× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 316 - Out of memory #26736919

cs_giuseppe
Apprentice

ReadyNAS 316 - Out of memory #26736919

Hi,

I have a 316 with 4 WD red 6TB x-raid (raid6) that came out with the error out of memory then the nas was unreachable.

After a forced shudown and boot the nas was reachable for few minutes the came out the out of memory error.

Now I boot in read only mode and the nas is up. I download the logs but I don't found error for my competence.

No warning, all disk are ok, no smart error.

Hany idea?

Firmware is 6.4.1.

Space: 5,37 TB Used; 2,10 TB Snapshots; 3,44 TB Free.

Could be many snapshots? I found some old automatic snapshot that are not deleted during normal maintenance.

Thanks for any help/suggestion.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
cs_giuseppe
Apprentice

Re: ReadyNAS 316 - Out of memory

Hi all,

support Engineering analized my system and found nothing to help resolving the issue Smiley Sad

The only solution is putting the nas in read only mode, backup the data and made a facory reset Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad 

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please email me the logs zip file (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 2 of 13
cs_giuseppe
Apprentice

HI mdgm,

logs sent.

Thanks for the precious support !!!

Giuseppe

Message 3 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the logs.

You do have a lot of snapshots and I can see that there is a high level of fragmentation as a result.

It seems this NAS is mainly used for backups? Is it used for anything else.

We don't recommend taking snapshots on the NAS for backups from your PC. With a huge number of modifications in place to files you will get a huge amount of fragmentation.

It is better to selectively use snapshots for shares for which they are appropriate.

The same applies to the bit-rot protection option (which we link to enabling/disabling CoW though they are two separate things).

Snapshots use CoW at the point in time that they are taken. With CoW when you write changes to files the changes do not overwrite the existing data so with a lot of changes in place you will get a lot of fragmentation.

I would suggest backing up your data, doing a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything), configuring the shares appropriately and then restoring your data from backup.

Message 4 of 13
cs_giuseppe
Apprentice

Hi mdgm,

thanks for the reply.

Yes tha nas is used as a backup device for is big capacity, The snapshot are necessary because we need version of the original files in case of mistakes or ramsomware.

There is a possibility for deleting older snapshot putting the nas in remote support mode?

Before a factory reset I want to try all possibilities

Thanks, Giuseppe

Message 5 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have sent you a PM. I would suggest that you update your support case with the information that I requested.

Message 6 of 13
cs_giuseppe
Apprentice

Hi all,

tech support is analizing the nas and btrfs metadata.......

Giuseppe

Message 7 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the update.

Message 8 of 13
cs_giuseppe
Apprentice

Hi all,

support Engineering analized my system and found nothing to help resolving the issue Smiley Sad

The only solution is putting the nas in read only mode, backup the data and made a facory reset Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad 

Giuseppe

Message 9 of 13
LifeVibes
Tutor

Welcome to the club, although RN104 for us, and even then its not sure its really fixed after factory default.

Reappeared after a month for us after restoring backup on new SW version, see https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Readynas-104-out-of-memory-390-won-t-boot-anymo...

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 10 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well nearly 57GiB of metadata on an 11TiB volume is  a huge amount of metadata. I have a bit over 14GiB of metadata on a volume with a capacity a little under 22TiB and I have about 1.5x the amount of data on my volume compared with what you have.

When the NAS is configured incorrectly for your use case and you get a huge amount of fragmentation you will run out of memory if you don't deal with the problem. It will take longer and a greater amount of fragmentation than with the 100 series, but it can still happen eventually.

Message 11 of 13
LifeVibes
Tutor

Seeing that it also happened just a month after a factory reset for us, just restoring backup and no data changes anymore after that, no apps, no AV, just daily snapshots enabled, all metadata was purely generated by NAS (only 28 snapshots, which shouldnt contain much delta as there were no changes).

So also dont see what could be configured wrong in this case.

BTW seems I screwed up the link above, should be https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Readynas-104-out-of-memory-390-won-t-boot-anymo...

Message 12 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OOM is a generic error. It can be caused by a variety of different things. Anything that causes the NAS to run out of memory.

The 100 series is very different hardware to the 300 series.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements