× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 No Volume Exists

haigha
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 No Volume Exists

Greetings: I was having an issue with my ReadyNAS 104 [see: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-104-Inaccessible-ReadyNAS-...] which I thought I'd resolved.

I replaced the failing drive #4 and the NAS recognized a new drive had been inserted.

I upgraded to the latest firmware (6.10.8) and rebooted to start the RAID rebuild, but the NAS is no longer seeing any volumes.

I removed the new drive and rebooted again, still no volumes.

Any suggestions/assistance appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 104 No Volume Exists

@haigha wrote:

I replaced the failing drive #4 and the NAS recognized a new drive had been inserted.

I upgraded to the latest firmware (6.10.8) and rebooted to start the RAID rebuild, but the NAS is no longer seeing any volumes.

It would have been better to wait for the resync to complete before you updated the firmware and rebooted.

Do you still have an up-to-date backup?

Message 2 of 6
haigha
Aspirant

I did try waiting for the new drive to rebuild, but the NAS just sat there inactive.

After a day-and-a-half, I decided to try the reboot.

I don't have a full back-up, but I was able to back up my most important files to a USB.

It's looking like I may have to create a new volume and start reloading the files I have backed up.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@haigha wrote:

It's looking like I may have to create a new volume and start reloading the files I have backed up.

If you decide to do that, then I suggest doing a factory default, which would rebuild everything.

You can do that either from the boot menu, or from system->setting in the NAS web ui.

Message 4 of 6
haigha
Aspirant

Thanks for that suggestion.
I may just begin with the single 6TB drive I bought as a replacement, then add additional 6TB drives until all 4 bays are filled.

I ran a diagnostics check, and it looks like my other drives are also failing.

drives.jpg

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

That looks like it may only be Disk 2 failing.  The others are for volumes that include it.

What model drive did you add?  If it's a SMR model (WD Red and many desktop models), then that would be the reason for the lengthy re-sync.  But it's also reason that you don't want it to be a part of your new volume. 

It could be the failing drive that was causing the long re-sync, but you don't seem to have enough errors recorded to give that much trouble.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements