× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN2120 updgrade advice

Phil_C
Aspirant

RN2120 updgrade advice

Hello
I have a RN2120 with two 2tb drives and two 3tb drives setup as two seperate Raid 1 volumes. One of the 2tb drives has failed and the 3tb drives are full so I have purchased to 6tb drives to replace the 3tb drives and will use the 3tb drives to replace the 2tb drives.

From what I have read this is a simple but time consuming process.

1) Remove one 3tb drive and replace with 6tb drive,

2) Wait for drives to resync.

3) Remove second 3tb drive and replace wtih 6tb drive.

4) Once resync has occured the full 6tb should be available.

5) Repeat above steps for 2tb array.

Is that the correct procedure? Do I need to shut down the ReadyNAS to swap the disks or does the hot swappability work fine when removing a working disk?

When I remove a 2tb drive and replace it with a 3tb drive will the ReadyNAS see it as a new disk or one that has been removed from the 3tb array?

WIll the 3tb disks need to be formatted before reuse in the 2tb array?

Regards

Phil

Message 1 of 2
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN2120 updgrade advice

Hello Phil_C,

With a failed disk that removes protection from the volume. It needs to be replaced asap, however the replacement disk you plan to put is one of the existing 3TB disks which should be empty and no partition. Since you are planning to expand the volume too, it is much better if you back up all the data then factory reset the NAS with all the disks that you want it to use.

Regards,

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements