× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 102 will not update to 6.4.2

Telfon
Follower

ReadyNAS 102 will not update to 6.4.2

I cannot get my ReadyNAS 102 to update from 6.4.0 to 6.4.2.  I go through the update procedure, it says it is updating, reboots, and it is right back on 6.4.0.  I have uploaded the firmware manually and had it download it on its own, same thing.  I have even tried updating to 6.4.1 so I could update to 6.4.2 after, but no deal.

I'm rather upset that there is no official support.  I did not have any problems when I first set the device up, and so I never used the support included with the purchase.  The only reason I need the support now is because of an update Netgear put out over a year later.  So what am I to do, suck it up and pay for support because the company has caused in issue with my system now?  I don't think so.

Please, someone tell me how I can get my ReadyNAS 102 to accept this update?

Thanks in advance

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 14
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Message 3 of 14
ElMassivoG
Aspirant

I am pretty fed up with Netgear.

I run a Win 7 64 bit system. I browse with IE.

Like many, many others my RN102 will not update firmware.

If I login in and check for updates on settings page, I get spinny disc then nothing.

No matter what version after 6.2.5 I download and try to manually upate, it goes through the process, reboots but comes back as 6.2.5. I tried mnaully rebooting from boot men and that didnt work either.

I tried the workaround with the Netgear complete_flash download file which seems to only be 28kb. When I go on APPs and upload, as instructed by Netgear KB page, it waits a while and I get a message that it failed to load.

Hours and hours wasted. No one to phone or email on a product that is a couple of years old and, given the amount of webhits about this issue, seems to be something that Negear have clealy screwed up.

Message 4 of 14
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ElMassivoG,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry for the trouble that you've experienced. Check the following articles that may help us fix this issue of yours.

RN100 cannot update firmware

Firmware Upgrade Guide and Tips

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ElMassivoG if you look under System > Logs does it show that the complete_flash_update package failed to install or that it installed successfully?

That app will download the firmware from the internet and then update the firmware on the flash of the unit. This can take some time especially if you have a slow internet connection.

I have sent you a PM.

Message 6 of 14
ElMassivoG
Aspirant

Hi Brian

I thought I had replied but cannot see it here. Firstly thanks for your interest.  I have tried many times and all I get is failed to install. I had a brainwave and tried copy to flash drive and doing Apps/Upload from there. That failed too. That file is only 20 something kb. Is that right? I have very good broadband. If I could get the thing to upload the flash file it would be quick. The other strange thing is that my system doesn't detect new firmware when I use Settings/Check for Updates. I get the little spinny disc then nothing.

G

logs.PNG

Message 7 of 14
ElMassivoG
Aspirant

another question while on the subject....if I go down the USB recovery route, does that erase data?

Message 8 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

USB Boot Recovery is not the solution here. It is inappropriate for putting 6.4.x or later on the flash of an ARM system that is running older firmware than 6.4.0 as by default it doesn't do a one off update that is an essential part of updating to 6.4.x or later on an ARM system.

USB Boot Recovery puts firmware on the flash. It does not touch the disks or your data. If firmware on the flash doesn't match what is on the disks the system will automatically correct this on the next boot, installing the newer firmware from the flash onto the disks.

The app didn't work and checking for firmware updates didn't work because your NAS can't connect to the Internet. If you set a static I.P. address on the NAS you probably didn't specify the DNS Server addresses. Fix that and you should then be able to use the app to update the firmware.

Message 9 of 14
ElMassivoG
Aspirant

I use static connected to a netgear router (I also use netgear genie).

Q1 Should I change it to assigned by DHCP?

Q2 If not, how do I assign, DNS addresses? Is that the DNS of my service provide or the router? Is there an article to tell me how to do it?

Thanks

Message 10 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is an option to specify the DNS Server addresses (e.g. Google DNS ones).

In current firmware (it may be slightly different back in 6.2.5) in the web admin interface go to Networks > Links, click on the settings wheel for the NIC, click settings and go to the IPv4 tab and you should see the option to add DNS server addresses. Typically this would be the router's I.P. or the I.P.s of some DNS Servers.

There is an article on doing this: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23075 (I think the instructions there may be more for how to do it on 6.2.5 as it is slightly different to what I described above).

I suspect if you fix this or switch back to DHCP a subsequent attempt to install the special app to update the firmware from 6.2.5 to newer firmware will work.

Personally I use DHCP on the NAS, but assign a static I.P. in my router's settings. This way the device gets assigned a static I.P. by the router, but if I switch routers and use a different I.P. range (e.g. if I move it to a different location) I can access the NAS without having to do any reconfiguration of it.

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@ElMassivoG wrote:
 Q1 Should I change it to assigned by DHCP?

I would.  Then reserve the IP address in the router, and you will have the benefits of a static address with none of the drawbacks.

@ElMassivoG wrote:

Q2 If not, how do I assign, DNS addresses? Is that the DNS of my service provide or the router? Is there an article to tell me how to do it?

Well, that depends.  Some routers act as a DNS proxy (and with them you'd use the router address).  Others don't, and with them you'd need to use the ISP addresses.  Most Netgear routers do act as a proxy (perhaps because that is the easiest way to set up parental controls).

It is also possible to use other open DNS servers - Google's for instance are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  OpenDNS uses 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

However, I'd go with my answer to the first question, and only add DNS servers if that doesn't work.

Message 12 of 14
Luthien
Aspirant

hi Brian,

@BrianL2 wrote:

Check the following articles that may help us fix this issue of yours.

RN100 cannot update firmware

thanks! This helped me resolve a similar issue, being stuck on 6.2.5.

That flash update did the trick.

Somewhat mysteriously though, it didn't just update to 6.4.0 as advertised but even all the way to 6.5.1 (the current version at this time).

Heart Woman Very Happy

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 13 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If there is not a firmware image already primed to install the app checks for the latest firmware version on the update server available to update directly to from the version you are currently running and downloads that.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements