× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314 stuck on "Booting..." after failed Emby app update

MiltJR111
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 314 stuck on "Booting..." after failed Emby app update

I've been using my ReadyNAS 314 without a problem for several years (I previously owned an NV+ which I've since handed down to my mother and also maintain). Today, I got a notification that a new version of Emby was available. I downloaded and installed it but received an email that the update failed - and that's when it all went downhill.

On the subsequent reboot, the ReadyNAS wouldn't complete the boot process. Here's a rundown of what I tried from that point:

• Initial boot after failed Emby update: Boot process stopped at 95%, at mysqlite
  • Next reboot: boot process stopped at 91%, at mysqlite
  • Did OS Reinstall – boot stopped at 58%, at fvbackup-q.service
  • Forced reboot, same as above.
  • Did USB Recovery – successful
  • Turned device back on, boot stopped at 96% (fvbackup-q.service)
  • Forced reboot, boot stopped at 58% (fvbackup-q.service)
  • Attempted OS Reinstall again – boot stopped at 98% (fvbackup-q.service)

I also attempted connecting via SSH, however this also failed. When connecting over my network, using DNS address and IPv4 address, I get this error:
"kex_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset"

When attempting to connect via Ethernet port directly to the ReadyNAS at 192.168.168.168, I get the error:
"ssh: connect to host 192.168.168.168 port 22: Unknown error"

I have tried both Ethernet ports with the same result.

I have a lot of personal data on the ReadyNAS, so I’d like to avoid a factory reset at all costs.

I do have a spare drive that I could use to backup my data via USB, but I'd have to get the ReadyNAS to actually boot up for that to even work.

Can someone please help? I'm desperate, and it seems that Netgear has officially abandoned these devices.

Message 1 of 7
MiltJR111
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 314 stuck on "Booting..." after failed Emby app update

UPDATE: I did another USB Recovery and immediately followed up with an OS Reinstall, and once again the ReadyNAS got stuck booting at 98%. HOWEVER, I am now able to access Emby and all of my media, but I can't access the admin page or connect over SSH.

Any ideas how to get that access back, and get the ReadyNAS to finish booting?

Message 2 of 7
MiltJR111
Aspirant

At this point, all I want to be able to do is backup my data so I can transfer it to a new NAS. But since the ReadyNAS won't finish booting, I can't. I'm not able to access it via SMB either. It doesn't show up in Windows File Manager at all.

Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Message 3 of 7
MiltJR111
Aspirant

UPDATE: Using the "Tech Support" boot option, I was able to Telnet into the ReadyNAS. I'm able to access my data, but I can't figure out how to mount a USB drive to back it up. Is there an easy way to do that? Since I don't have access to the Admin front-end, I need to be able to do it via the command line.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@MiltJR111 wrote:

UPDATE: Using the "Tech Support" boot option, I was able to Telnet into the ReadyNAS. I'm able to access my data, but I can't figure out how to mount a USB drive to back it up. Is there an easy way to do that? Since I don't have access to the Admin front-end, I need to be able to do it via the command line.

How is the USB drive formated?

Also, does 

systemctl start smb

work?

That would start up the SMB service, so you can access the files over the network.

Message 5 of 7
MiltJR111
Aspirant

It was an SSD I had connected via a USB adapter, and it was brand new and unformatted. When I connected it to the front USB port, it showed up in /proc/partitions and I was able to create a partition table and format it as ext4. I'm now manually copying over my files to the drive.

I would still like to be able to boot the ReadyNAS fully, but as long as I have the data, I can just do a factory reset and copy the data back until I have enough money to move over to a Synology NAS.

Do you have any suggestions on getting Frontview/SMB working again on a normal boot?

P.S. Doing "systemctl start smb" doesn't work because I'm in chroot. I get the message "running in chroot ignoring request"

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@MiltJR111 wrote:

P.S. Doing "systemctl start smb" doesn't work because I'm in chroot. I get the message "running in chroot ignoring request"

Yeah - I thought there was an issue, but didn't recall what it was.

@MiltJR111 wrote:

I would still like to be able to boot the ReadyNAS fully, but as long as I have the data, I can just do a factory reset and copy the data back until I have enough money to move over to a Synology NAS.

Do you have any suggestions on getting Frontview/SMB working again on a normal boot?

Not without having more information on why it is failing.  It might be faster to just to the reset than figuring out what's going on (and of course the reset is guaranteed to fix everything).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements