× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214: capacity upgrade questions (possibly stuck?)

jneun
Aspirant

RN214: capacity upgrade questions (possibly stuck?)

Good day all,

I've running an RN214 (latest SW) with 4x4TB disks. Recently I've begun upgrading to 8TB disks.  So far I've installed the first then waited for it to sync. Then the same process for the second drive.  All went well.  I followed the same process for the third drive and am looking for some clues as to whether or not things are still going well. 

I inserted the third drive and allowed sync to complete.  RAIDar indicated 100% yet was still indicating Resysc was under way.  Response was real slow or not at all.  Noticing the activity light blinking I left it alone for ~24 hours until the blinking stopped.  Response was still marginal.  The web interface indicated 3x8TB drives and 1x4TB and that all was "healthy."  On the site I read that capacity increase begins with the third drive and that a reboot was required so I selected a device restart from the web interface.

Device has now indicated "Rebooting. See you soon" for ~30 hours.  Device is not accessible. Power light is blinking.  Is it time for a reboot via power removal or should I continue to wait?  Seeking inputs and opinions.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN214: capacity upgrade questions (possibly stuck?)

When you upgrade to larger drives, the second and on (assuming RAID5) need two syncs:  One for the original size (a 4TB partition) and another for the new (another 4TB in your case).  RAIDar must be showing just the first has completed.

Message 2 of 3
jneun
Aspirant

Re: RN214: capacity upgrade questions (possibly stuck?)

Thank you. I eventually pulled the power and when the unit finished rebooting it told me to delete a rogue RAID 1 partition.  Once I did that another sync started and now, 16 hours later, the unit appears functional with ~4TB increase in capacity.  I was a little hesitant to force the reboot but it worked.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements