× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN204 can't query local DNS

InteXX
Luminary

RN204 can't query local DNS

When we configure a NIC's settings using the Admin GUI, is that supposed to also make changes to the device's /etc/resolv.conf file?

The reason I ask is because on my device it apparently isn't. Here's a full description of the problem:

https://serverfault.com/q/1157290

As we can see, the /etc/resolv.conf file contains only three IPv6 entries that are all the same and that don't seem to be related to my LAN.

What would happen if I edited this file to specify my LAN's IPv4 DNS servers? Good idea or bad?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Jeff Bowman
Fairbanks, Alaska

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN204 can't query local DNS

@InteXX wrote:

FWIW, my resolv.conf is

And is that the same as is indicated in your GUI? Does it change when you update it in the GUI (e.g. add another nameserver)?

yes, that is the correct server and and matches the GUI. 

When I add 8.8.8.8 from the GUI, that is also added to resolv.conf.  And when I remove 8.8.8.8 again, it is removed from resolv.conf.

IPv6 is disabled on my NAS.  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I'm wonderiing what would happen if you disable ipv6 on the NAS.

FWIW, my resolv.conf is

root@NAS:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by Connection Manager
nameserver 10.0.0.1
root@NAS:~#

Message 2 of 7
InteXX
Luminary

FWIW, my resolv.conf is

And is that the same as is indicated in your GUI? Does it change when you update it in the GUI (e.g. add another nameserver)?

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@InteXX wrote:

FWIW, my resolv.conf is

yes, that is the correct server and and matches the GUI. 

When I add 8.8.8.8 from the GUI, that is also added to resolv.conf.  And when I remove 8.8.8.8 again, it is removed from resolv.conf.

IPv6 is disabled on my NAS.  

Message 4 of 7
InteXX
Luminary

Got it, thanks. The only thing to conclude, then, is that something is preventing the file from being updated on my system. I'll have to manage it manually. I can live with that.

IPv6 is disabled here as well.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@InteXX wrote:

Got it, thanks. The only thing to conclude, then, is that something is preventing the file from being updated on my system. 

Make sure the OS partition isn't full.

And of course double-check the file permissions.

Message 6 of 7
InteXX
Luminary

Something odd happened on the way to the bakery...

I did a round of Static/DHCP changes & saves, and Connection Manager happily set everything back to this:

# Generated by Connection Manager
search INTEXX.local
nameserver fdaa:bbcc:ddee::1

I'm not quite sure what to make of that, but for sure I wasn't pleased. I restored my edits and rebooted to make sure they'd survive. They did.

So I'm inclined to just leave it alone now. If I had more time on my hands, sure. I'd dig down and find the cause of it. For now, though... it's working, so that's that. If for some reason I end up havng to redo 'em once or twice in the coming year, oh well. Such is the toll of fame and fortune.

Thanks for weighing in on the situation. You helped me establish a baseline from which to operate. I appreciate it.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements