Pending Sectors
Disk 3 has 33232 Uncorrectable Sectors
Volume data is degraded
Logs
2022-06-25 20:03:37: data.mount: Directory /data to mount over is not empty, mounting anyway.
2022-06-25 20:03:21: md/raid:md127: raid level 5 active with 3 out of 4 devices, algorithm 2

My guess is one of the drives (#3) is dead. I stumbled upon a page on steps to take to diagnose; which i think may have said remove the bad drive. But will see if i can find that link again.

Message 6 of 12
someotheruser
Aspirant

pulled the bad drive and seems to running normally again. will swap in a new drive tomorrow.

Message 7 of 12
someotheruser
Aspirant

actually not running ok.. it was up enough for me to copy over critical files but it seems to drop off the network after being visible for a while.

plugged in new drive to replace the failed one and it has started resync. After 13 hrs this is at only 14%. These are 4G drives. This can't be that slow can it?

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@someotheruser wrote:

plugged in new drive to replace the failed one and it has started resync. After 13 hrs this is at only 14%. These are 4G drives. This can't be that slow can it?

If you are using SMR disks, then it could take quite a while.  What disk model are you using.? 

Message 9 of 12
someotheruser
Aspirant

This: Seagate BarraCuda 4TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch Sata 6 Gb/s 5400 RPM 256MB Cache For Computer Desktop PC – Frustration Free Packaging ST4000DMZ04/DM004: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07D9C7SQH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

not sure if smr or cmr or how much difference this could make; but now at 18%.. so at this rate this will be another couple days. I am fine waiting if this is how long it takes; just assumed something isn't working as hard to believe it could take this long.

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@someotheruser wrote:

not sure if smr or cmr or how much difference this could make; 

It is SMR and that can make a huge difference in write performance (not just resync times).

If you can still exchange it, I would definitely replace it with a 4 TB Ironwolf.

Message 11 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

@someotheruser wrote:

For Computer Desktop PC

This should have been a hint that it's not intended for a NAS.  But then one manufacturer (Western Digital) still sells SMR drives labeled as for a NAS (WD red).

not sure if smr or cmr or how much difference this could make; but now at 18%.. so at this rate this will be another couple days. I am fine waiting if this is how long it takes; just assumed something isn't working as hard to believe it could take this long.

SMR drives are not designed for sustained writes, as occur in a sync or large file transfer.  Once the buffer fills, they slow to a crawl.  So, you'll see poor performance on large file writes and especially when a scrub is performed.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements