× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314 not copying data

flummoxed
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 314 not copying data

Guys,

PLEASE help me, I'm losing the plot!

I spent a fortune a year or two ago on a ReadyNAS 314 which I got because I loved the previous ReadyNAS I had.

I have an iMac on Yosemite which was working fine until October last year (2015).

Since then, nothing has been backed up, despite there being new content. The backup jobs run and the logs say they are successful yet nothing new is copied. If you manually run the job, it instantly says 'backup successful'.

If I test the connections, they're all OK. I can run timemachine without a problem. I have reset the NAS to factory defaults and set it up again, tried to add one backup job to a share but the same symptom appears. I run a business so I have to have these files copied.

Please can someone help me? I cant see anything wrong yet it will not work.

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 314 not copying data

Can you clarify - are you saying TimeMachine isn't copying the data?  Or is this a built-in backup job on the NAS?

Message 2 of 16
flummoxed
Aspirant

Hi matey, TimeMachine works fine, it's just copying all the data now after I have reset the NAS but the backup jobs complete without doing diddly. It says the job is complete yet nothing is copied whatsoever. I just dont understand. Thanks Ross
Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Can you post the backup job settings here?  Note you can post screen shots (there's an image icon in the toolbar).

Message 4 of 16
flummoxed
Aspirant

Hi,

Sure, these worked perfectly up until October then just stopped for no apparent reason....

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 17.18.38.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 17.18.45.png

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

The place to look first is the remote source.

You might want to try the IP address of the mac, and not the name.  You could also check that the mac is still set up to share the source folder.  If you have another PC, you can attempt to see the Business folder from it.

Message 6 of 16
flummoxed
Aspirant

I already tried using the IP, that had exactly the same result. I have checked the shares too, theyre all OK. The NAS said everything connects and tests fine, so why is nothing coming? I dont get it.
Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@flummoxed wrote:
I already tried using the IP, that had exactly the same result. I have checked the shares too, theyre all OK. The NAS said everything connects and tests fine, so why is nothing coming? I dont get it.

Unfortunately test connection isn't a completely reliable guide. I'm not a mac user, so I can't help troubleshoot that side of things.

Try creating a new backup job (using the same settings), and see if that one behaves differently.  

Message 8 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

So you are backing up data from your Mac to your NAS using a backup job rather than Time Machine?

Message 9 of 16
flummoxed
Aspirant

Hi,

Sorry about the delay, had a family emergency.

I was successfully doing both.

I have reset the NAS to system defaults and wiped it. TimeMachine has completed successfully and the only backup job in place says it's successfully competed but it is lying to me! 🙂

See logs as requested.

Thanks

Ross

Message 10 of 16
flummoxed
Aspirant

Hi, These are brand new backup jobs and are behaving exactly as the old ones did. Thanks Ross
Message 11 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which version of OSX is this e.g. 10.10.5?

Message 12 of 16
flummoxed
Aspirant

Hi, 

This is 10.11.4 but this problem arose about October last year when I was on 10.10.5 (Yosemite).

I am now on El Capitan.

Thanks,

Ross

Message 13 of 16
flummoxed
Aspirant

TimeMachine IS copying fine. The backup jobs created on the NAS say they have completed yet nothing is copied.
Message 14 of 16
flummoxed
Aspirant

I'm still getting nowhere 😞
Message 15 of 16
flummoxed
Aspirant

UPDATE: I have a Windows 10 VM running on VMWare on my Mac. I have created a test folder on the VM and set a new backup on the NAS to copy it, exactly the same way as I did with the files directly on my Mac. I ran the job and it copied the test files perfectly! Therefore, data is coming from the Mac to the NAS but for some reason, the jobs based on the Mac itself as opposed to the VM running on the mac wont copy! Still Flummoxed!!
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements